Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Previews

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Previews Jun 13, 2012, 04:04 Dev

A relevant quote from when I RTFA

Their chosen method for walking that tightrope, it seems, is to keep the gameplay relatively familiar while adding a layer of presentational gloss designed to attract a generation raised on first-person shooters

That sounds good to me.

Also for the guy who replied about character death:

every character in the new Xcom is constantly at risk of permanent death if you're not careful. To a generation raised on more forgiving games with frequent checkpoints and low penalties for failure, the prospect of losing advanced, heavily upgraded characters for good might be a bit jarring. But Deangelis said that he never really considered removing this key element of the Xcom series.

"That really is part of the fun, in a weird way," he said. "On the surface, it seems like I've invested all this time into this lieutenant, so it wouldn't be fun to lose him. But knowing the fact that he can go away, those consequences really add a lot of interest to the game. Every action the aliens take can make it feel that much more exciting, knowing they can actually go away. ... You're trying to hold up an alien invasion, and part of that is major consequences in losing these guys."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 16:08 Matshock

You know the number #1 reason games like COD, et. all annoy me? It's beyond the fact that they're mindless- they force you to be stupid.

I remember the first map of Rainbow Six Vegas (2?)- when in a city in Mexico and the heat is on your leader comes in on the radio "Hey, let's all climb up onto the second floor of that church, where there is no cover and we can be cut off and surrounded!" I quit playing right there.

I have no worries of Firaxis doing something like that. And the X-COM EU underground base looks more than acceptable.

Any word on the mission structure? Is like X-COM where you have to pick and choose where to send resources or more linear?

6. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 14:13 Cpmartins

I've been seeing the videos, and they did some pretty interesting stuff for the "cool" crowd that I don't think will influence the depth of the strategic layer.
For example: When you tell a support trooper to "suppress" a target, he'll keep firing at it, giving the impression of ongoing action, but in reality it's just fluff. Also, when you get in contact with a pack of aliens, they'll get their turn first, also reinforcing the "seems like it's real time but it isn't" effect.
Can't remember some other stuff they did in that regard, but there's more of it I'm sure.
High hopes for this one.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 14:02 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 13:37:
Shok wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:37:
"There's a lot of elements that will appeal to someone who plays Halo or Gears of War or Call of Duty," Deangelis said.

/facepalm

*prays* Please don't suck please don't suck.

Oh gods above no! Seriously? They seriously said that? I just lost all faith in this game if that's true.

Well, maybe if people actually quoted entire thoughts instead of cherry picking phrases:
"There's a lot of elements that will appeal to someone who plays Halo or Gears of War or Call of Duty," Deangelis said. "You're fighting off aliens, you have guns, you have big explosions. The gameplay is different, you're not real-time, spamming the shoot button. You're playing sort of a similar scenario, but... in a different way that I think is more fun, a little bit more thought-provoking. But all of the sheen and gloss and sexiness of the console shootersówe have that in our strategy game, and that's how I think we pull in some of those guys that haven't heard of Xcom."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 13:56 LgFriess

From the actual game play I've seen on youtube, it's still looking really, really good. The squad limit thing worries me though. Makes me think it won't be nearly as brutal as the original and part of the fun was the sense of dread when losing soldiers. I just hope they don't cupcake it up too much for the console kiddies.

Having a game kick your ass from time to time is NOT a bad thing.

3. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 13:37 Cutter

Shok wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:37:
"There's a lot of elements that will appeal to someone who plays Halo or Gears of War or Call of Duty," Deangelis said.

/facepalm

Oh gods above no! Seriously? They seriously said that? I just lost all faith in this game if that's true.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 13:21 Verno

I think he just means the silly camera action pans and stuff. I get that, they need some of that to appeal to the newer generation and I don't think it will inherently affect the quality of the game any.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 Shok

/facepalm

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo