Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts

The Seattle Times has the NPD's latest U.S. sales figures, showing game sales fell 28% in May (to $516.5 million), with hardware sales down 39% from 2011 ($138.9 million). The good news is this does not include digital sales, downloads, and microtransactions, and they say: "NPD estimates that digital sales were around $420 million, which would boost overall U.S. game spending to $1.17 billion." They also have a sales chart showing Diablo III at number one, and say: "A bright spot was PC game sales, which rose 230 percent, driven by the release of 'Diablo III.' It was the top-selling game in May, the first time a PC game topped the charts since July 2010, NPD said in its release."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 23:30 Billy Bob

What was out in July 2010?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 18:48 fox

And who said the consoles users are only idiots...  

23. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 17:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Vex wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 16:49:
Go ahead and subtract $120 from digital sales. My brother and I just got a refund.

I emailed NPD with the update. It will be reflected in their statistics shortly!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 16:49 Vex

Go ahead and subtract $120 from digital sales. My brother and I just got a refund.  

21. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 13:52 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 09:23:
You mean crowdfunding. Crowdsourcing is entirely different and I'll say flat-out it will never work for anything artistic that needs coherency.
ehhh ... yes, sry

20. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 12:15 ASeven

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:57:
ASeven wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:10:
As an aside for D3, game is now fully cracked with the use of a server emulator. Anyone using the piracy excuse to justify the always online requirement can now stuff it.
I wouldn't say it's been fully cracked. From what I've read, the server emulator is buggy as all hell and still pretty much unplayable. Unless there's been major improvement in the past few days. I'm just wondering if the guys doing the emulator can fix the game to be better than the real one

Apparently they made it possible to update the emulator using Blizzard's own servers, so it seems it now is a very viable alternative to playing D3.

Also this is too funny:

http://imgur.com/VjX8H,n2AqF,EVrUs,gyTa8

19. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 11:57 Wowbagger_TIP

ASeven wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 11:10:
As an aside for D3, game is now fully cracked with the use of a server emulator. Anyone using the piracy excuse to justify the always online requirement can now stuff it.
I wouldn't say it's been fully cracked. From what I've read, the server emulator is buggy as all hell and still pretty much unplayable. Unless there's been major improvement in the past few days. I'm just wondering if the guys doing the emulator can fix the game to be better than the real one

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 11:26 Alamar

RailWizard wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 03:56:
Well of course stuff sells on the PC. Have you seen how many stupid people are on the internet these days? All it takes is a nice, simple shiny thing with flashy colors, and the herd comes. They are still making the Sims FOR FUCKS SAKE!. SOMEBODY is buying that shit, and believe me, people have also pirated the shit out of it too. Yet it goes on...and on...and on.

The whole "Piracy ruins everything!" translates EXACTLY to "We need more hookers and blow. Pay us MORE for less dammit!"

The target demographic for the Sims don't know how to pirate ; )

-Alamar

17. Re: Great... Jun 15, 2012, 11:25 Alamar

Bet wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 23:54:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 21:22:
So they can afford to put in minimap customizaton now!
Lol, but they have so many excuses why that money can't fix it ok. It's not modular, and no amount of money can change that!

I realize you're mocking, but you're actually spot on...

No amount of money thrown at this problem will fix it... Within the time frame people are expecting : )

All they've said is that it's a non-trivial change, and that it'll take time.

-Alamar

16. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 11:10 ASeven

15. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 09:23 Beamer

Kajetan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 07:31:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 23:39:
So predictable, yet so old and tired.
Yepp. There is a reason that crowdsourcing for games is establishing itself as a viable alternative. There are a lot of people the industry doesn't cater anymore, because their tastes and preferences don't fit in the mass market or isn't part of the annual "THE NEXT BIG SHIT" hype.

Let the traditional gaming industry prosper or burn. Let the hypes come and go. I dont care anymore. Now i have to opportunity to directly finance the games i want to play. I am content and at peace.

You mean crowdfunding. Crowdsourcing is entirely different and I'll say flat-out it will never work for anything artistic that needs coherency.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 09:15 Verno

Kajetan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 07:31:
Yep. There is a reason that crowdsourcing for games is establishing itself as a viable alternative. There are a lot of people the industry doesn't cater anymore, because their tastes and preferences don't fit in the mass market or isn't part of the annual "THE NEXT BIG SHIT" hype.

Let the traditional gaming industry prosper or burn. Let the hypes come and go. I dont care anymore. Now i have to opportunity to directly finance the games i want to play. I am content and at peace.

Indeed. I'm really sick of hearing about how mobile and casual markets will take everything over and core users don't matter anymore because the market is so big now and blah blah blah. Those people are not supporting the industry, they buy a few games to dick around with on the bus and then move onto the next trendy gadget down the line. The Wii is a great example of how fickle and transitory the mass market is. The core is what really drives this industry. Ok well and maybe Madden

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 07:31 Kajetan

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 23:39:
So predictable, yet so old and tired.
Yepp. There is a reason that crowdsourcing for games is establishing itself as a viable alternative. There are a lot of people the industry doesn't cater anymore, because their tastes and preferences don't fit in the mass market or isn't part of the annual "THE NEXT BIG SHIT" hype.

12. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 06:18 Luke

Blizzard reminds me of our goverment nothing they promissed went through and now they close there eyes and won't listen , shitty compagny who feels the need of telling the gamer world: "We did it , we screwed you all with our hype , and we can do it again".

Ohh better keep the hype up further by sending out some numbers , they eat it anyway, well gratz to you Fubard .

11. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 05:02 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 02:29:
Since Steam is by far the largest digital distributor and they refuse to release any figures, we're never going to have enough proof to silence the naysayers.
I don't even know that steam is allowed to release specific sales numbers for publishers. Publishers are free to release steam numbers, and some have before, but I bet the contract with steam gives complete control of public information about that to the publisher.

10. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 03:56 RailWizard

Well of course stuff sells on the PC. Have you seen how many stupid people are on the internet these days? All it takes is a nice, simple shiny thing with flashy colors, and the herd comes. They are still making the Sims FOR FUCKS SAKE!. SOMEBODY is buying that shit, and believe me, people have also pirated the shit out of it too. Yet it goes on...and on...and on.

The whole "Piracy ruins everything!" translates EXACTLY to "We need more hookers and blow. Pay us MORE for less dammit!"

9. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 02:29 Jerykk

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 00:00:
Regardless of how you feel about D3, a 230% rise in sales should be enough to shut those fucking PC and Piracy doomsayers up for a bit.

You'll never be able to shut them up until we get international sales figures that include digital distribution. Diablo 3 is the exception to the rule in terms of NPD charts, since retail PC games generally don't sell that well in the U.S. Since Steam is by far the largest digital distributor and they refuse to release any figures, we're never going to have enough proof to silence the naysayers.

It doesn't really matter, though. The fact that more and more publishers are showing increased support for the PC says all you need to know about sales. If PC games didn't sell, they wouldn't be getting made.

8. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 01:45 Esoteric

Bet wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 00:04:
Regardless of how you feel about D3, a 230% rise in sales should be enough to shut those fucking PC and Piracy doomsayers up for a bit.
Shocked that it was ONLY 230% rise on the PC end, considering it sold so damn many copies. You'd think it would blow the average completely out of the water.

Pretty sure it actually IS higher than that, but they're only counting retail. I and many others I know bought our copy digitally from Blizzard, which wouldn't show up in these figures.

7. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 00:10 Wallshadows

I suspect it's not including the ~1.4m copies provided through the annual pass which would kind of fudge the numbers up from a sales perspective as they were 'free'.

So, if there wasn't an annual pass and those were 1.4m additional sales, it would have been interesting to see those numbers.

That's my 1:09am hamster-thinking logic anyway.

6. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 15, 2012, 00:04 Bet

Shocked that it was ONLY 230% rise on the PC end, considering it sold so damn many copies. You'd think it would blow the average completely out of the water.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo