Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator

An article on Blend Games contains a video they say demonstrates that item duping was possible in Diablo III before a hotfix addressed this. All the clip demonstrated for me is my inability to understand foreign languages, but this post explains how this took advantage of the game's checkpoint system to craft items at the cost of no resources, hopefully a moot point now that its fixed. They use this incident to once again question the game's inconvenient always-on DRM. They also discuss how Blizzard is handling account rollbacks in cases where accounts are compromised, taking issue with Battle.net account security as the launch of the real-money auction house for the action/RPG sequel nears. Speaking of which, this post (thanks nin via Kotaku) notes that Blizzard has changed the terms of service for Diablo III to require the use of their authenticator for real-money transactions:

Starting today, in order to add to your Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account. For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.

While we understand that this creates an extra step for players during the login process, we believe this added layer of account protection will help foster a safer auction house environment for all of our players.

You can learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator, Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, and other account security information by clicking here.

View
132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

52. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 15:02 HoSpanky

I suppose if I played d3 single player I'd be more annoyed, but since I bought the game to play with my friends, the logon requirement doesn't seem out of place.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:59 RailWizard

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:40:
Smellfinger wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:37:
If Blizzard wants to add a dongle requirement to Diablo 3, they should include it in the box like every other product that uses this form of authentication.
Yeah except the fob isn't a dongle. Different hardware, and plenty of people who've been playing WoW already have one. Why have two? At that, they sell them at cost. And you pay shipping so, what's the problem again?

As you say, they are cheap. Why not ship them with all their games? So people end up with more than one, they DO run on batteries, so it will not go to waste anyway.

It's not like Blizzard is sitting in the poor house saving up for boxes of Kraft-Dinner and Kool-aid in order to sustain themselves..............

50. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:58 Creston

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:34:
The player who lost his HC character in the first video is in a situation where his concerns are falling on deaf ears

I don't really have an opinion about it one way or another, but doesn't HC mode tell you specifically that if you die for whatever reason, you're fucked and your character is gone, and they can not and will not do anything to try to assist you?

So if you then go and play a HC character, knowing that all these issues are in the game, and the potential for you getting fucked in the ass by these issues exists at any and all times, isn't it really you rolling the dice, so to speak?

It's not as if people aren't aware that weird shit is happening in the game? If you choose to play HC despite these issues, why are you complaining when you lose your character?

Edit : To be fair to the guy this happened to, he's not demanding his character gets restored or anything, he's just posting it as a warning to others that playing hardcore means you'll get fucked in the ass. I hadn't read the actual thread that was linked yet before I replied.

Creston

49. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:57 Luke

ASeven wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 12:06:
But...but... being always online meant no item duping and bots!!!!11!!!

Yeah, in the end the excuses they made to put this game online always ended up happening anyway.

In another topic, master fanboi Krovven once again shows why he's quite the idiot.

Hmm i wonder who is the idiot , those who play this money train , or those who may see what they are doing.
Next up fingerprint gadget to identify that the Authenticator is yours.
You fanbois keep eating every bit THEY come with
thats one hell of a price to play a singelplayer game , and the more you fanbois (fanboys) keep saying "Okaaay " the more will come and other compagnies will dupe it and...ahh forget it blizz my ass they laugh even harder now at you fanibois Wall2

48. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Smellfinger wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:37:
If Blizzard wants to add a dongle requirement to Diablo 3, they should include it in the box like every other product that uses this form of authentication.
Yeah except the fob isn't a dongle. Different hardware, and plenty of people who've been playing WoW already have one. Why have two? At that, they sell them at cost. And you pay shipping so, what's the problem again?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

47. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:37 Smellfinger

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:27:
Sticking to the original story here for a second, requiring an authenticator for RMAH/bnet account should have been in from the start.

46. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:36 Verno

Smellfinger wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:28:
Blizzard will end up nerfing it until every mouth breather with calloused knuckles can finish it by holding the mouse button down with their drool-covered chin.

Maybe they will but right now it does need some nerfing. Beating Inferno took me many game remakes and we glitch skipped most of Act 2 due to how absurd it is. Some elite combo affixes are literally unbeatable, it's obvious (and Blizzard even admitted) that they did little to no play testing on everything past Act 1.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

45. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:34 Wallshadows

Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:40:
Holy shit Wallshadows, I just saw those videos you linked earlier and wow. I can only imagine how pissed those people were, it's one thing to die in Hardcore to a shitty situation and quite another to die to a known bug.

Indeed. I've run in to my share of weird problems which have killed me without any warning so I wouldn't even dare step foot in Hardcore until these issues are addressed.

The worst part about this is that Blizzard seem to be burying their head in the sand when these are brought up. The player who lost his HC character in the first video is in a situation where his concerns are falling on deaf ears and that more people need to complain about it in order for it to be addressed or something along those lines.

Ah, found the thread.

44. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:29 Pigeon

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:30:
They put way too much emphasis on the AH, and now the problems associated with such a system are starting to effect the game.

You would think with a good working AH system in one of their other games they would have gotten this one right. In WoW most of the best gear is obtained through running the end game content. The AH is good for getting geared just enough to run the end game content, but it isn't anywhere near necessary.

Also I have to say really not enjoying the gameplay in the harder difficulties. As a ranged having to kite most of the rare/elite mobs isn't a challenge its boring. I was hoping with the flexibility of the skill system you could change up your skills to deal with different kinds of elite/rares, but nope, kite kite kite

As opposed to standing there and hitting your abilities? How is that any less boring (for you)? I'm in Act 3 Hell as a Wizard and having no problems save an initial death against multi blue/yellow fights. Kiting and getting the timing down is quite fun (still) for me. I guess Inferno will change all of that, though. But for now, Hell is fun, just go all-dps

The opposite of wanting a challenge =/= standing still smashing buttons.

43. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:28 Smellfinger

Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:55:
The public is literally beta testing Inferno. Most of the people who have finished Inferno were only able to do so because they farmed resplendent chests in now hotfixed areas. It is extremely difficult to do so legitimately, bordering on absurdity at times in Act 2/3.

Blizzard will end up nerfing it until every mouth breather with calloused knuckles can finish it by holding the mouse button down with their drool-covered chin.

42. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:27 HoSpanky

Sticking to the original story here for a second, requiring an authenticator for RMAH/bnet account should have been in from the start. If typing in 8 digits extra is really that big of a pain in the ass to you, please let me have your life. Because it's obviously full of puppies and sunshine and no responsibility.

"you mean I have to actually apply pressure to open this can of delicious soda? Fuck all that!"

That said, if every game maker starts using authenticators, it could get pretty crazy. They're easy enough to keep track of on a smartphone, but if you had a huge keyring with over a dozen of those little fobs on it...yeesh.

41. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:24 Smellfinger

Yes, lets argue about the intention of a sentence rather than having a discussion about the authenticator requirement and how Blizzard can change the EULA whenever it benefits them.  

40. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:16 MrBone

Anyone that uses real money in this game or any game is a fool. And you know what happens to fools.  

39. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:13 Verno

That is, of course, if you're not one of these people that plays the game and complains about it at the same time because it's not the game you wanted it to be.

I don't know, I don't think getting a refund when I played the game this much is very fair. I think I'd prefer to keep my money and hope that the state of the product improves. There's no question to me it was worth the $60 I dropped on it but it has a lot of problems that need to be fixed. I'm really unimpressed with how they handled Inferno and the loot system in this game but there is a good game under the problems.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2012, 14:20.

38. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:08 Kastagir

Normally, when a company that provides a service to you (that you pay for) changes their terms of service after the point of purchase, you have the option to pursue a refund. For cellular phone contracts, you could conceivably get out of a 2-year contract if the terms of service are changed on you. I presume, if the 30-day window hasn't closed, you could get a refund from Blizzard and get off this sinking ship.

That is, of course, if you're not one of these people that plays the game and complains about it at the same time because it's not the game you wanted it to be.

37. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:08 Acleacius

I agree with Krovven the drm is stupid, but that doesn't mean acti/blizz is inherently evil.

No game has ever been patched before, so we have acti/blizz to thank for giving the game industry Patching.

I can't believe all you guys, thought they were just a bunch of Capitalist Pig-Dogs. Their stock is taking a HUGE loss right now and it's not like are lashing out at the 10s of thousands of gamers rated their game 4 out of 10. These aren't you typical greased up kneeling, buns in the air fanboys. Like Krovven, said..keep it real man!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

36. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 14:03 Verno

Since people are going to ignore this post I'll repeat it;

This was not item duping. This was a very elaborate exploit of the save/waypoint and crafting system requiring very specific variables, and it no longer works.

Sure but it's very similar and the principles are the same - creating something for nothing. In a way its almost worse than duping in Diablo 3. You could keep rerolling crafted items for a perfect roll which can sell for millions. At least with duping you need to have something worthwhile first (not at all a given with the banal drop system in this game).

To be honest though, I care more about the botting than I do item duping. Items will be worth something regardless (D2 proved that despite rampant duping) but the value of gold itself keeps dropping.

35. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 13:57 eunichron

MattyC wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:00:
To be fair this isn't really duping. They just used that word to grab views. It is an exploit, but to the crafting and checkpoint system, hardly a dupe.

Since people are going to ignore this post I'll repeat it;

This was not item duping. This was a very elaborate exploit of the save/waypoint and crafting system requiring very specific variables, and it no longer works.

34. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 13:55 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:50:
It was tacked on to a proper story as troll bait.

Uh, it's not troll bait. Troll bait would be if he posted a speculation story about an event that never occurred as factual which he did not do. This happened and we can mince meaning all day but people were essentially creating items for free which is extremely similar to duping, hence some misunderstanding it. It doesn't really matter if it was fixed or not, even if it was fixed it should still be reported on.

I think the real problem is that you are extremely anal retentive and over defensive about Blizzard products, judging by the response in the comments here from many posters it seems that you're well known for this behavior.

I'm still surprised the balance for Inferno is so bad considering the length of time it was in development for

The public is literally beta testing Inferno. Most of the people who have finished Inferno were only able to do so because they farmed resplendent chests in now hotfixed areas. It is extremely difficult to do so legitimately, bordering on absurdity at times in Act 2/3.

33. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 13:54 Fibrocyte

Blue's wording is certainly crafted to inflame the audience.  

132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo