Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TERA Free Trial

En Masse Entertainment is now offering a free playable trial for the North American edition of TERA, offering the chance to try Bluehole Studios' MMORPG free of charge. The trial is offered on this page along with a playable demo offered through Gaikai that allows you to check out the game's combat instantly. Here's word on the trial:

The TERA trial is good for seven calendar days from the time a player enters the trial code. Players can level up to eight characters to level 23 on one server during the trial. There are some additional restrictions—trial players cannot vote in TERA elections, for instance—but for the most part, players can enjoy the full benefits of the game during their week of free play. All players need to join the world of TERA is an En Masse account. Then they can enter the code “TERATRIAL” to download and play TERA.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 09:39 Alamar

Gawd, what a great community of elitist assholes we have here...

Do YOU remember your first post? Did you finally decide to sign up and share your opinion because you were... wait for it... excited about how much fun you're having in a game?

Actually, I guess you all signed up to correct someone, or talk about how bad a game was...

News Flash for those without the common sense to realize it; not everyone likes the same thing. Liking a game you don't doesn't make them a shill, or a fanboy... Using those terms says so much more about you, than the person you're trying to disregard. It's about time you grow up.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 09:34 HorrorScope

Zetler wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 06:21:
The best thing about TERA is the high level combat. Unless you're fighting BAMs and have experienced mid game dungeon boss battles then you don't know how good TERA's combat is. It features the most visceral and engaging combat out of any MMO. Its truely nextgen, unlike Guild War 2's combat which is just another tab targeting SWTOR spin off.

The problem with TERA is that aside from the combat, everything else SUCKS. The questing system is old EQ style garbage leaving the combat as the game only redeeming quality.

While the game over all isn't that good, I'm glad that I played TERA because now I know what a nextgen MMO combat system should be like. Tab targeting is dead, you hear me Guild Wars 2? Seriously TERA combat totally wrecked Guild Wars 2 for me, I'm tired of being a god damn turret in every MMO.

If all it has is combat, then Dragons Nest or C9 are better yet. I"ve played all 3.

21. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 09:13 wtf_man

Sempai wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 06:21:
What exactly would you do different?

I think GW2 is nudging the genre in the right direction.

PvE is designed for "coop"... not "forced grouping" like the old days... and not "solo only" because folks can't stand asshats in PUGS, or even bothering with LFG.

Things just happen all around you and you participate.
Others can join without grouping.
There's no kill stealing, ninja looting, griefing.
Everyone can rez a fellow player and the coop environment encourages you to do so.

It makes for a much more friendly environment. Everyone can have their own agenda, yet play together in peace. That is awesome design.

What would I do different?
Well if I could... I would make the dynamic events a bit more dynamic than the same 2-3 triggered near the same point of interest. But given the scale of the game, I understand why that would probably double the cost of it's development.

20. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 07:05 Fibrocyte

Calistoga wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 21:45:
Without overstating it, Tera is the best mmorpg I have played in 10 years of playing games including Wow(for 6 years), EQ2, AOC, WH, Rift, Aion, GW2 beta. The combat, especially the melee combat is fantastic, the graphics are incredible, animations are best genre has ever seen (both monsters and players), dungeons are very good. Poster who dismisses it as an endless grind is cynical and dead wrong. Even my wife loves the game, and she was skeptical after being burned by AOC, WH, Rift, etc. We have 2 lvl 40's and love it.

Just make sure you have beefy computer to enjoy it to its fullest. We bought 2 new computers just to play this game after we started playing it and loved it. There is your endorsement.

Trust me, the game is freaking awesome. Period.

I do agree with most of this and would still be playing Tera if D3 didn't grab my attention - I typically only have time to play 1 game consistently. Once I'm done w/ D3 I'll be going back to Tera until a better MMO comes out.

Tera is certainly a good MMO.

19. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 06:29 Cutter

Sempai wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 06:21:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 23:06:
This genre is burnt to a crisp no matter how pretty the game is. Next gen mmos like Planetside 2 is so far the only one worth looking at, IMO. GW2 is still going to be kill x fetch y.

I understand what you're saying, and i agree to a point.
Hasn't every genre been done to death? Some are just worth playing and most are not.

If you enjoy mmo's(like i do)then you're going to fetch and kill stuff.
You're going to slowly level your class/hero/toon/persona/inflatable doll to 50 and then begin to pve-dailies/raid/pvp your ass off.

The question is, is it a world you want to spend time in?
I'm all for evolution and moving forward, but you're not gonna get the old fogey's like me sitting in a world like Planetside for hours on end, that's for you youngins.

I think i speak for most of us old fart mmo players when i say we want a beautiful, lush world to explore and hang out in at our own pace, we want to be able to get up and go take a piss, and get a cup of coffee, or go afk and give the wife some much needed attention...for 15-20 min of course, then back to the grindstone.

Oh you are so going to be PS2 for hours on end! Everyone is.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 06:21 Zetler

The best thing about TERA is the high level combat. Unless you're fighting BAMs and have experienced mid game dungeon boss battles then you don't know how good TERA's combat is. It features the most visceral and engaging combat out of any MMO. Its truely nextgen, unlike Guild War 2's combat which is just another tab targeting SWTOR spin off.

The problem with TERA is that aside from the combat, everything else SUCKS. The questing system is old EQ style garbage leaving the combat as the game only redeeming quality.

While the game over all isn't that good, I'm glad that I played TERA because now I know what a nextgen MMO combat system should be like. Tab targeting is dead, you hear me Guild Wars 2? Seriously TERA combat totally wrecked Guild Wars 2 for me, I'm tired of being a god damn turret in every MMO.

17. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 06:21 Sempai

Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 23:06:
This genre is burnt to a crisp no matter how pretty the game is. Next gen mmos like Planetside 2 is so far the only one worth looking at, IMO. GW2 is still going to be kill x fetch y.

I understand what you're saying, and i agree to a point.
Hasn't every genre been done to death? Some are just worth playing and most are not.

If you enjoy mmo's(like i do)then you're going to fetch and kill stuff.
You're going to slowly level your class/hero/toon/persona/inflatable doll to 50 and then begin to pve-dailies/raid/pvp your ass off.

The question is, is it a world you want to spend time in?
I'm all for evolution and moving forward, but you're not gonna get the old fogey's like me sitting in a world like Planetside for hours on end, that's for you youngins.

I think i speak for most of us old fart mmo players when i say we want a beautiful, lush world to explore and hang out in at our own pace, we want to be able to get up and go take a piss, and get a cup of coffee, or go afk and give the wife some much needed attention...for 15-20 min of course, then back to the grindstone.

16. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 05:32 Veterator

I went out and bought 6 computers for this game, it's that good.

1 to login and the 5 others to use to do other things so I'd actually be entertained. You can trust me because I was in beta and got to level 10ish. My fictional wife loves it too. The best part was picking weeds for your first mount, fulfilled my desire to pluck grass by hand without all the allergies and abrasiveness to my skin. 10 thumbs up.

Legit.

15. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 04:38 Cutter

Without overstating it, Tera is the best mmorpg I have played in 10 years of playing games including Wow(for 6 years), EQ2, AOC, WH, Rift, Aion, GW2 beta. The combat, especially the melee combat is fantastic, the graphics are incredible, animations are best genre has ever seen (both monsters and players), dungeons are very good. Poster who dismisses it as an endless grind is cynical and dead wrong. Even my wife loves the game, and she was skeptical after being burned by AOC, WH, Rift, etc. We have 2 lvl 40's and love it.

Just make sure you have beefy computer to enjoy it to its fullest. We bought 2 new computers just to play this game after we started playing it and loved it. There is your endorsement.

Thanks shill. Now we know just how bad this game really is. Thanks for saving us wasting our time on it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 23:30 The Half Elf

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 22:57:

The endorsement of a day 1 single-post account is exactly what I needed. Buying a 100-pack for me and my fellow Blues Newsers right now. You guys ready? Lets do this.

I'd rather invest the money the money in a Phantom Gaming Console Kickstarter.

No... really....

Cuse me while I go throw up.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 23:20 Slashman

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 22:57:

The endorsement of a day 1 single-post account is exactly what I needed. Buying a 100-pack for me and my fellow Blues Newsers right now. You guys ready? Lets do this.

I am SO there with you bro!!!

12. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 23:06 Steele Johnson

11. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:57 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:40 Rea1One

Vex wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 22:12:
Rea1One wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 22:01:
"Play the Demo" (instant - no download) button is broken i've tried in both Chrome and Firefox and nothing works.

Try this link: http://tera.enmasse.com/demo

I get the error "Insufficient bandwidth" that's what I get for living in a country with crap internet.. oh well doesn't matter ill just get the 7 day trial

9. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:39 The Half Elf

So I should trust you because you signed up on the forums to post a message about a game which is a classic Asian MMO with a little bit different combat scheme?
You sound like a paid shill. I shall NOT trust you.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:26 Trevellian

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 21:58:

The game *is* an endless grind though. Unless I missed something, somewhere, once you get to like level 10 you start slowing down and having to slog through the riff-raff of "Kill X" and "Fetch X" quests.

It is a nice looking and entertaining MMO to play in short bursts, but to tell someone that they are dead wrong and cynical for stating a bold-faced truth screams otherwise.

Agreed. I found the game refreshing at first due to just the combat but once I hit 10, got past the first city and out to the first quest hub it was once again like every other MMO, mindless kill 10 of this gather 10 of those quests where I just kept clicking "next" on the useless paragraphs of text they used to make it sound like you were doing something new and different.

I'm done with MMO's till someone combines Tera's Combat with SWTOR's Storytelling without resorting to mindless dumbass quests.
Hell I'd prefer returning to EQ's mindless Mob grinding in groups sitting against a wall at Karnor's Castle just for the mindless banter and making friends due to being there every single night for weeks at this point.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

7. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:22 Vex

Thank you shill, your post count and sign up date aren't suspect at all.

6. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:12 Vex

Rea1One wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 22:01:
"Play the Demo" (instant - no download) button is broken i've tried in both Chrome and Firefox and nothing works.

Try this link: http://tera.enmasse.com/demo

5. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 22:01 Rea1One

4. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 21:58 DarkCntry

The game *is* an endless grind though. Unless I missed something, somewhere, once you get to like level 10 you start slowing down and having to slog through the riff-raff of "Kill X" and "Fetch X" quests.

It is a nice looking and entertaining MMO to play in short bursts, but to tell someone that they are dead wrong and cynical for stating a bold-faced truth screams otherwise.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo