Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word that free character transfers are now available for some players in BioWare's MMORPG (thanks Massively). Here's word:

The initial character transfer service is now available, allowing qualifying characters to be transferred at no charge from selected origin servers to selected destination servers. This character transfer service will be available as long as is required to help maintain population balance across the service and create a better overall gameplay experience. Select servers will be eligible for free character transfers based on the player populations of the origin and destination servers.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 13, 2012, 21:13 D_K_night

winnetou wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 09:35:
D_K_night wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 05:00:
Regarding group finder, it will be interesting to see how the playerbase reacts. Because when you visit the SWTOR forums, there are so many of them who in fact don't want it, because it's a "wow" feature, and that would pollute their beloved game.

From my brief impression of the SWTOR group finder compared to the WOW version:
It's single realm, so combined with the higher post-transfer populations, it should allow players to run levelling flashpoints much more conveniently than before and might also work well for level 50 content.
Single realm means that people will probably want to be more mindful of their reputation than the relatively anonymous giant pool of players in a WOW cross-realm group.
Ignoring a player will prevent you from getting matched with that player.

It seems promising to me, and I'm looking forward to using parts of it for my alts. I'm not as optimistic about finding a group for the most difficult content via this system (which in this case would be Lost Island hard mode or Explosive Conflict story mode), but might still give it a shot.

Just before I left WoW, I do recall that their group finder system was tweaked to favor any players within your specific realm FIRST - before it goes out to find other players to fill the roles.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a number of familiar faces that the group finder matched me up with. Things have been tweaked since the Lich King days but yes it was working well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 StingingVelvet

Sempai wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 04:12:
Yeah, it really is too bad a game like Swtor was your first experience.

I bet a lot of MMO haters and singleplayer gamers bought TOR for the story and Bioware name, like me. I don't think any MMO improvements would have made me like it though, I hated what it was at the core.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 Angrius Maximis

Awesome you can transfer from a dead server...to another dead server....sweet  

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 Trashy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:22:
Well it kind of makes sense, why would you want to transfer if you aren't going to play anyway?

I'm hopeful that if they finally add a grouping tool that the game might have a lot more content to play through. So I'd like my character on a server where I could use the tool. I'm not going to pay for a monthly sub then pay them to put me on a server that isn't empty. Either do it free before I resub or you can forget about me coming back.

I guess your never going to play again.. your logic prevents it. They're only going to allow this tool to be used with paying customers.

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 09:55 Beamer

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 07:53:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 22:21:
Hmm, let's see if my guy is eligible? Just gotta find that keyfob, ok found it. Logging in, and, no eligible characters. Hunh, I guess the server I was on is in ok shape? ...checking server status....dark reaper, light. Hunh...shouldn't that be a transfer eligible server?

Wait what is this:

Your account...

...must have an active subscription or game time remaining.
...must not be banned.

...I see. So I have to pay to use your "free" transfers and by the looks of it a transfer for me would not be free either. You guys are so awesome bioware. Keep it up.

Haha you're stretching so much with this complaint that you're going to need cocoa butter for your stretch marks. You are so awesome Tumbler. Keep it up.

Hehe, yeah, it was pretty damn funny. "How dare you expect me to be a user of your service in order to use your service!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 09:35 winnetou

D_K_night wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 05:00:
Regarding group finder, it will be interesting to see how the playerbase reacts. Because when you visit the SWTOR forums, there are so many of them who in fact don't want it, because it's a "wow" feature, and that would pollute their beloved game.

From my brief impression of the SWTOR group finder compared to the WOW version:
It's single realm, so combined with the higher post-transfer populations, it should allow players to run levelling flashpoints much more conveniently than before and might also work well for level 50 content.
Single realm means that people will probably want to be more mindful of their reputation than the relatively anonymous giant pool of players in a WOW cross-realm group.
Ignoring a player will prevent you from getting matched with that player.

It seems promising to me, and I'm looking forward to using parts of it for my alts. I'm not as optimistic about finding a group for the most difficult content via this system (which in this case would be Lost Island hard mode or Explosive Conflict story mode), but might still give it a shot.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 09:25 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 08:04:
I guess they're just actively trying to kill the game at this point and take it as a tax write down.

A friend informed me of a Rumor that Rich Vogel (I assume is the TOR Head Honcho) has been fired, and someone named Jeff Hickman is the replacement.

Again... this is a rumor... and my friend did not provide a link.

So, if true... the EA -> Warhammer pattern is going perfectly... BS about subs, do layoffs, offer permanent free trial, fire head honcho, offer server merges...

Another couple of rounds of layoffs and that will be all she wrote.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 08:04 Cutter

I guess they're just actively trying to kill the game at this point and take it as a tax write down.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 07:53 Fibrocyte

Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 22:21:
Hmm, let's see if my guy is eligible? Just gotta find that keyfob, ok found it. Logging in, and, no eligible characters. Hunh, I guess the server I was on is in ok shape? ...checking server status....dark reaper, light. Hunh...shouldn't that be a transfer eligible server?

Wait what is this:

Your account...

...must have an active subscription or game time remaining.
...must not be banned.

...I see. So I have to pay to use your "free" transfers and by the looks of it a transfer for me would not be free either. You guys are so awesome bioware. Keep it up.

Haha you're stretching so much with this complaint that you're going to need cocoa butter for your stretch marks. You are so awesome Tumbler. Keep it up.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 07:44 ChandlerL

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 03:22:
Are you really this naive, or do you work for Bioware and are therefore trying to defend their actions?

They need to merge servers, plain and simple. Allowing people to leave low population ones and go to higher population ones does not solve anything, it just makes the problem worse. Now you're left with even MORE low population servers than before. Get it yet?!

No, still don't. Since multiple low-pop servers are being funneled to a few high-pop servers, active players will now have folks to play with- the primary concern of those active players. Why does the future of the originating servers remain a point of contention? Is there a particular reason why folks would remain on a dead server when relief of that issue is a mouse click away? I'd like to see your point but I don't-- at least, not yet.

What I do know is that for my buddies and me, a high-pop server was made available to us, just like they're doing for everyone, we hit a few mouse clicks, it churned away for about 5 minutes, and that was that. Now we're looking at 600 other dudes sitting in fleet split between Republic and Empire versus the 4 poor slobs we saw yesterday.

Mergers are fine and they can come later-- Hell, I'd be surprised if they didn't. However, right now, today, offering transfers to active players is a load that can be handled efficiently so those folks can get to playing rather than waiting for a multi-day merge operation that requires additional development time.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 09:34.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 05:00 D_K_night

winnetou wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 03:36:
Allowing people to leave low population ones and go to higher population ones does not solve anything, it just makes the problem worse. Now you're left with even MORE low population servers than before.

These are opt-in server mergers. Servers marked as transfer sources will never be selected as a destination server. The transfer option will not disappear overnight, so players on source servers can just move whenever they accept that reality.
What this approach avoids is competing against inactive accounts for character and legacy names.

Regarding the group finder: it's currently available on the public test server. Still has a few bugs, but should probably make its way onto live servers along with the rest of patch 1.3 within the next few weeks.

Aye, fully agree that server merges absolutely need to happen.

So let's see if these so-called SWTOR eltists will stick around when the tool goes live.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 04:12 Sempai

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:59:
The Old Republic was my first (and based on how awful the experience was, most certainly my last) MMO, so I didn't even give the server a thought. Only later did I realize that I made my toon on a PvP server and couldn't play him on any other server. I guess I just assumed I could play him wherever I wanted.

Yeah, it really is too bad a game like Swtor was your first experience.
While the launch was relatively smooth, the client was a joke. It was a complete fucking mess of a game(and still is in many ways)with literally unfinished..everything, hell they released a modern mmo with no support for AA in 2011? Unbelievable.

These guys at EA/Bio deserve the mass exodus they've been experiencing these last couple months. It's only borderline retards like me who've stuck around(solid guild with close friends)and have put up with this steamy turd.

The monkeys are finally getting systems in place that should've been in months ago, and the game is alot fun, for myself, and may be a solid little mmo someday..possbily..if they can keep their current subs.
But i wouldn't blame someone like you one damn bit for running to the hills after experiencing the pile of ass Swtor was, and still is.

Wow killer? Uh huh..

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:59 NKD

Sempai wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 03:54:
They have a solid game on their hands, it's just sad the company running it appears to be 1 fry short of a happy meal.

It's not the miracle game some were expecting it to be, but I agree that it has a solid base for being something pretty good if they stop losing subscribers right now. Just a shame it couldnt keep me engrossed long enough for me to see it. Maybe I'll head back and check it out later this year.

The problem is that there is a tipping point on subscriber loss. Eventually losings subscribers becomes reason enough for more subscribers to leave and it just snowballs from there. They need to really up the ante on this server transfer/merge stuff ASAP or they won't be able to keep enough subs to give the game the attention it needs.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:54 Sempai

But that is a good thing, isn't it? I understand you're being sarcastic but I'm not understanding why. Why not transfer all your characters off the, as you called it, barren server to the more populated one? At the moment, the transfer is free for all of your characters on the low-pop server to the high-pop and near instant.

Are you really this naive, or do you work for Bioware and are therefore trying to defend their actions?

They need to merge servers, plain and simple. Allowing people to leave low population ones and go to higher population ones does not solve anything, it just makes the problem worse. Now you're left with even MORE low population servers than before. Get it yet?!

Maybe you should attempt looking past your own nose.
It's a pretty solid bet they'll eventually be shutting down dead(230 live)servers once their "mega" servers are ready for prime time.
Any stragglers left will get moved to a mega server while it's free. Anything after that will cost you to get moved to one you prefer if needed.

I agree it's in no way a perfect setup, and it's long overdue, but it's damn sure nice to see the Fleet on our server bustling with bodies again.

They have a solid game on their hands, it's just sad the company running it appears to be 1 fry short of a happy meal.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:37 NKD

Precisely. You can't take 100 nearly-empty glasses of water and somehow move the water around so that everyone is happy without ever emptying a glass completely.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:36 winnetou

Allowing people to leave low population ones and go to higher population ones does not solve anything, it just makes the problem worse. Now you're left with even MORE low population servers than before.

These are opt-in server mergers. Servers marked as transfer sources will never be selected as a destination server. The transfer option will not disappear overnight, so players on source servers can just move whenever they accept that reality.
What this approach avoids is competing against inactive accounts for character and legacy names.

Regarding the group finder: it's currently available on the public test server. Still has a few bugs, but should probably make its way onto live servers along with the rest of patch 1.3 within the next few weeks.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 JohnBirshire

But that is a good thing, isn't it? I understand you're being sarcastic but I'm not understanding why. Why not transfer all your characters off the, as you called it, barren server to the more populated one? At the moment, the transfer is free for all of your characters on the low-pop server to the high-pop and near instant.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 03:13 deqer

Teddy wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:53:
deqer wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:21:
yes, because once the script/tool is made and automated for transfers, it's still such a BIG ISSUE for a transfer from one database to another for you to mention "at no charge", right? ... lol. why would you charge for a tool that does the work automatically for you while you sleep, and probably only took several hours to make.

Considering the MMO that most people are familiar with DOES charge for server transfers, it's probably a good idea to mention that it doesn't. But of course, when a game company does something right (albeit WAY too late), it's still an opportunity to bitch isn't it?
It's a complete joke for companies to charge for something like that. It's same shit as them charging for you to change your account name... It's nothing at all, yet they charge you for it. So greedy.

And don't tell me they charge you because otherwise people would keep transfering, and keep changing their name. No. If they want to control/minimize that, then you can simply use a DATE field and set a DATE to +30 days cooldown. Very simple programming.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 03:24.

13. Re: Wrong solution... Jun 13, 2012, 02:57 NKD

I don't think BioWare understands the situation on their own game. Frankly, I'm a bit confused as to how they could be oblivious to a situation that is readily apparent even from an end-user standpoint.

Namely, the situation is that they have too many servers. No matter how they move people around, they will never ensure a healthy population on all servers.

They need to decrease the total number of servers with merges. I realize that's got some player inconvenience factors such as picking new names for themselves and their guild, but it's a hell of a lot better than living in a ghost town.

SWTOR has not had as successful a launch as BioWare hoped for, for sure, but they still had a decent number of subscribers. I doubt that's the case anymore. They waited too long and people got sick of playing on empty servers.

There were plenty of people who liked this game. Not as many as BioWare wanted, but they were there and simply did not want to play it by themselves. But BioWare couldn't get their act together quickly enough and it probably cost them an IMMENSE number of subscribers even beyond the huge drop we saw when the MMO-of-the-week crowd left.

12. Re: Wrong solution... Jun 13, 2012, 01:49 ChandlerL

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 01:08:
Not following you here. Doesn't look like that's what their doing. For instance I see transfers from servers to The Fatman which is their highest pop server. And for RPPVP it's split by coast, and all transfers from low-pop to the highest pop coastal RPPVP servers (i.e. Ven Zallow --> Jung Ma).

So they are making low population servers even more barren, and filling up the few servers that actually have a healthy population with even more players? Ahh I get it, nevermind then, fantastic solution! Carry on!

Savvy?

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 01:56.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo