Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 18, 2012, 01:12 Crustacean Soup

Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 07:34:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 22:32:
Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:34:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:29:
I think John Carmack is on to something with VR head mounted display gaming, and the future...

The issue is really the distance - having your eyes look at something that close to them isn't very good for them and causes a good amount of fatigue.

You put them virtually farther out, then. Like a reflex sight, or the mirrors in an optometrist's office that artificially lengthen the room.

Those are completely different issues and your solution, at best, partially solves it.

The main problem with looking at an object up-close is the focusing; putting an image virtually at infinity fixes that. What's the completely different issue?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 15, 2012, 07:34 Beamer

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 22:32:
I think John Carmack is on to something with VR head mounted display gaming, and the future...

The issue is really the distance - having your eyes look at something that close to them isn't very good for them and causes a good amount of fatigue.

You put them virtually farther out, then. Like a reflex sight, or the mirrors in an optometrist's office that artificially lengthen the room.

Those are completely different issues and your solution, at best, partially solves it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 23:07 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 14:57:
They're almost all total crap, but as they get more power and better input options they'll become the same as what PC games are now.

Most are crap

But every now and then you find a fun an addictive game. The next thing you know, you've put like 50+ hours into it over a month or two...

All for a game that cost like $0.99 to $5.00 USD

I'm not saying that iPhone/iPad games are the future. Just that, things are a little different now.

Game Companies have to make sure they deliver something GOOD for their $50.00 to $60.00 price tag. Else people will say "screw it" and not upgrade their shiny XBox 720's or whatever.

It's almost like Indie gaming going mainstream in the public eyes... you can get fun product for dirt cheap... at least compared to the crappy AAA Console titles that have been released

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 22:32 Crustacean Soup

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 14:57 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 14:11:
When mobile devices can play high production value games with actual depth instead of time-wasting dreck, 99% of which is garbage anyway, then I'll be happy to embrace them as the new norm gaming medium instead of PC or even consoles. But based on the 30 or so games I've played on my girlfriend's iPad, they have a long way to go yet. As for the cloud future, never going to happen as long as big telcos control the pipes and can restrict them without penalty. And if people think always-on DRM is bad now, wait until any and all software works that way.

They're almost all total crap, but as they get more power and better input options they'll become the same as what PC games are now.

-------------

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 14:11 Parallax Abstraction

When mobile devices can play high production value games with actual depth instead of time-wasting dreck, 99% of which is garbage anyway, then I'll be happy to embrace them as the new norm gaming medium instead of PC or even consoles. But based on the 30 or so games I've played on my girlfriend's iPad, they have a long way to go yet. As for the cloud future, never going to happen as long as big telcos control the pipes and can restrict them without penalty. And if people think always-on DRM is bad now, wait until any and all software works that way.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2012, 14:45.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 Beamer

-------------

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 11:29 Fantaz

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 10:14 NKD

PC gaming is doomed, consoles are doomed, I guess gaming is done for! Wait, smartphones! Oops nevermind, it's illegal to use your smartphone anywhere except in your own house.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 10:09 kanniballl

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:15:
The problem is many people still recalls PC gaming as sitting at a desk with a 15" tube monitor, and you have to upgrade your PC components every 4-6 months to have games running at 20fps, update drivers, hardware conflicts, lots of wires everywhere, viruses, etc etc.
Where consoles you pop the disc in sit back on your couch and play the game, put the headset on and you can instantly interact with others in MP....

I'm a techie, and though I don't envision it like that... I can still see the appeal of consoles. I kind of dig playing games while sitting on the couch. It's more laid-back and I don't feel like I'm still sitting at my job while I'm trying to relax and unwind.

Typically: you just pop in the cartridge, DVD, whatever and you're good to go. No
  • worrying about the current nVidia drivers not running this game well
  • I guess my CPU on the minimum requirements means the BARE minimum
  • the voice chat for this game sucks or doesn't exist... let me install client-X

• To install it's just: hook up to network, plug into TV, done.
    To play: sit on couch, switch the TV input, pop up headphones, and enjoy.

That being said, consoles are getting more PC-like.
  • You have to worry about "Hard Disk space" again.
  • You are required (or coerced) into downloading a game update/patch, or even a console OS update.
  • Since online is such a big component, you have to worry about whether your spouse adjusted the firewall settings on your router.
  • etc
  •  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 08:36 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 04:45:
    The PC won't be extinct because people will always need something to work on and something that's easily upgradable. And it's still the best platform for gaming and doing actual work. I agree this will likely be the last console cycle though.

Disagreed. The desktop is already in huge decline. Mobile devices will replace laptops, eventually, too. Very few people need something easily upgradable, and while I agree it's the best platform for gaming and work that can be overcome pretty easily by just creating wireless docking stations for mobile devices.

I stand by my argument that, within 10 years, we'll do everything with a device in our pockets. We'll still have our keyboards and mice and 27" dual monitors, but the actual brains will be in our pockets. Or possibly in a cloud by streaming through a device that's on our person full time.

But yeah, fully believe we're at the final console generation.

-------------

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 08:15 SpectralMeat

Asmodai wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 05:12:
    I think the point Jaffe missed in his rambling diatribe was that hardware costs on PCs for consumer (rather than enthusiast) parts that can give remarkable quality on a single 1920x1080 display are reaching parity with high end consoles in price, and far exceeding them in versatility/IQ etc. I've seen gaming PC's which truly can game around the 600 AUD mark. It's upgradeable, you can use it on a TV, you can do everything you would on a PC anyway.

What's the point in having two devices when you only need one? If the GPU dies on my PS3 (which is now out of warranty), I have to buy a new PS3 rather than replace the faulty part. We've come a long way from 1500-2500 dollar PC's as the normal.

The problem is many people still recalls PC gaming as sitting at a desk with a 15" tube monitor, and you have to upgrade your PC components every 4-6 months to have games running at 20fps, update drivers, hardware conflicts, lots of wires everywhere, viruses, etc etc.
    Where consoles you pop the disc in sit back on your couch and play the game, put the headset on and you can instantly interact with others in MP. Some of the PC games today you still need to run 3rd party software in order to use your headset and interact with others.
    I am not defending console gaming, but I do see why so many people (not kids but adults) choose to go that way instead of PC gaming.

PC gaming is better quality, you can do a lot more on your PC then on your console, but it still requires the user to be a little more tech savy, and a little more effort to make everything work perfectly and headache free, as it currently is on the consoles.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 07:21 aesir05

waaaait
    didn't they say this a few years ago with lots of $$$ research involved as well??

oh well...it'll happen, eventually and gradually not how these desk jockeys predict

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 05:12 Asmodai

I think the point Jaffe missed in his rambling diatribe was that hardware costs on PCs for consumer (rather than enthusiast) parts that can give remarkable quality on a single 1920x1080 display are reaching parity with high end consoles in price, and far exceeding them in versatility/IQ etc. I've seen gaming PC's which truly can game around the 600 AUD mark. It's upgradeable, you can use it on a TV, you can do everything you would on a PC anyway.

What's the point in having two devices when you only need one? If the GPU dies on my PS3 (which is now out of warranty), I have to buy a new PS3 rather than replace the faulty part. We've come a long way from 1500-2500 dollar PC's as the normal.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 04:45 Cutter

The PC won't be extinct because people will always need something to work on and something that's easily upgradable. And it's still the best platform for gaming and doing actual work. I agree this will likely be the last console cycle though.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 01:45 mag

Consoles will be extinct. PCs will be extinct. Soon all games will be old flash games converted to iOS. The industry has spoken.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 00:12 ^Drag0n^

Officially.  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo