Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 21, 2012, 09:33 Ant

Just tax IE, Windows, etc.! Maybe Blue can start that on his own web site. [grin]  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 16, 2012, 11:39 eRe4s3r

In that case it was a success either way The tax only pays for the development effort it takes to actually have the site still run with IE7  

9. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 21:46 VoodooV

if you're going take such a strong stance on browsing security, why tax...just simply restrict commerce completely unless you have a modern browser.

Or are they afraid they they would lose too much business. So which is it? promoting computer safety? or promoting profit?

makes me wonder how many people will just pay the tax

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2012, 17:34 NegaDeath

I like it. Think of it like the vaccine philosophy. The more people vaccinated against a disease the less chance for an outbreak. The more people with current browsers the less net-wide worms and viruses will spread. If it takes money to move these people so be it.  

7. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 17:31 Bet

jimnms wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 17:07:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:21:
So punish IE users who still use a perfectly good computer that's just too slow to use a more modern browser?
The "buy a newer computer or pay more" tax?

Older computers are perfectly capable of running modern browsers. My sister's old ass 1.6GHz Celeron w/ 640MB of RAM runs Firefox and IE9.

Anyone running IE 7 and lower needs to upgrade regardless if it's expensive to code websites for. MS no longer supports them, which means no security updates, which means they're systems are vulnerable.

Putting a simple notice on websites warning users that their browser is outdated and my not work on the site probably doesn't get taken serious by lazy computer users that don't keep their shit up to date, but if it's going to cost them more money I bet they'll take a few minutes to update.
How is that piece of celery still running???

6. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 17:29 MisterBenn

Yeah, my Vaio laptop is about 8 years old and Firefox on Windows 7 x64 is no trouble at all. I guess if you were placing an order from work you might be annoyed to pay a surcharge but in general I think it's quite a creative solution to encourage people to upgrade.  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

5. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 17:07 jimnms

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:21:
So punish IE users who still use a perfectly good computer that's just too slow to use a more modern browser?

Older computers are perfectly capable of running modern browsers. My sister's old ass 1.6GHz Celeron w/ 640MB of RAM runs Firefox and IE9.

Anyone running IE 7 and lower needs to upgrade regardless if it's expensive to code websites for. MS no longer supports them, which means no security updates, which means they're systems are vulnerable.

Putting a simple notice on websites warning users that their browser is outdated and my not work on the site probably doesn't get taken serious by lazy computer users that don't keep their shit up to date, but if it's going to cost them more money I bet they'll take a few minutes to update.

Steam Profile

4. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 16:21 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 15:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:03:
Ha! Now that is freaking funny.
No tax for IE 6? It's got more than double the number of users.

But this is a good idea. I think that we'll start charging our customers for IE 6 & 7 bugs if they report them, instead of just fixing them for free like we usually do.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

3. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 15:11 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:03:
No tax for IE 6? It's got more than double the number of users.

But this is a good idea. I think that we'll start charging our customers for IE 6 & 7 bugs if they report them, instead of just fixing them for free like we usually do.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2012, 14:16 Wallshadows

Scooby Doo has nothing on statutory rapists.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

1. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 11:03 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo