Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2012, 07:16 Animals for Crackers

PHJF wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:57:
Didn't need Wii to play Zelda, just bought it for GCN instead. And as for Skyward Sword... well, after TP, SS just looked like fucking shit.

Sadly, I gotta agree, though not in as strong terms. I still haven't played SS, and this is saying something for me. Everything I've read about it has turned me off as a Zelda fan. The combat seems interesting, but the exploration/progression seems super gated for a Zelda game.

I don't want individual areas that play like a dungeon, only then to move on to the actual dungeon and rinse/repeat.

The open-world reprieve (and access to new areas you could tackle at your own leisure) after each dungeon was something to be savored in past games. From what I've read, there's a lot less of that in Skyward Sword; everything's more linear and the game supposedly takes 3 hours just to get past the tutorial phase.

Then there's the art style which seems to not know what it wants to be and Link's creepy doll-face. Dozey

I'll eventually buy it though next time I come across it cheap. Even average Nintendo games are still usually worth checking out.

Also, sign me up for another 2d-Metroid game. Prime was sublime, but now I think it's time. Other M doesn't count! A 2d-Metroid (in the same vein/treatment as their excellent DKC Returns) by Retro would be just the ticket.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 07:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 18:21 NegaDeath

Lokust wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 16:48:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 15:30:
Get me a new Metroid Prime in HD and I'm there.

Get me a new Metroid game that doesn't play like a Metroid Prime and I'm there.

Bah. You guys got Other M, now it's our turn!

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 18:21 Bet

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 17:10:
What.. the PS3 wasn't expensive at all at launch! I personally took Mr. Hirai's advice and got a 2nd job to get my first one.. no sweat! In fact, I loved it so much I sold my left nut a week later to build a small PS3 gaming room with multiple consoles. Aah it's like basking in a room full of supercomputers, I just turn them all on and absorb every bit of that Reality Synthesizing Emotion Engine goodness.

Well here we are 4 years later.. and I've still got one nut left, so bring on the PS4!
Iceburn. Impressive summation of the PS3's launch hype.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 17:10 Mordecai Walfish

What.. the PS3 wasn't expensive at all at launch! I personally took Mr. Hirai's advice and got a 2nd job to get my first one.. no sweat! In fact, I loved it so much I sold my left nut a week later to build a small PS3 gaming room with multiple consoles. Aah it's like basking in a room full of supercomputers, I just turn them all on and absorb every bit of that Reality Synthesizing Emotion Engine goodness.

Well here we are 4 years later.. and I've still got one nut left, so bring on the PS4!

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 16:48 Lokust

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 15:30:

Get me a new Metroid game that doesn't play like a Metroid Prime and I'm there.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 16:04 Smellfinger

Nintendo is well past their prime. Gunpei Yokoi is dead and Miyamoto hasn't gotten his hands dirty since Mario 64. He's basically retired but the execs won't let him admit it in public for fear of what it will do to the brand. He had to backpeddle after he let it slip in a Brazilian interview because of the shitstorm it caused. I'm sure the next Wii will be a commercial success but Nintendo's visionary spirit is gone for the most part.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 15:30 NegaDeath

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 15:08 Ray Marden

I think it depends on the type of gamer, at least in a general sense.

Many "core" gamers, myself included, played the various Nintendo brands (Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.)

However, I know a lot of casual players that speak highly of the sports games or simply party games like the Raving Rabids line.
Stuff I never cared about.
Owning a dead 360 Slim ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 13:08 Verno

I eventually just got Dolphin setup which was a bit of a bear at first but ended up being worth it as there were a few decent Wii games. The upscaling and AA made a big difference too.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 13:06 Silicon Avatar

Oh yeah, I ended up playing a lot of really old games on the VC too.

I liked the Wii ok. Waggle controls were overdone and misused but it was novel for a while. It's too bad they didn't do HD out of the gate. Now they have to release a console when nobody really wants to spend big money on much of anything.

Getting tired of the recession..

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 12:57 PHJF

Didn't need Wii to play Zelda, just bought it for GCN instead. And as for Skyward Sword... well, after TP, SS just looked like fucking shit.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 12:56 Tumbler

Psh, $300? Maybe with some amazing games we've not seen yet they might get that price but right now $200 is asking a lot. I don't see much on the system that makes me care right now.

You better start investing in games.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 12:08 Beamer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:57:
Did people really buy Wii to play Wii Sports? I bought it to play Zelda and Mario - the same reason I bought the cube (which did suck, admittedly).

I'll probably get a Wii U later for HD.

It'd be nice if it played my collection of Wii games.

I'm not busting out of the gate to buy one though. It's something that can wait a year or more.

Most people I know only played Wii Sports, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Brothers and Wii Fitness.

I tried the Zelda, and it felt too much like Wind Waker (same animations, sound effects, some same visual effects), I enjoyed Mario Galaxy for a time, I dug Mario Kart but didn't understand the legacy map choices, and I was disappointed in Smash Brothers. No one I knew got that far with games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 Silicon Avatar

Did people really buy Wii to play Wii Sports? I bought it to play Zelda and Mario - the same reason I bought the cube (which did suck, admittedly).

I'll probably get a Wii U later for HD.

It'd be nice if it played my collection of Wii games.

I'm not busting out of the gate to buy one though. It's something that can wait a year or more.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo