Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire

Analyst Michael Pachter tweets about yesterday's NPD figures, revealing sales of Max Payne 3 are less than half of those of L.A. Noire for the same period: "Without divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of L.A. Noire's. 8 years in development!" Thanks Strategy Informer.

View
30. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 15:43 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:37:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:12:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:07:
I need to try Arcade mode, see if that lets you play without the CONSTANT interruptions.
Cutscenes are all still present in the arcade mode. I was also hoping they were removed

....... FUCK.

Creston

Considering that the cut scenes are actually curtains to hide the constant loading due to the consolization (Levels literally are one or two firefight rooms per "level", the rest is cutscenes), I'm not surprised that you can't skip them in Arcade.

MP3 left me... conflicted. When it was good it was effing awesome. Otherwise, it was kind of bland and watery. Gameplay wise I found the Favella and the jungle/river/boat dock missions to be shit. Enemy closets, boats full of badguys spawning behind you with no way to know you're being shot at without going into last man standing mode after getting gunned down, bad guys spawning beyond the game's draw distance and of course having perfect accuracy at you, they all pissed me off. The Airport especially had that issue of bad guys spawning beyond the draw limit, or worse yet, terrain that could stop bullets not being drawn and I'd shoot bad guys and nothing would happen because I couldn't see the pillar they were standing behind.

In fact, the entire airport level just kind of pissed me off. The last fight more or less blew.

The flashbacks were actually fun. I enjoyed those pretty much without reservation.

The writing... yeeeech... Okay I'm fine with schlocky writing. But Max... was totally unlikable. Even after he decides to sober up he's still too f*cking emo. His jokes fall flat and it's like Rockstar didn't *want* us to root for the dude.

I retract my "Man on Fire" comparison... that would have actually been kind of a kickass storyline compared to this weird, stupid organ bootlegging thing that is only tangentially related to the original events that set everything off.

That being said, I wasn't thrilled with catching on geometry, and snapping out of bullet time because my lunge was too close to the geometry of the level blew, so I relied *way* too much on cover and bullet time for fine aiming. I still say MP games have been about movement, not about taking cover. And bullet time was funky how it allocated/was used up.

But man, when it worked... it was worth it. The levels where you had office complexes and lots of diving, workable cover, the game opened up and became a blast to play. I had a half a dozen moments where I literally thought "there's no way I should have lived through that!" which was partially why I was so pissed at the narrative. I just got done gun ballet shoot/dodging my way through 15 SWAT team officers at point blank range and came through without a scratch, and in the subsequent cut scene Max is like "Who was I kidding... two dyslexic cripples with a set of brass knuckles between them could take this fat, drunk, washed up american slob out" and I'm like "dude... have you *seen* the fucking wake of carnage and destruction you've left behind you?"

He feels in over his head with gang bangers, when he previously had taken down an army of privately trained mercenaries involved in an Illuminati-like conspiracy. It was a total disconnect, like they couldn't reference what had actually happened in previous games. There is, literally, one sentence about Mona, a toss away where he's like "yeah, she got what was coming to her and that sucked, but I don't care". WTF Mona was the chick who was supposed to "get to" Max after he burned out. That was the point.

I dunno I'm rambling. Technically, aside from the console limitations of tiny tiny levels, it was a good game, plauged by boring levels and cheap "gotcha" moments. But when it worked, it was good stuff.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jun 15, 10:39 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dmitri_M
  7. Jun 15, 11:07  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire ASeven
  37. Jun 15, 18:38   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire cronik
  2. Jun 15, 10:42 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire EricFate
  3. Jun 15, 10:44 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire ItBurn
  4. Jun 15, 10:47 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Verno
  5. Jun 15, 10:54 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Tumbler
  18. Jun 15, 12:54  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Ceribaen
  6. Jun 15, 11:06 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Parallax Abstraction
  8. Jun 15, 11:09 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire wonkawonka
  9. Jun 15, 11:36 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Cutter
  12. Jun 15, 11:54  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Orogogus
  14. Jun 15, 12:03  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire kyleb
  35. Jun 15, 16:56  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Elf Shot The Food
  10. Jun 15, 11:53 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire NegaDeath
  11. Jun 15, 11:54 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Panickd
  13. Jun 15, 11:55 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire ochentay4
  15. Jun 15, 12:07 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Acleacius
  16. Jun 15, 12:20  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire J
  17. Jun 15, 12:31 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jonah14
  19. Jun 15, 12:55  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dmitri_M
  20. Jun 15, 13:07 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Creston
  21. Jun 15, 13:12  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dmitri_M
  22. Jun 15, 13:22   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire fawker
  23. Jun 15, 13:37   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Creston
>> 30. Jun 15, 15:43    Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Flatline
  34. Jun 15, 16:17     Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dmitri_M
  24. Jun 15, 14:35   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Parallax Abstraction
  25. Jun 15, 15:16    Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dmitri_M
  26. Jun 15, 15:27     Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Beelzebud
  28. Jun 15, 15:34      Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Donkey_Punch
  31. Jun 15, 15:45       Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Flatline
  33. Jun 15, 15:53        Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire nin
  38. Jun 15, 20:35         Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Flatline
  27. Jun 15, 15:31 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Dev
  29. Jun 15, 15:42 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire jacobvandy
  32. Jun 15, 15:51 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Verno
  36. Jun 15, 17:45  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Flatline
  39. Jun 15, 21:10 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Bet
  40. Jun 15, 22:01 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Tom46
  41. Jun 15, 23:23  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire PHJF
  43. Jun 16, 12:25   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire StingingVelvet
  42. Jun 16, 09:11 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Kajetan
  44. Jun 17, 04:25 Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire clint
  45. Jun 17, 11:36  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire fatguy
  46. Jun 18, 01:39  Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Quinn
  47. Jun 18, 01:59   Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jerykk

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo