Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas

Here's more Diablo III news, as the game's website has word that the real-money auction house is now live for the Americas region of the action/RPG sequel, allowing the sale of in-game items for cold, hard cash in the form of the U.S. dollar, Australian dollar, and Mexican peso. They say the launch will follow for other currencies in the Americas region as well as the European game region, as they are staging the launch to try and keep things running as smoothly as possible. To that end, this involves equipment only to begin with, and they will roll out commodities trading in future. They outline regional restrictions on how this works, and remind us of the recently announced requirement that an authenticator be used to by real-money auction house users.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 21:18 shinchan0s

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 13:27:

They're just practicing for when they illegally cross the border. Americano eh!

Jesus, you're dumb.

Anyway, my wife's from Peru so we have a lot of friends from Bolivia, Colombia, Brazil, etc. Orogogus is right, it just depends on the context of the conversation, American is a term used for anybody living in the Americas. Still, when they're talking about a guy from the United States the only term I've heard them use is "Americano".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 20:40 Sepharo

Unless they've changed their minds, the one thing I can give Blizzard some due credit for is the decision to not have the RMAH in Hardcore mode. Especially considering that's probably where loot would be the most valuable.  

50. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 18:04 Creston

BrazosRR wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 18:10:
If a player gains financially when they cheat, since you might be able to cheat and auction before they do a rolling ban, does this get into the realm of criminal charges?
If a player has items in the game purchased with real money, can they claim those items are an investment, and if they get banned, will they have any recourse when they are cutoff from their investments?

What's more interesting is: What happens when you have a character loaded with great loot, and some fucked up bug happens that wipes it all out, or your hardcore character dies from some invisible bullshit.

Before Blizzard could say "Well, sucks to be you." But now with the RMAH, you have a pretty solid case to go to court and say "Blizzard's bullshit cost me XX dollars in loot" since there is an auction house and soon there will be precedents for every item's sale prices.

I have no clue what's in their ToS, but there better be an absolute shitload of legalese protection clauses in there to avoid this becoming a train of lawsuits vs blizzard.

It's amazing that they'd open such a potential massive headache all for the sake of a few dollars. Rampant greed FTW!

Creston

49. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 13:27 RollinThundr

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:00:
Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

So, they ignore their nationality in normal, general usage? If true, I find it very surprising. I mean, yes -- people in Europe or Asia might in some contexts will refer to themselves as European or Asian, but in normal general usage they think and refer to themselves as Germans, and Indians, or whatever.

They're just practicing for when they illegally cross the border. Americano eh!

48. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:37:
Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

So, they ignore their nationality in normal, general usage? If true, I find it very surprising. I mean, yes -- people in Europe or Asia might in some contexts will refer to themselves as European or Asian, but in normal general usage they think and refer to themselves as Germans, and Indians, or whatever.

My impression is that it's generally used when referring to populations rather than individuals, so yes, in the same sense that you would talk about Europeans or Asians. At an individual level they would refer to themselves by nationality, but in news or whatever they talk about goings-on in the Americas, and I've met some people who were slightly huffy about Americans appropriating the term for themselves.

I guess it might be an effect of having a lot of small countries who speak the same language (and I guess they don't like "South American" for whatever reason). The few Brazilians I know do use americano to refer to US citizens - Brazil's a fairly large country, and it's the only that speaks Portuguese instead of Spanish.

47. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:37 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

46. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:00 Orogogus

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 08:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 07:34:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 06:44:
Sorry I was that hard. But some comments are really really stupid. If I'm a politically correct asshole for correcting someone who thinks that US Residents are the only AMERICANS in the fucking continent, then ok.

This is not meant as a provocation of any kind, I don't know the answer to this question: Are there residents of any country other than the US that actually refer to themselves as "Americans"? I assume people in Canada think of themselves as Canadians, in Mexico as Mexicans, in Columbia as Columbians, in Brazil as Brazilians, etc, etc..

And if it is "improper" in some way for residents of the US to call themselves "Americans" what should we call ourselves?

Exactly. Americans comes from the fact United Statsians sounds fucking retarded, and that America is in our country name. Mexico is not Mexico of America on a map.

The pretentious need to point out American could technically apply to over a dozen countries is just another example of people jumping to feel superior.

Well, it started when someone had apparently never heard of the term "Americas" before. It's a common term for international businesses to refer to North and South America together, as often these will be handled by a headquarters in the US while another HQ in Europe or Asia handles the other territories. Occasionally people use it for just North America (Canada, US, Mexico), because North is too long to type or something. But, eh; Penny Arcade made a big deal about the term once too.

45. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 09:27 Verno

Made out like a bandit last night for basically just playing the game like I would have anyway. In a way I'm kind of sad that this monetization of gaming has arrived in earnest but on the other hand its hard to argue with idiots paying for my games for me. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, people are still paying $50 for D2 items which were endlessly duped. One thing is for sure, EA will be hopping on this bandwagon as soon as humanly possible.

They made it a pain in the ass to cash out on this thing btw, I suspect anything over $60 has to be manually approved.

Edit: since someone sent me a PM about it, legendaries are an easy thing to cash out, people love them that orange text color. Even dumb shit like a Butchers Sickle was going for $15 a pop yesterday, not sure where its at this morning though.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 10:11.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

44. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 08:58 RollinThundr

Sorry I was that hard. But some comments are really really stupid. If I'm a politically correct asshole for correcting someone who thinks that US Residents are the only AMERICANS in the fucking continent, then ok.

This is not meant as a provocation of any kind, I don't know the answer to this question: Are there residents of any country other than the US that actually refer to themselves as "Americans"? I assume people in Canada think of themselves as Canadians, in Mexico as Mexicans, in Columbia as Columbians, in Brazil as Brazilians, etc, etc..

And if it is "improper" in some way for residents of the US to call themselves "Americans" what should we call ourselves?

Surely the correct term would be Obamacans. All hail the Messiah or something something. Wiseguy

43. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 08:56 StingingVelvet

Exactly. Americans comes from the fact United Statsians sounds fucking retarded, and that America is in our country name. Mexico is not Mexico of America on a map.

The pretentious need to point out American could technically apply to over a dozen countries is just another example of people jumping to feel superior.

42. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 07:34 Mr. Tact

41. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 07:07 shinchan0s

If only Blizz spent all the time and resources on the RMAH toward teaching the monk to use actually use the weapon in his/her hand...  

40. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 07:02 Animals for Crackers

Luke wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:23:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 19:03:
Yey, now I can use this game for the only reason I paid for it.

Ripping off people who are lazy and have too much money to part with.

And while you do that blizzi is ripping you , who is smarter
Clown

A 15% gratuity/tax for arbitration of services (notwithstanding the near identical rates for other, virtually analogous real-world applications) you can still make a hefty profit on, a service without which you wouldn't be easily making ANY real money and still be doing the same repetitive, time-consuming farming tasks for in-game currency with little else to show for it.

But oh noes, it's information super-highway robbery I tells ya! Dunce

39. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 06:44 ochentay4

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:51:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:32:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 19:24:
Whazzat headline mean? You mean there is more than one America?

Are you stupid or what? Do you live inside a bottle? There is North America and South America. US residents are not the only AMERICANS. Canadians, Mexicans, Colombians, Argentinians and every fucking country in the Americas have Americans.

OK. Took 22 minutes for the first politically correct asshole to show up. Pretty disappointing show there, guys. You politically correct assholes really need to take shit a little bit more seriously, man.

I'd like to light every single one of the PC crowd on fire to be honest.

38. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 23:51 RollinThundr

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 21:32:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 19:24:
Whazzat headline mean? You mean there is more than one America?

Are you stupid or what? Do you live inside a bottle? There is North America and South America. US residents are not the only AMERICANS. Canadians, Mexicans, Colombians, Argentinians and every fucking country in the Americas have Americans.

OK. Took 22 minutes for the first politically correct asshole to show up. Pretty disappointing show there, guys. You politically correct assholes really need to take shit a little bit more seriously, man.

I'd like to light every single one of the PC crowd on fire to be honest.

37. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 23:23 Luke

Trevellian wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 19:03:
Yey, now I can use this game for the only reason I paid for it.

Ripping off people who are lazy and have too much money to part with.

And while you do that blizzi is ripping you , who is smarter
Clown

36. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 23:12 Mr. Tact

I wish there was a real time counter available indicating how much money Blizzard was making off the RMAH. I think I would enjoy that.  

35. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 23:04 Ozmodan

Have not even used the in game gold auction house yet. What is the point of buying things when the entire point of the game is a loot chase.  

34. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 22:17 Ventura

And if for some reason you don't know what the cookie cutter spec is, here it is

Rather ironically, by recommending a spec that one "absolutely must adhere to", you're damn near confirming what I said. Doesn't absolutely having to pop both WotB and Earthquake for every semi-tough fight suggest there's a problem?

Each to their own, but it reads as broken to me, and going on the official forums, apparently a great many others too.

33. removed Jun 12, 2012, 21:32 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 13, 2012, 07:57.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo