Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 20:00 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 05:07:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 02:03:
Guys, games are for kids and this is not appropriate material for them.

So murdering cops as a terrorist - CS - is ok for kids but dealing with attempted rape is not? Come on, man. This isn't Epic Mickey we're talking about. Some games are for kids...most games are for adults and always have been.

You didn't really think I was serious did you?

My kids will be virtually murdering folks ASAP anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 09:01 Cutter

Kajetan wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:20:
Trainwreck wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:00:
At what point did this become "cool"? Or even tolerable?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_Getting_Old

Its not about those specific things, its about how we percieve them. When i was at school, we played games on the C64 like "Beachhead" (where you could maul some enemies with the tracks of your tank). HILARIOUS! Or the infamous "KZ Manager", a simple Wi-Sim, but not with zoo animals but with jews and poison chambers. HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!

When you get older, you mature (sometimes) mentally. Things, which were fun and entertaining in your youth, are now nothing more than crap. Boring crap, horrible crap, disgusting crap. The society hasn't changed much, you changed. A lot!

That's the reality of it. Most big budget games and films are dreck and shouldn't appeal us as we're past that 18-34 year old demographic. We just want our sex and violence to revolve around things that are a bit more sophisticated and don't exist simply for shock value.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 08:34 Beamer

At the very least I think people can admit that what they're doing with Lara Croft is ridiculous. They're open about wanting to change her from one of the few strong, female characters to a wounded bird you want to protect. Seriously, they keep talking about making the gamer want to protect her.

But I guess that works with some of the people here that could never play a game with a female character unless they felt like they were guiding her not controlling her...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 08:20 Kajetan

Trainwreck wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:00:
At what point did this become "cool"? Or even tolerable?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_Getting_Old

Its not about those specific things, its about how we percieve them. When i was at school, we played games on the C64 like "Beachhead" (where you could maul some enemies with the tracks of your tank). HILARIOUS! Or the infamous "KZ Manager", a simple Wi-Sim, but not with zoo animals but with jews and poison chambers. HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!

When you get older, you mature (sometimes) mentally. Things, which were fun and entertaining in your youth, are now nothing more than crap. Boring crap, horrible crap, disgusting crap. The society hasn't changed much, you changed. A lot!

17. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 08:00 Trainwreck

Sadly, you're totally correct. Hell, since the dawn of man people have been interested primarily in nudity and violence for entertainment as well as life in general. Look back at Shakespeare, ancient Rome, or Greek tragedies for proof of this.

We may not be able to change this basic fact, but I don't have to celebrate it. I like violence and sex as much as anybody, but there's a point at which it becomes obscene. I often recall watching that old Saints Row 3 preview video in which the presenter giddily showed off how you can knock anybody in the crotch in the street or slap them with a big purple dildo. At what point did this become "cool"? Or even tolerable?

16. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 07:21 Kajetan

Trainwreck wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 06:51:
I just wish the AAA industry could understand that.
As long as the majors sell games for immature jerks like hotcakes ... never gonna happen. The "AAA industry" does the equivalent of a Transformer movie. Expensive, polished to the extreme. And made for people, who give a damn about subtext, subtlety and maturity. Who just want "SPLOSIONS!!" and tits.

First thing every Tomb Raider game gets after release? A nude mod. How many young boys and adults tried desperately to activate the infamous "nude cheat" for TR1? AAA games are made for those people.

15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 06:51 Trainwreck

I think you guys might be missing the point. Other forms of media (TV, books etc.) have established that they can handle subjects such as rape, mass murder, crime, etc. with maturity and subtlety (though they often fail, and should be criticized for it appropriately). I don't know that video games have proven the same.

That's not to say that I don't hope they do someday...I suppose recent entries like Deus Ex come close, but the fiction in even the best game worlds is largely garbage compared to the best that movies can offer. I for one am sick to death of constantly slaughtering everything in sight; successful independent developers seem to have caught on to the concept that games need a shift in focus. I just wish the AAA industry could understand that.

One thing I'm sick of is everyone saying, "Game X portrays women badly," but in fact, usually Game X portrays everyone pretty horribly. Everyone, especially gamers, should be up in arms over the assault on the senses that the AAA industry has become.

14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 05:07 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 02:03:

So murdering cops as a terrorist - CS - is ok for kids but dealing with attempted rape is not? Come on, man. This isn't Epic Mickey we're talking about. Some games are for kids...most games are for adults and always have been.

13. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 05:05 Cutter

"I think that's the other thing about the Microsoft press conference. It's always shocked me about how little Microsoft cared about the Windows platform," he added.

"There was hardly a single talk about Windows 8 at all [at E3 last week]. You would've thought, with a billion installed machines, there would be at least some play. And the whole metro interface is much more gamified, but there was no talk about it at all."

I agree. I've always felt the same. It boggles my mind that they even got into consoles when their core business was so much larger and powerful. Had they put the same amount of effort and money into PC as a gaming platform consoles would already be over.

And Seph, who are you going to give the benefit of the doubt to? The guys who made DXHR or Kotaku? I wouldn't sweat it.

And Prez is spot on in his take of this attempted rape nonsense.

12. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 02:03 Sepharo

11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 01:45 Asmo

It's funny (as in "hrm..." rather than "haha") when you think of shows like L&O:SVU which is 100% built on rape/sexual assault/murder as it's platform running 13 (soon to be 14) seasons and being rampantly popular, but you create a character defining moment for Lara (ie. her first human kill, in self defense of course) motivated by resisting a rapist in a computer game, and it's a bad thing...

As usual, games get shellacked because they're games, not because rape is completely off limits as a story device. eg. Upstanding Citizen, The Brave One, The Accused etc.

10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 00:30 NKD

A lot of the criticism seems to be like "WHY IS IT ALWAYS RAPE THAT A WOMAN HAS TO DEAL WITH?" From idiots who don't seem to have looked at anything else about the game: Lara gets faced with just about every imaginable challenge. That's the whole point of the game. What fire forged this badass?  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 00:25 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 20:54:
People just being hypocrites again. Rape and attempted rape are a common theme in movies and books, but let's all lose our minds because someone put a brief attempted rape scene in a game. You see worse on regular TV every hour of every day.

It's pretty ridiculous. A lot of people act like rape is the worst thing you could possibly do to a person. In the TR E3 demo, those thugs indiscriminately murder a bunch of innocent, defenseless people. But hey, that's fine! No problems with mass murder, no sir. However, when one of those thugs gets frisky with Lara (and then gets kneed in the balls, his ear bitten off and shot to death), that's unacceptable! How dare you suggest that a criminal thug stranded on an island might try to force himself upon a young woman! The audacity!

8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 23:19 Dev

Dunno why he's shocked. He worked there, he knows how they operate. They are pushing consoles at the expense of PC. They've made large sweeping changes in their windows OS to make it easier to port from xbox (such as the changing the entire sound system in vista).  

7. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 23:02 Bet

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 21:04:
Not so much. FIrst off, it's Kotau, which is an abysmally bad site made up of absolutely terrible writers imo - bottom of the barrel talentless hacks who think they are journalists. Secondly, they are basing that assumption on development time length, lack of info at E3, and a spate of departures from the design team, which I would think are as likely due to the game being near completion as a sign of trouble.
Thanks for the recon. They don't deserve the click.

6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 22:30 PropheT

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 20:54:
People just being hypocrites again. Rape and attempted rape are a common theme in movies and books, but let's all lose our minds because someone put a brief attempted rape scene in a game. You see worse on regular TV every hour of every day.

If they can tell this story with mature themes like this and make it work, that's a pretty big step in gaming. Traditionally all it has taken is for one company to step up with a good game to give the rest of the industry a push toward that direction, so if they can do this and do it right with a recognizable character like Lara, that's a nice acknowledgement to me that all of us aren't 17 anymore and we can deal with subject matter that wouldn't have been touched by games not too long ago.

Instead it seems like half the articles I see anymore are a determined piece written to assure non-gamers that we aren't sociopaths for liking something that we shouldn't have to apologize for in the first place.

50 Shades of Grey is the #1 book, adult-oriented TV shows like True Blood or Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Mad Men or Dexter (and so on) are popular everywhere, and yet most of the video game world seems stuck on the avoidance of adult-themed material or turning it into something that would fit in a comic book, flashy and eye catching but easily dismissed.

5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 21:12 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 21:04:
Not so much. FIrst off, it's Kotau, which is an abysmally bad site made up of absolutely terrible writers imo - bottom of the barrel talentless hacks who think they are journalists. Secondly, they are basing that assumption on development time length, lack of info at E3, and a spate of departures from the design team, which I would think are as likely due to the game being near completion as a sign of trouble.

That's what I figured... but there was so many links and tidbits to follow I was exhausted before I started. Thanks

4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 21:04 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 21:02 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 20:57:
Someone read that Thief 4 article and tell me if I should be worried.

You should be a tad worried.

2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 20:57 Sepharo

Someone read that Thief 4 article and tell me if I should be worried.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo