Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 13:02 NegaDeath

Not sure what to think. I don't follow competitive gaming, but on the other hand I got a kick out those "when cheese fails" clips of starcraft 2 matches on youtube.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 09:29 Prez

F1, Rally, etc. are sports. Driving around an oval may be an endurance test but it's hardly a sport. Same as golf. They're hobbies, not sports. The qualifier is that if most people can do it, it's a hobby. I could drive around an oval really fast for a few hours but why would I ever want to?

So wrong! By your logic because everyone in America plays football, basketball and baseball to at least some minimal degree those must not be sports either! There's adifference between being able to just do something and being able to do something really, amazingly, astoundingly well.

I say we stick you in a stock car and see what place you finish in!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 08:17 CommunistHamster

I'd watch a 50 vs 50 Arma 2 battle between two well organised teams. Include "embedded reporters" as well as crowcams for video.

Man, I'm remembering some show on Bravo UK from 10 years ago now. Two teams face off in various videogame and hacking challenges.

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 07:14 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 01:51:
I never got the debate about whether Nascar is a sport. It seems pretty obvious that it is, even if I'd rather watch paint dry than a race. It's a competitive physical activity that is scored, has winners and losers, and mastery of it demands a high level of training, expertise and conditioning. If Golf is a sport, Nascar most certainly should be considered one as well.

As far as "e-sports", I can't fathom why anyone would want to watch that stuff. But then, I can't fathom why people watch "American I"DUH!"L and "Dancing with the Tards".

F1, Rally, etc. are sports. Driving around an oval may be an endurance test but it's hardly a sport. Same as golf. They're hobbies, not sports. The qualifier is that if most people can do it, it's a hobby. I could drive around an oval really fast for a few hours but why would I ever want to?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 04:03 Hyatus

"Up next: People Watching People Watching People Play eSports! Only on FOX!"  

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 01:51 Prez

I never got the debate about whether Nascar is a sport. It seems pretty obvious that it is, even if I'd rather watch paint dry than a race. It's a competitive physical activity that is scored, has winners and losers, and mastery of it demands a high level of training, expertise and conditioning. If Golf is a sport, Nascar most certainly should be considered one as well.

As far as "e-sports", I can't fathom why anyone would want to watch that stuff. But then, I can't fathom why people watch "American I"DUH!"L and "Dancing with the Tards".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 00:36 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:54:
OK, how about an eSporting event of people playing NASCAR???

What now, mister fancy pants?
I had just seen that in the wiki entry I was reading

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 23:54 PHJF

OK, how about an eSporting event of people playing NASCAR???

What now, mister fancy pants?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 23:39 Sepharo

Hate these debates/arguments where people try to define "sport" or "art".  

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 23:33 TheLeech

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 22:48:
In theory, it's no less a sport than, say, NASCAR or any other number of activities falling under that nomenclature.

Of all the borderline sports/games available, you picked auto racing? Clearly you've never been on a race track.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 22:48 DarkCntry

Koshmar wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:02:
eSports? Maybe eCompetitions or eGames, but to classify professional gaming as a sport seems silly. Professional poker isn't even referred to as a sport.

In theory, it's no less a sport than, say, NASCAR or any other number of activities falling under that nomenclature.

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 21:36 Flatline

Koshmar wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:02:
eSports? Maybe eCompetitions or eGames, but to classify professional gaming as a sport seems silly. Professional poker isn't even referred to as a sport.

I hope CBS jumps into this with both feet... so we can hear the shin bones shatter when they hit the ground.

The last thing I want to do is watch other people play video games for an hour or two. It may be all the rage in South Korea, but the day I become an avid "eSport" (snicker) fan is the day I give in and blow my head off, because there's nowhere lower to go.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 12, 2012, 21:02 Koshmar

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo