Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"

"We are 99 percent done," StarCraft II lead designer Dustin Browder told Kotaku when asked about progress on the upcoming Heart of the Swarm expansion for their science fiction RTS sequel. However, he makes it sound like one of those progress bars that will sit at 99% for a while, adding: "but that last one percent's a bitch." He goes on to explain that all the units are in place, but this next phase is open-ended: "It's the tuning and polish that really takes us a long time, and that's where we get into the unknowns."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 09:41 Huzsar

Dades wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 09:08:
You make it sound like $40 is nothing. $40 is still more than half of the cost of a new title even if we use the $60 new title figure. It better have a lot of content.

If I remember correctly when original SC came out it was $50, which was pretty standard price for a new game in '98, and then when Brood war came out it was $30 (more then half of the price of the original) which was also a standard price for the expansion packs back in those days. So after 12 years of inflation for the prices to jump up $10. I would consider that to be not bad at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 09:08 Dades

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 04:22:
HotS for $40

Talking out of your ass much? It was one thing when the announced that they were splitting the game into three and didn't really define what the meant by that. But now, when you can actually preorder the damned thing for $40, I find it rather shocking that people still insist on saying that "IT WILL BE FULL PRICE OMFG!!!".

You make it sound like $40 is nothing. $40 is still more than half of the cost of a new title even if we use the $60 new title figure. It better have a lot of content.

30. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 07:32 Luke

MattyC wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 03:22:
Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 03:07:
Yifes wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:27:
I might be interested, but it depends very heavily on the price. Anything over 20 bucks and they can go fuck themselves.

Creston

Blizzard has never priced their expansions at $20.

I know. And they won't even price this as an expansion anyway. 50 or 60 bucks guaranteed.

At which price, they can happily go fuck themselves.

Creston

They have said they will price it as an expansion, so basically you are just making things up as you go. Blizzard pricing has been high, but it has also been consistent since at least the 90s.

Ranting without any info is just as bad as those people complaining they were 'splitting the game into 3' even though Wings of Liberty was longer than StarCraft 2.

Oh o oh oh blizzAHrd says many thing but when you have payed for there game they just turn around , peps waiting for blizzard to make a pooo and they will swarm attack that pooo, because blizz are the..ahh ahh king

29. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 07:24 Luke

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 00:04:
I might be interested, but it depends very heavily on the price. Anything over 20 bucks and they can go fuck themselves.

Creston

Blizzard also said that each one was going to be its own game, not an expansion so no doubt will be full priced. The price tag is for the campaign.

On a different note, my guess is the last 1% needed to finish is how to shoe-horn Diablo 3's always online DRM into this. And why wouldn't they? Did it with Diablo 3 and the customers loved it so much, they voted with their wallets and made Diablo 3 the best selling game of May. This tells Blizzard that people love always online DRM the most

Ehmm...?..ok

28. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 07:09 shinchan0s

...Yeah.

I'll just watch the cinematics on Youtube for free.

27. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 06:22 Jerykk

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 04:22:
I know. And they won't even price this as an expansion anyway. 50 or 60 bucks guaranteed.

Creston

HotS for $40

Talking out of your ass much? It was one thing when the announced that they were splitting the game into three and didn't really define what the meant by that. But now, when you can actually preorder the damned thing for $40, I find it rather shocking that people still insist on saying that "IT WILL BE FULL PRICE OMFG!!!".

$40 is pretty close to full price for a PC game. For an expansion pack, I wouldn't want to pay more than $30. Even that's pushing it a bit. $20 for an expansion pack seems reasonable.

26. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 04:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston

HotS for $40

25. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 04:03 Dmitri_M

I bought this, played 2 campaign missions and about a week later forgot about it. It felt like I'd bought SC1 again. If you haven't seen an old game for a few years the graphics cease aging and since SC2 just felt like the same game with better graphics..I was underwhelmed. And yes I realise everyone likely expected\demanded the same game but I expected some gameplay improvement or advancement of the RTS genre. I realise we all essentially want a return to the "good old days" but my ideal is a new wave of interesting titles that aren't just rehashes.  

24. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 03:22 MattyC

Creston

Creston

They have said they will price it as an expansion, so basically you are just making things up as you go. Blizzard pricing has been high, but it has also been consistent since at least the 90s.

Ranting without any info is just as bad as those people complaining they were 'splitting the game into 3' even though Wings of Liberty was longer than StarCraft 2.

23. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 03:07 Creston

Creston

Creston

22. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 02:34 eRe4s3r

The expansion costs EUR 54,99 here for pre-order so just for cheap 70$ you can buy this very low priced expansion.

When you found sarcasm in that, you can keep it I just hope that's a joke, or piracy rates are gonna be going through the roof

21. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 02:09 Slashman

Yifes wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:30:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:14:
Coincidence! I'm 99% uninterested...

Good for you, but stop wasting your time posting in these treads if you actually don't care. I'm 100% uninterested in hearing about it.

And when I start caring about what you think or want...I'll try to put that on my to-do list.

20. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 02:04 1badmf

MattyC wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 01:40:
mag wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 00:50:

Creston

Blizzard also said that each one was going to be its own game, not an expansion so no doubt will be full priced. The price tag is for the campaign.

On a different note, my guess is the last 1% needed to finish is how to shoe-horn Diablo 3's always online DRM into this. And why wouldn't they? Did it with Diablo 3 and the customers loved it so much, they voted with their wallets and made Diablo 3 the best selling game of May. This tells Blizzard that people love always online DRM the most

Doesn't SC2 already have the always-on DRM? I thought you had to log in to play? No? (Never bought it)

Ugh, so much misinformation in the comments.

SC2 has offline mode like with Steam games.

SC2 is an expansion and will be priced as such.

SC2 was fun if you liked RTS games and has a large online community. It has also formed into a solid 'esport'. Different things for different people I guess, but I just don't get the guy who thought SupCom 2 was better

That said, don't let me ruin the uninformed hate fest.

i know right? so much superior, snobbish hate from the leet gamer crowd. usually they're somewhat legitimate, but being completely off-base just makes you look like a self-aggrandizing prick.

19. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 01:40 MattyC

Creston

Doesn't SC2 already have the always-on DRM? I thought you had to log in to play? No? (Never bought it)

Ugh, so much misinformation in the comments.

SC2 has offline mode like with Steam games.

SC2 is an expansion and will be priced as such.

SC2 was fun if you liked RTS games and has a large online community. It has also formed into a solid 'esport'. Different things for different people I guess, but I just don't get the guy who thought SupCom 2 was better

That said, don't let me ruin the uninformed hate fest.

18. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 01:04 Huzsar

No, it does not have always online DRM, while you cannot play multiplayer without connecting you can still play Skirmish vs AI and Campaign without Internet connection, kinda like Steam (except unlike Steam off-line mode so far worked for me in SC2). You might not be able to play custom maps off-line either but I am not sure as I did not test that.  

17. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:56 Scottish Martial Arts

A quick look at the official Heart of the Swarm FAQ, or even just a glance at the Amazon listing would show you that that's not accurate. The game is $40: standard Blizzard expansion price.

16. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:56 RollinThundr

Creston

Yeah SC2 already has it. And I won't be buying this. With the debacle that is Diablo 3, Blizzard has officially jumped the shark imo. I'll laugh when they price this at 60 dollars.

MP in SC isn't any fun anyway. All people do is rush 5 mins in to begin with.

15. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:50 mag

Creston

14. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:28 Kastagir

I'd be surprised if anyone cares. Starcraft was a great game (when 640x480 was the norm), but no game sequel is worth $180, which is what Blizzards is asking for it's "sequel in three installments."

13. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 16, 2012, 00:04 Kitkoan

Creston

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo