Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items

This forum post on the Chinese Diablo III website indicates that Blizzard's action/RPG is offline in Asia as they deal with duplicate items. They say (translated) "less than 0.01% of the items have been copied," though according to Blend Games, "the Asian virtual marketplace in Diablo III has become ostensibly flooded with duplicate items and hyper-inflation." Here is Google Translate's rough machine interpretation of Blizzard's Chinese statement:

First of all, we are deeply grateful to you for your patience waiting for the development team during this maintenance time in order to restore the service as a whole.

On June 10, our development team has found some error on the stored items in the database, these errors represent a very small part of the items can not be normal trading or selling. This error caused all less than 0.01% of the items have been copied, the majority of players and is not affected by this problem, but the database before removing these duplicated items, is unable to maintain stable. Therefore, we carried out the maintenance of the server, and perform the necessary operations to fix this problem. The development team is currently working to make the server able to resume service as soon as possible.

All original items and their reproductions will be removed from the database, follow-up, we will tell the exact time of maintenance completed, but currently estimated Server recovery services some time in the afternoon of June 11, 8 pm (Taiwan time).

We have also noted that part of the players during a short period of the game after the break and suffered back problems. This issue follow-up will be further instructions.Note: to restore service postponed to 20:00

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

26. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 23:04 Tumbler

I feel like Blizzard is doing gamers a huge favor here. We could have slowly adjusted to the idea that always online gaming sucked over a decade or so but when you go and slap it onto a game like this that "everyone" plays then I think you just accelerate the process and now consumers will crucify the next company that comes up and says "Always Online!"  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:53 grudgebearer

deqer wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 22:38:
of 2012? why not "of the decade" or "of all time" ?

Because Ubisoft is still making games this year...

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

24. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:38 deqer

avianflu wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 22:22:
Good thing D3 single-player is online so that it could prevent these things from happening. Mandatory online gaming is awesome.

I am gonna call it: Worst major release game of 2012
of 2012? why not "of the decade" or "of all time" ?

23. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:22 avianflu

Good thing D3 single-player is online so that it could prevent these things from happening. Mandatory online gaming is awesome.

I am gonna call it: Worst major release game of 2012

22. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:14 Wallshadows

Well, like others have said, I feel as though there is a a great game buried beneath and it will likely take time before we are able to enjoy it for what it is rather than find ways to nit pick and voice our opinions about certain design elements.

I play it, I grind 5 NV stacks and punch Siegebreaker in the face, rinse and repeat, but I know there is much room for improvement both from Blizzard and with the game and I think that will start with 1.03.

21. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:07 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:12:
Dev wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 20:19:
Didn't I just read like 20 replies in the other diablo 3 thread from diablo 3 defenders saying how there weren't any dupes?

No, actually the haters are louder than anyone else. You know - the people that don't play the game....

I do own the game for what it's worth, stopped playing mid hell difficulty when the game became either buy from the AH to survive, or grind for ever in hopes of finding something useful with their shitty item stats and weak ass legendaries. It stopped being fun or at the least a mildly enjoyable time killer during free time.

For a game that spent 7 years in dev, plus the canceled D3 Blizz North worked on for a couple years before getting the axe, it wasn't worth the wait.

Between their terrible servers, lack of security, and multiple asstastic design decisions, someone who bought the game has the right to bitch I think.

20. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 22:02 Wallshadows

The only way it could even be loosely considered duping is because you're continuously crafting the base item and it's impossible to craft the same item with the same stats twice or ever let alone 'over and over and over'.

I mean, if you watch the video you'll see that no two bows which they craft are the same and are so bad that you would have to pay someone else to take them. Hardly worth duping if they keep making those same items over and over again if they aren't worth anything more than the vendor price.

Not the same = not duping and I REALLY doubt they were throwing quality 600 - 700 dps bows on the market and making a killing and even if they were good, they're ilvl 62 which doesn't even put them as best in slot if they come out with an awesome craft. Heck, for comparison, Windforce is a ilvl 62 bow and it's pretty terrible but they both carry the same stat weights.

It's really that simple. Again, if there were REAL dupes/exact copies released to the public, this didn't provide seller that luxury and either Blizzard is exaggerating their findings or there is a highly exclusive, private method.

19. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:52 William Usher

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:43:
I can admit that I was one who claimed these were not duped items but rather crashing a game to return to an earlier state in order to constantly provide materials in order to craft until a godly was made.

For exact dupes, there would have had to be another method which was likely not released to the general public which is standard procedure for operation such as this and, either way, it's nice to see they cleaned up the AH even if just for a moment.

Eh, it's the same thing. They were making the same items (or similar items) over and over and over again and then flooded the market with these items. Besides, even Blizzard admits that this so-called exploit is labeled as "item duping". It doesn't really get any clearer than that.

18. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:49 Cutter

Don't hate the playah...

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:47 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:12:
No, actually the haters are louder than anyone else. You know - the people that don't play the game....

6.3m copies sold, sorry I'm pretty sure many of the people talking are probably owners. Talking about the games problems isn't hating.

16. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:43 Wallshadows

I can admit that I was one who claimed these were not duped items but rather crashing a game to return to an earlier state in order to constantly provide materials in order to craft until a godly was made.

The link to cinemablend didn't show an exact form of duping because one of the two players who took part in this had their inventory reset after the game closed. The player who provides the crafting materials will have his inventory reset to still have the materials and the player who crafted the items will still have the item. You're not making two identical items, you're simply provided unlimited materials to make entirely new items.

For exact dupes, there would have had to be another method which was likely not released to the general public which is standard procedure for operation such as this and, either way, it's nice to see they cleaned up the AH even if just for a moment.

15. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:25 eunichron

Dev wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:14:
I saw at least 3 people replying about how that story wasn't about dupes. And I didn't look into the technical details, so maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't.

That story wasn't about dupes, it was about crafting items for free.

But if this one is truly about dupes (you know, exact duplicates of items), then I wonder why it's such an issue on Asian servers but not NA and EU servers?

14. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:14 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 20:58:
Didn't I just read like 20 replies in the other diablo 3 thread from diablo 3 defenders saying how there weren't any dupes?

I think it was just one, Krowen repeating over and over how there are no dupes and we're all, Blue included, just trolls out to get his precious precious Blizzard.
I saw at least 3 people replying about how that story wasn't about dupes. And I didn't look into the technical details, so maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't.

Regardless, that point is moot. Blizzard has just admitted THERE ARE DUPES in d3. The always on DRM didn't stop dupes. Blizzard's security is lacking, and I don't think they've focused nearly enough on it.

And them saying .01% isn't very reassuring.
If there's 1 billion items in the game database, then .01% is still 100,000 items that were duped. Thats not small in absolute terms. Thats plenty enough to flood the market with duped legendary or set items, or maybe even the highest end gems.

13. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 21:12 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:58 RollinThundr

I think it was just one, Krowen repeating over and over how there are no dupes and we're all, Blue included, just trolls out to get his precious precious Blizzard.

11. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:42 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 19:36:
Dupes are impossible because of the persistent online connection.

It is now obligatory that all D3 owners will not read any more gaming sites since they all fabricate lies. THERE ARE NO DUPES. So sayeth your Blizzard Masters.

10. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:39 Slashman

You there!!! Close your eyes and repeat this 20 times: 'There are no dupes! There are no dupes! D3 is perfection!'

9. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:19 Dev

8. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:12 Cutter

Dewps.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 11, 2012, 20:04 Fletch

LOL! I am also glad I didn't buy it. Never gonna support this type of DRM, not to mention the funneling of players to a RMAH, which is not far removed from F2P.  

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo