Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Various factors in the Gunnar-man's recent spate of peeing suggest it's psychological rather than physiological, but I am familiar enough with my own tendency to be dogmatic (no pun intended) in analyzing things when I have a preconception about what's going on that I can't rule out it being medical, so its come to the point where it's time to ask the vet if she sees any reason for this sudden flood of urine we're getting to experience.

Flood of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Infectonator 2.
Cave Chaos 2.
Stories: Hitchhiker writing book called ‘Kindness in America’ shot.
Four arrested in La Mesa snack bar caper. Thanks
A catch straight out of the deep blue sea. Thanks nin.
Science: Cervical cancer find solves decades-long mystery.
Lack of sleep may increase chance of stroke.
Artist Jason de Graaf Creates Amazing Hyperrealistic Paintings.
Media: POrtal- Terminal Velocity. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
The Many Deaths of Maggie Chow.
LEGO 2001 A Space Odyssey.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Dogs and their tendancies Jun 13, 2012, 12:14 medusa[nyc]

when my dog started to drink water and pee all over the place we took her to the vet and found out that she was diabetic. so now she is limited to 2 feedings a day with 3 units of insulin with each meal.

please post what it turns out to be if it isnt psychological.

and good luck. the good news is since we found out my doggie is fine and has lived with it for almost 2 years now (she is 13)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2012, 12:05 xXBatmanXx

That's a good point, too. Had a cat that was always a little overweight and she suddenly lost a ton of weight. So I got to give her insulin shots the rest of her life (she was about 12-13, so another 4 years or so).

Wife's cat sis 14 or so and got a really bad ear infection from living at her sister's place. So now we have 3 dogs and a cat. I am not a cat person at all, but this cat and I have always connected. His left ear is huge like a balloon and is getting the stichwork surgery on Sunday. Poor little guy. Cats are disgusting creatures.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2012, 12:25.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2012, 00:01 nin

wurtin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:43:
Has Gunnar-man been drinking an extra amount of water lately and maybe losing some weight?

If so it could be diabetes. I had that happen to my 7-year old Beagle about 10 years ago. The peeing everywhere, extra drinking, and losing weight were the symptoms that showed up before the diagnosis.

That's a good point, too. Had a cat that was always a little overweight and she suddenly lost a ton of weight. So I got to give her insulin shots the rest of her life (she was about 12-13, so another 4 years or so).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 22:32 Veterator

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 18:15:
I just realized that Krater came out today. Anyone playing it or was in the beta? Any good?

Played the beta for about 4 hours and never went back to it. If that helps any.....I didn't think it was bad...it just wasn't very interesting for the 4 hours I played it. Might be more to it if you put the time in, was a lot of stuff I never had money to buy, etc...so no idea on those.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 21:16 xXBatmanXx

WOOOT!~!!

Hope the sale starts soon!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15030

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 20:43 wurtin

Has Gunnar-man been drinking an extra amount of water lately and maybe losing some weight?

If so it could be diabetes. I had that happen to my 7-year old Beagle about 10 years ago. The peeing everywhere, extra drinking, and losing weight were the symptoms that showed up before the diagnosis.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 20:35 nin

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:23:
Seeing as it's summer why not put a dog house in the back yar and leave him out most of the time untill you get to the root of it.

I would guess that's only going to make it worse. If he's acting out, that only going to...um...piss him off?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 20:23 Cutter

Seeing as it's summer why not put a dog house in the back yar and leave him out most of the time untill you get to the root of it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Dogs and their tendancies Jun 12, 2012, 18:55 nin

Got rid of one dog, and the other one stopped his peeing behaviour.

Well I can tell you right now, that's not happening.

17. Dogs and their tendancies Jun 12, 2012, 18:39 BazzaLB

Blue, here's my amateur theory on your dog peeing issue.

As dogs get older, they feel more easily threatened by other dogs around them. This leads to more pronounced territorial behaviour, especially in the presence of other dogs. I believe you have 2 dogs and this may be why one of them has started to mark his territory to re-establish dominance over the other.

I had 2 dogs at one point, after a couple of years of harmony, they started fighting and one starting peeing all over the house. Got rid of one dog, and the other one stopped his peeing behaviour.

Good luck, nothing worse than coming across unexpected stains of various age around the house.

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 18:15 Cutter

I just realized that Krater came out today. Anyone playing it or was in the beta? Any good?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 17:40 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:38:
The Decade Long Game of Civ 2

Thanks, Beam. That's pretty interesting. It sounds like he's reached a dead end with the AI.

It reminds me of another article about a guy who ran out of time to play games, so he'd set up AI only games of Starcraft and let them run overnight and look at the results in the morning. I couldn't find the article, but it was pretty interesting.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re:Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 17:29 Bronco

Sadly real life (business, family, etc.) has really cramped my gaming style.

I do stop by here and read every week or so but since I don't play games anymore I don't have a lot of input.

-TPFKAS2S

13. Re: Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 15:45 Cutter

Bronco wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 13:48:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:04:
Speaking of which, has anyone ever been through Wyoming? I haven't as of yet, but would like to check out some of it as I understand it's very beauttiful country.I was thinking about going to the Natural Bridges Monument in Utah for some camping in late summer/early fall and reckoned I might swing on into Wyoming whilst I'm out that way. Mebbe just drive across through and hit South Dakota too as I've always wanted to see Mount Rushmore. Whilst I've been all over the east, west, and southern US many times I've missed most of the stuff in the middle so far.

I've been through Wyoming twice. First via Omaha, through Nebraska into Wyoming stopping at Devils Tower stopping in Jackson Hole, stayed in Jackson for a week to see the Tetons and Yellowstone. Then headed up into Montana for Big Sky then back through South Dakota to see Mt Rushmore on my way home. Great trip.

My second trip we flew into Denver, stopped in Estes Park and camped in Rocky Mountain National Park then drove a straight shot from Estes Park to Jackson and spent 6 or so days again in the Tetons and Yellowstone.

It really is great country, I can't wait to take the kids out there in 3 years.

Sweet. And good to see you alive and kickin' bud.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 15:41 jdreyer

Veterator wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 15:04:
Lack of sleep and poor quality of sleep has links to all kinds of things.

It worsens or increases your chance for diabetes.

It can affect your weight, usually weight gain.

High blood pressure and future heart problems, depends on the severity of your sleep apnea/other sleep issues.

It also has ties to glaucoma.

Headaches, migraines, etc.

And poor sleep/lack of sleep generally gives people a really short temper and usually ends up leading to depression.

So while stroke chances increase is bad and all, there's lots of reasons to make sure you are getting a restful nights sleep aside from just feeling better.

Damn you, Skyrim! You're killing me!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 15:04 Veterator

Lack of sleep and poor quality of sleep has links to all kinds of things.

It worsens or increases your chance for diabetes.

It can affect your weight, usually weight gain.

High blood pressure and future heart problems, depends on the severity of your sleep apnea/other sleep issues.

It also has ties to glaucoma.

Headaches, migraines, etc.

And poor sleep/lack of sleep generally gives people a really short temper and usually ends up leading to depression.

So while stroke chances increase is bad and all, there's lots of reasons to make sure you are getting a restful nights sleep aside from just feeling better.

10. Re: Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 14:40 DG

The Portal video had excellent effects, but one thing always bothers me about these Portal videos.

They all do the perpetual falling thing. It always ends safely.

Sure, videos are entertainment, but when set in a context of Portal physics in "real life" there has to be a nod towards physics in real life.

Terminal velocity is about 120mph when a skydiver takes maximum resistance (i.e. belly down), and it's reached in about 15 seconds. Going feet-first, all tucked in to avoid losing limbs on the edge of the portal, the speed could be getting on for 200mph.

True, the upward motion should slow him until he reaches 0 mph at the peak. So we'd have to consider just the subsequent falling back.

Even if we're to assume the height reached is correct when the exit portal is moved to the back yard, he free-falls after that for ~5 seconds, so assuming a belly-fall shouldn't he be going around 85mph when he falls back into it, and not much less than that when he goes splat onto the ground? Though maybe he'd already be dead from the instant change in direction.

9. Re: Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 13:50 nin

Holy fuck, it's Bronco! Welcome back from your 14 month hiatus.

8. Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 13:48 Bronco

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:04:
Speaking of which, has anyone ever been through Wyoming? I haven't as of yet, but would like to check out some of it as I understand it's very beauttiful country.I was thinking about going to the Natural Bridges Monument in Utah for some camping in late summer/early fall and reckoned I might swing on into Wyoming whilst I'm out that way. Mebbe just drive across through and hit South Dakota too as I've always wanted to see Mount Rushmore. Whilst I've been all over the east, west, and southern US many times I've missed most of the stuff in the middle so far.

I've been through Wyoming twice. First via Omaha, through Nebraska into Wyoming stopping at Devils Tower stopping in Jackson Hole, stayed in Jackson for a week to see the Tetons and Yellowstone. Then headed up into Montana for Big Sky then back through South Dakota to see Mt Rushmore on my way home. Great trip.

My second trip we flew into Denver, stopped in Estes Park and camped in Rocky Mountain National Park then drove a straight shot from Estes Park to Jackson and spent 6 or so days again in the Tetons and Yellowstone.

It really is great country, I can't wait to take the kids out there in 3 years.

-TPFKAS2S

7. Re: Four arrested in La Mesa snack bar caper. Jun 12, 2012, 13:30 nin

SirKnight wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:51:
Heh, at first I thought that said Black Mesa. Gordon is being naughty.

Thought the same thing...I was having flashbacks to using the microwave in the breakroom in HL...

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo