Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator

An article on Blend Games contains a video they say demonstrates that item duping was possible in Diablo III before a hotfix addressed this. All the clip demonstrated for me is my inability to understand foreign languages, but this post explains how this took advantage of the game's checkpoint system to craft items at the cost of no resources, hopefully a moot point now that its fixed. They use this incident to once again question the game's inconvenient always-on DRM. They also discuss how Blizzard is handling account rollbacks in cases where accounts are compromised, taking issue with Battle.net account security as the launch of the real-money auction house for the action/RPG sequel nears. Speaking of which, this post (thanks nin via Kotaku) notes that Blizzard has changed the terms of service for Diablo III to require the use of their authenticator for real-money transactions:

Starting today, in order to add to your Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account. For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.

While we understand that this creates an extra step for players during the login process, we believe this added layer of account protection will help foster a safer auction house environment for all of our players.

You can learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator, Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, and other account security information by clicking here.

View
132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

92. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 19:14 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:54:

At the moment the authenticator only shows up once a week or if you log in from a new IP address.

You can change that in your bnet account options. I have it set to ask me every time I login.

Using an authenticator with any other option would be kinda pointless, to be honest.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 18:28 Cutter

Good to see the always on DRM is working out so well. Pfft.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

90. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 18:26 Prez

ASeven wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 18:01:
Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:14:
You are all a bunch of trolls.

Except for Blue, who is a baiter of trolls. He is no amatuer baiter, though. Oh no, not at all. He is a professional baiter. He is a master baiter.

I see what u did there!

Sometimes it can be lonely being a comic genius.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

89. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 18:01 ASeven

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:14:
You are all a bunch of trolls.

Except for Blue, who is a baiter of trolls. He is no amatuer baiter, though. Oh no, not at all. He is a professional baiter. He is a master baiter.

I see what u did there!

88. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:51 AngelicPenguin

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:46:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 15:14:
So serious - it's just a little hack 'n slash game.
Which makes putting up with the mountains of bullshit all the more ridiculous.

The only issue I've had in my 100 hours+ was not being able to log in on launch day for a few hours. I just play and enjoy the game and sometimes at work read some comments on news sites for amusement (or in Verno's case, some useful information.)

It's a popular game, and I know it's fun to dump on - carry on!

87. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:49 Mashiki Amiketo

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:05:
]

Hold up there smokey. This "official" company line on production woes and availability is complete and utter BS.

Activision / Blizzard is big enough of a company that they can invest in Vasco's operation if they really needed and help make these wonderful devices that Blizzard is slowly realizing is a necessity on their service.

BUT THERE JUST ARENT ENOUGH FACTORIES IN THE WORLD TO MAKE THESE!! AND THINK OF THE COST TO ACTIVISION WHEN SO MANY WOW PLAYERS ALREADY HAVE ONE. Please. This argument stinks of shite.
So, Vasco doesn't have enough production capacity but it's Blizzards fault? No wait it's Vasco's fault? Never mind, let's get to it. I'm guessing you don't have much of a clue of how this business works. Batches are made, they also have to be placed on customer priority, and those batches also have to be designated for each customer. And of course each batch uses it's own unique key. Let's not to forget that it's an encryption device as such falls under import/export restriction controls. Meaning that only particular companies can make them, and in particular numbers of batches too.

I'm glad you don't have an idea of how this entire thing works. "Throwing money at it" does not work in this case.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

86. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:47 RollinThundr

Axis wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:28:
GuildWars 2 suffers the same as Diablo 3 -- Using the name and forgetting about what made the originals great. Gameplay and direction is all that matters here.

GW2 is a hollow shell of a game in almost every aspect of it's predecessor.

GW1 was about questing for skills to build your character in almost any way you could imagine. GW2 is not. Like D3, it's all about wooing the WoW based crowd for initial sales.

No, I don't want GW1 in a GW2 box. I want what they did in GW1 to be improved upon in GW2, right? and unfortunately it's not just a step backwards, it's a complete sham - I for one am not fooled.

Different strokes and all that I guess, I was initially not going to bother with GW2 because GW1 for me just wasn't fun, at all.

GW2 on the other hand, with different weapons having totally different skills to unlock, and being able to build your character via the trait system and skill point unlocks isn't tedious like GW1 was. It's actually, you know, fun.

85. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:44 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:36:
RollinThundr wrote:
To be fair, Blizzard could build in things like IP checks and having their system recognize upper and lower case letters right into the log on authentication to begin with. It's not like their security with out an authenticator is that robust to begin with.

I talked about this a few weeks ago, no reason they couldn't do two stage authentication on IP changes like Steam does. They don't even need the actual authenticators to do it either, they could use SMS or Email.

Krovven wrote:
You guys are so readily willing to attack every dev/pub out their for their behaviour. When it comes to your precious Blue, you aren't willing to call bullshit when it's right in front of you? Why am I not shocked.

Just leave then. This place is oh so bad that you do nothing but bitch about it and can't get along with anyone so obviously you would be better off elsewhere. We'll try to struggle on without your contributions.

Sure Dades, but that would require effort on Blizzard's end. God forbid!

As for Krowen ohh boo hoo not everyone puts Blizzard up on a pedestal like you do, too fucking bad. Get over it cupcake.

84. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:36 Dades

RollinThundr wrote:
To be fair, Blizzard could build in things like IP checks and having their system recognize upper and lower case letters right into the log on authentication to begin with. It's not like their security with out an authenticator is that robust to begin with.

I talked about this a few weeks ago, no reason they couldn't do two stage authentication on IP changes like Steam does. They don't even need the actual authenticators to do it either, they could use SMS or Email.

Krovven wrote:
You guys are so readily willing to attack every dev/pub out their for their behaviour. When it comes to your precious Blue, you aren't willing to call bullshit when it's right in front of you? Why am I not shocked.

Just leave then. This place is oh so bad that you do nothing but bitch about it and can't get along with anyone so obviously you would be better off elsewhere. We'll try to struggle on without your contributions.

83. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:28 Axis

GuildWars 2 suffers the same as Diablo 3 -- Using the name and forgetting about what made the originals great. Gameplay and direction is all that matters here.

GW2 is a hollow shell of a game in almost every aspect of it's predecessor.

GW1 was about questing for skills to build your character in almost any way you could imagine. GW2 is not. Like D3, it's all about wooing the WoW based crowd for initial sales.

No, I don't want GW1 in a GW2 box. I want what they did in GW1 to be improved upon in GW2, right? and unfortunately it's not just a step backwards, it's a complete sham - I for one am not fooled.

Yours truly,

Axis

82. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:21 RollinThundr

Alamar wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:13:
If they are not willing to invest in the security of the customers that pay their salaries, and provide and ensure the appropriate security measures are available to *ALL* customers, then maybe all of their customers should turn to a major publisher who does invest in the bottom-line security of their customers, out of the box.

Excuse my ignorance, but could you show me a few companies that spend their money for my bad security and inability to not have my account hacked, again, at my fault?

-Alamar

81. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:14 Wallshadows

Either that or stop using the same email/password for every site they log in to which is how most players likely get their accounts compromised.

/shrug

80. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:13 Alamar

If they are not willing to invest in the security of the customers that pay their salaries, and provide and ensure the appropriate security measures are available to *ALL* customers, then maybe all of their customers should turn to a major publisher who does invest in the bottom-line security of their customers, out of the box.

Excuse my ignorance, but could you show me a few companies that spend their money for my bad security and inability to not have my account hacked, again, at my fault?

-Alamar

79. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:05 Mordecai Walfish

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 15:59:
Blizzard isn't Vasco's only customer and they're only allowed a specific number of FOB's in a batch that's why. They(Vasco) have to have enough to cover banks, government, cellphone providers(yes you can get a external fob for your phone), other games that use them, and so on.

It's pure supply and demand. Blizzard simply isn't allowed to "hog the entire supply."

Hold up there smokey. This "official" company line on production woes and availability is complete and utter BS.

Activision / Blizzard is big enough of a company that they can invest in Vasco's operation if they really needed and help make these wonderful devices that Blizzard is slowly realizing is a necessity on their service.

BUT THERE JUST ARENT ENOUGH FACTORIES IN THE WORLD TO MAKE THESE!! AND THINK OF THE COST TO ACTIVISION WHEN SO MANY WOW PLAYERS ALREADY HAVE ONE. Please. This argument stinks of shite.

78. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:54 nin

At the moment the authenticator only shows up once a week or if you log in from a new IP address.

You can change that in your bnet account options. I have it set to ask me every time I login.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

77. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:49 xXBatmanXx

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:46:

meh. Just a game. Biggest griefers and cry babies in the world play WoW - why would D3 be any different? Having played a ton of D2, some of the same crowds were in there as well.

I am still having a blast, have other games to play and a real life, but at 80 hours over 6 characters, I beat Diablo 2x, and about halfway through Nightmare with those 2 toons.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

76. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:49 Mordecai Walfish

Funny that before, Blizzard had a policy where if your account was compromised, then and only then were you required to get an authenticator to use the Auction House.

Now everyone's getting hacked and Blizzard apparently has no idea how it's happening and is suddenly requiring an authenticator for all who wish to use the auction house.

All of this BS and strife over what has turned out to be a very mediocre game is likely costing them quite dearly right now.. the word of mouth has been pretty bad lately too it seems everyone and their mother knows how much of a cess-pit of hackers and commie gold peddlers Blizzard's service Battle.net is.

75. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:46 everyone

74. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:41 RollinThundr

ASeven wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 15:52:
Well, the good news out of this mess is that T2 will have an even larger userbase. It's as if D2 ex-devs that are working on T2 knew this would happen. As more people get bored of D3, and it's quite a lot, and many more leave due to hacking, botting and bugs, this will ensure the MP part of T2 will be quite well populated and that T2 will sell just a little bit more.

Seeing how Blizz is treating D3 I think T2 truly deserves all the success it can get. Still, sad that so many people bought D3, entitling the publishers to pull more always-online DRM. All for a game they got bored of pretty quickly. Sad.

It was the opposite for me, Arena.net gained a new customer, based on this weekend's GW2 beta. I owe Cutter an apology for giving him shit over his excitement for it actually. The game is polished, runs excellent maxed out, looks gorgeous visually, fun with friends, and the world is huge.

Thanks to blizzard going the "we must make post release money at all cost route" Diablo 3 is really just an exercise in frustration from Hell Act2 on. No thanks Blizzard, you can keep your always on RMAH along with all the bots, chat gold seller spam, and bots and hacks.

73. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 16:38 Wallshadows

I hate to nitpick like a bastard but this is how it broke down to me when I bought one back in 2008.

Item Subtotal:
$6.50 USD

Sales Tax:
$0.00 USD

Shipping & Handling:
$10.56 USD

Total:
$17.06 USD

132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer