Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: guru meditation Jun 17, 2012, 23:24 Dev

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 19:09:
also lemmings...

good times
Yes they were. Lemmings was such a great game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. guru meditation Jun 17, 2012, 19:09 space captain

apparently the doc will go into great detail about what went wrong.. amigas had 4096 color display back when VGA was still only 256.. i loved those machines, always wanted one but my family situation was lets say less than ideal

i still remember the agony of waiting like 22 hours for Turbo Silver to render one ray traced frame of some super low poly 3d model.. and using that text to speech app to make some fucking awesome prank calls... also lemmings...

good times

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 14:31 ASeven

I still believe to this day that if Commodore hadn't one of the worst management of all history the PC landscape today would be quite different. The Amiga was very special and had it had a strong company behind it that managed it well and things would be pretty different today.

Thanks for that link, Space captain. Pretty good one, will buy it as soon as it becomes available.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 11:27 wtf_man

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 11:09:
http://www.amigafilm.com/Site/Viva_Amiga_-_The_Documentary_Film.html

It looks like they are already funded on Kickstarter. So I'll probably buy a copy when it is done.

... and yes, I had an Amiga along with my 286 at the time. Too bad it never took off as a viable commercial success. It definitely was ahead of it's time. I remember that Video Toaster was the broadcasters choice of the times... they were beating Apple at their main purpose (creative apps)... so between the PC for business, and the Amiga for creative stuff... Apple was hurting pretty bad at the time. I guess I'm fairly surprised that Apple survived and Commodore went under, given the circumstances.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 11:09 space captain

http://www.amigafilm.com/Site/Viva_Amiga_-_The_Documentary_Film.html  
Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2012, 21:39 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 16:06:
Fucking scamming cunts keep on using the Amiga name to scam people.

Amiga deserved a much better death than this where it's now a shambling zombie, neither alive nor dead. It's a shame to see such a great computer from the past being dragged through the mud for so many years.

Just get the real modernized Amiga OS: http://www.amigaos.net/

With fairly modern hardware: http://www.amigaos.net/hardware/35/amigaone-x1000

/shrug

A bit spendy... but that's something I'd use for online transactions, and have little to no fear of viruses or being hacked. Then there's the nostalgia thing.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2012, 16:06 ASeven

Fucking scamming cunts keep on using the Amiga name to scam people.

Amiga deserved a much better death than this where it's now a shambling zombie, neither alive nor dead. It's a shame to see such a great computer from the past being dragged through the mud for so many years.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 16, 2012, 14:47 Dev

Basically the only reason MS paid, is because AOL is big enough to fight them if they didn't. There's plenty of examples where companies had to sue MS to get any money at all, and MS usually makes them settle for pennies on the dollar of what they own.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo