Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer

This trailer from Civilization V: Gods & Kings shows off the turn-based strategy expansion that's expected next Tuesday. The clip features producer Dennis Shirk and lead designer Ed Beach discussing new features, including rebuilt religion and espionage systems and new civilizations and leaders. A second trailer in this series is expected later this week.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 14, 2012, 08:24 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 16:18:
To compare this EXPANSION PACK with the $5-10 DLCs they've done so far is asinine. But a cheapass will still be a cheapass and refuse to pay full price, even though it's a way better value to begin with.

Plus Green Man Gaming has it for 25% off today.

Fuck, I missed another sale (not counting the global 10% off pre-order). I want this, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on an expansion pack that costs more than twice as much as what I paid for the original game.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 23:55 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 18:24:
To compare this EXPANSION PACK with the $5-10 DLCs they've done so far is asinine. But a cheapass will still be a cheapass and refuse to pay full price, even though it's a way better value to begin with.

It's not our fault if you don't understand the concept of relative value. P.T. Barnum loved people like you.

If you don't like the game or play it as much as some do, that's fine, but my 'relative value' in regards to Civ V averages out to about 25 cents per hour (including buying all DLC at full price). That's a goddamn bargain, no matter how you slice it. I am fucking thrilled to be giving these guys more of my money in exchange for some fresh content and added/overhauled mechanics, so that I may wring a couple hundred more hours out of it...

15. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 18:29 Shok

I pre-ordered also; got it on GMG a few weeks back for $24 when they had a site-wide discount. I'm sure I'll play it plenty of hours to justify the purchase. One more turn...  

14. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 18:26 WarpCrow

Really looking forward to this. I'm just a bit sad I jumped the gun and pre-ordered it for 27 on Steam when I could've had it for 20 on Green Man today.  

13. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 18:24 Cutter

It's not our fault if you don't understand the concept of relative value. P.T. Barnum loved people like you.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 17:17 Ray Ban

Already have it on pre-order.

With espionage and religion in place, I don't think I'll miss CIV4 anymore.

Currently kickstarting Tex Murphy - Project Fedora and Dead State

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

11. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 16:50 Crustacean Soup

It's definitely not comparable content-wise with the DLCs. This adds new gameplay mechanics, a substantial number of units/buildings/techs, and has to rebalance everything to compensate (and apparently they're going for a very different feel for the combat), in addition to civilizations and scenarios. The DLCs were only new Civs and Scenarios/maps. There's no comparison. All that adding a Civ involves is creating the leader and UI artwork, and making sure the civ's perks aren't OP.  

10. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 16:18 jacobvandy

9. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 14:14 NegaDeath

Have to say I don't have a problem with the cost. The price and the amount of content is comparable to the expansions for Civ IV.  

8. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 13:47 Crustacean Soup

ASeven wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 11:45:
Civ V is so, so underwhelming... It will easily go down as the worst Civ in the series.

And the price for this expansion is insane, compared to what is offering, which isn't that much. Even more outraging when you know "k hasn't fixed a ton of bugs in CivV.
$30 is insane?

They've added:
- new techs
- 27 units, 13 buildings, 9 wonders
- 3 scenarios
- 9 new civs/leaders, 2 new city-state types
- embassies, espionage
- religion
- melee sea units, embarked unit defense, embark stacking
- rebalanced combat, AI tweaks

Yeah, I'm fine with paying $30 for that. No doubt the price will drop in Steam sales for people who aren't.

7. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 13:43 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 11:15:
Can't believe they want almost 30 bucks for this. Wake me when it hits 10 bucks or under.

This. I like Civ V and enjoy it, but $30 is way too much. Maybe if it included all previous DLC it'd be worth it, but as it is it's about the same amount of content as their $5 DLCs.

6. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 12:29 Tumbler

Oh they did. I also found the combat fun in Civ5 if you turned the difficulty up to the point that you were always fighting heavily outnumbered. I really couldn't go back to the Civ4 stackfest, but apparently that's just me.

I just played a few games on the top three difficulties just to see what things are like. Over land the AI is fine but over sea they simply don't know what to do. They kind of know what to do if you border them and there is water in between but even then they will rush your cities across water which is suicide.

I hope they fix the AI so it uses oceans more effectively. It's almost like no one told the AI that researching optics will let you put every unit into the water and researching the next one lets everyone go over deep ocean. The AI plays as if shallow water is the only option.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 12:24 Mikus_Aurelius

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:02:
Played this a lot at release and it drove me nuts that the AI never attacked across water. Take over your continent and then ignore everyone was a workable strategy every time. Maybe they patched that, I dunno.

Oh they did. I also found the combat fun in Civ5 if you turned the difficulty up to the point that you were always fighting heavily outnumbered. I really couldn't go back to the Civ4 stackfest, but apparently that's just me.

4. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 12:02 StingingVelvet

Played this a lot at release and it drove me nuts that the AI never attacked across water. Take over your continent and then ignore everyone was a workable strategy every time. Maybe they patched that, I dunno.

I liked the game otherwise though, simplified to some degree in certain areas but combat (when they fucking attacked you) was more strategic and more fun.

3. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 ASeven

Civ V is so, so underwhelming... It will easily go down as the worst Civ in the series.

And the price for this expansion is insane, compared to what is offering, which isn't that much. Even more outraging when you know "k hasn't fixed a ton of bugs in CivV.

2. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 11:26 Beamer

When did they cast John Tutturo?  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 11:15 Cutter

Can't believe they want almost 30 bucks for this. Wake me when it hits 10 bucks or under.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo