Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator

An article on Blend Games contains a video they say demonstrates that item duping was possible in Diablo III before a hotfix addressed this. All the clip demonstrated for me is my inability to understand foreign languages, but this post explains how this took advantage of the game's checkpoint system to craft items at the cost of no resources, hopefully a moot point now that its fixed. They use this incident to once again question the game's inconvenient always-on DRM. They also discuss how Blizzard is handling account rollbacks in cases where accounts are compromised, taking issue with Battle.net account security as the launch of the real-money auction house for the action/RPG sequel nears. Speaking of which, this post (thanks nin via Kotaku) notes that Blizzard has changed the terms of service for Diablo III to require the use of their authenticator for real-money transactions:

Starting today, in order to add to your Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account. For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.

While we understand that this creates an extra step for players during the login process, we believe this added layer of account protection will help foster a safer auction house environment for all of our players.

You can learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator, Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, and other account security information by clicking here.

View
132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

112. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 10:50 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 03:13:
You don't play much (or you don't play at varied times) if launch day is the the only time you've had issues. Also, I'm guessing you and none of your friends play hardcore, there was that massive blizzard caused lag spike the other day that basically perma killed everyone playing hardcore at the time.

Not only that, they've had issues with the game being down for maintenance for nearly a whole day, and thats after launch. That prevents me from playing "single player" which isn't fun. Today they just announced a 3 hour down time for the game. If its anything like past announcements it will end up being 5 or 8 hours.

Also, the commodities part of AH was down for a couple weeks, which hinders things like getting good gems for socketed gear. I've seen other issues too (and not on launch day), and I don't have nearly as much time in the game as some people. The full game functionality hasn't been enabled (and I won't count the RMAH since they announced before game's release it wouldn't be enabled for a while) for probably 50% of the game's life. A 50% full functionality uptime is pretty horrible.

I play a lot actually (monk and wizard in inferno, and demon hunter in hell.) I have not used the AH, though, as I don't see how it could possibly be balanced this early in the game and it seemed like massive twinking. The game isn't THAT hard until inferno anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

111. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AngelicPenguin

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:42:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:31:
You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues.

You sound like Baghdad Bob or Officer Barbrady saying this stuff on posts talking about issues.

Many of the people who post here have the game, and just about all of us know many friends who do as well. My friends have been hacked, have dealt with lag, and have experienced the poor inferno balancing. It's hard to believe that nobody in your circle of gaming friends have had "any issues".

Which "posts"? I responded directly to someone who responded to my post. He complained in vague terms and I responded everything is ok here and asked for more specifics.

I don't know who those people (Bob or Barbrady, although I assume it's something derogatory) are, but I am genuinely speaking from experience. I have multiple characters in inferno, have never used the AH, and have a group of friends who play a lot. The only "issue" we've had is when the game is down for maintenance other than launch day. But I bought an online game, so I was expecting the servers to be taken down periodically.

I do get that liking this game is an unpopular stance, so I should probably just keep quiet.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2012, 11:07.

110. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 08:30 Verno

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 05:55:
I'm still marveling at the concept that you have to have bought DIablo 3 in order to voice disappointment over the dog's breakfast Blizzard made of it. So after waiting over a decade for a sequel to one of the most addictive games you ever played by what used to be one of best (if not THE best) companies in gaming and then realizing what they are releasing is one huge regression from the previous game and is nothing like you were wishing for all that time a person is not allowed to voice an opinion? Who makes these rules exactly?

Informed criticism is usually derived from experience. Just an example maybe you can speak in broadstrokes about the games online underpinnings but that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the games problems. No one said people aren't allowed an opinion of course but that opinion will be infinitely more informed from actual firsthand experience.

On the flipside, I notice a lot of passive aggressive defense of favored products on the internet from people who dismiss others concerns as "people who never bought it" or lumping them all together as "haters".

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

109. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 07:21 Dev

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 05:55:
I'm still marveling at the concept that you have to have bought DIablo 3 in order to voice disappointment over the dog's breakfast Blizzard made of it. So after waiting over a decade for a sequel to one of the most addictive games you ever played by what used to be one of best (if not THE best) companies in gaming and then realizing what they are releasing is one huge regression from the previous game and is nothing like you were wishing for all that time a person is not allowed to voice an opinion? Who makes these rules exactly?
Same thing as in real life (especially politics). Anytime anyone wants to offer an opinion, one of the first objections is "but you haven't gone through it so stfu."

Having or not having gone through something should not make any statement about the experience automatically right or wrong. In an ideal world, every argument/statement would be judged on its merits, regardless of who makes it and why.

So, about diablo 3:
I bought d3, and its a disappointing crapload. I've talked in detail in a number of d3 threads about it. Here's some more. Blizzard rushed it out without focusing on security, when that should have been the FIRST priority (both before release, and after especially the first weeks) since its going to be dealing with real money transactions. It was like they assumed that always online would automatically make the game unexploitable with little more than that. Its looking like they didn't bother with anything like the warden protection so far, and they basically announced they haven't started any bans yet. Oh and the game lacks features found in diablo 2, or in competitors products in the many years since d2. They apparently ignored much of the beta feedback, both about actual bugs and gameplay. And the UI isn't very polished. For instance, when I hover over gems in the auction house it should tell me WTF they do and their exact stats. And none of this even mentions the server stability. I feel sorry for those playing hardcore, whose every second is a gamble in which the blizzard servers could decide to suddenly choke and kill all connected hardcore characters.

108. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 05:55 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

107. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 04:08 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:42:
You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues.

You sound like Baghdad Bob or Officer Barbrady saying this stuff on posts talking about issues.

Many of the people who post here have the game, and just about all of us know many friends who do as well. My friends have been hacked, have dealt with lag, and have experienced the poor inferno balancing. It's hard to believe that nobody in your circle of gaming friends have had "any issues".

Sounds more like Krowen has an alt to be honest.

106. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 03:13 Dev

Other than launch day, I don't know what sort of inconveniences you are talking about. I come home, click play game, and kill stuff for a while.

You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues. Maybe some specifics would help, I dunno.
You don't play much (or you don't play at varied times) if launch day is the the only time you've had issues. Also, I'm guessing you and none of your friends play hardcore, there was that massive blizzard caused lag spike the other day that basically perma killed everyone playing hardcore at the time.

Not only that, they've had issues with the game being down for maintenance for nearly a whole day, and thats after launch. That prevents me from playing "single player" which isn't fun. Today they just announced a 3 hour down time for the game. If its anything like past announcements it will end up being 5 or 8 hours.

Also, the commodities part of AH was down for a couple weeks, which hinders things like getting good gems for socketed gear. I've seen other issues too (and not on launch day), and I don't have nearly as much time in the game as some people. The full game functionality hasn't been enabled (and I won't count the RMAH since they announced before game's release it wouldn't be enabled for a while) for probably 50% of the game's life. A 50% full functionality uptime is pretty horrible.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2012, 05:39.

105. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 00:42 Sepharo

104. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 00:31 AngelicPenguin

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 19:24:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:51:
It's a popular game, and I know it's fun to dump on - carry on!
Who's dumping on it? It just seems to me like a lot of inconvenience for "just a little hack and slash game", when there are ways to both hack and slash without it. And I get that it's been fine for you*, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have had to sift through a lot of crap to get to the game underneath. Enjoyable though it may be.

Oh and just fyi, my opinion of the game has nothing to do with impressing any kids, cool or otherwise. In fact, if I were caught hanging out with the cool kids, I'd likely end up on the sex offenders register, large bearded adult that I am. So if you can leave out the tired cliches next time, that'd be grand.

*using your personal definition of the word "issue".

I wasn't referring to you specifically - I simply meant it is obviously an easy target because it generates a lot of interest, so it appears people like to pile on and make fun. I'm not sure what cliche that is, but ok, I won't use that one anymore.

And the fun little hack 'n slash was really my point. Other than launch day, I don't know what sort of inconveniences you are talking about. I come home, click play game, and kill stuff for a while.

You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues. Maybe some specifics would help, I dunno.

103. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 22:12 Luke

Smellfinger wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:40:
Yeah except the fob isn't a dongle. Different hardware

The end result is the same if RMHA is one of the reasons you purchased the game. Unless you have it, you're walled off from a major feature.

and plenty of people who've been playing WoW already have one. Why have two?

Classic logical fallacy.

At that, they sell them at cost. And you pay shipping so, what's the problem again?

The problem is that it wasn't a requirement until after the game was released and millions of people bought the game with the assumption that RMAH would be a baseline feature.

The problem is that it wasn't a requirement until after the game was released and millions of people bought the game with the assumption that RMAH would be a baseline feature.

And you are right there tho the fanbois don't see it , you buy a game with all the features in , then suddenly you have to give more money to them to user some of the features , this is just so Dunce guess the fanbois are looking forward for the next collection edition from them gonna weight 10kg or more with all that jazz they have to put in the box , and a price near the 400$, instead of killing those scammers money sellers (tho i belive they are the scammers and gold sellers them self ) other compagnies will sniff blizz way in buttfisting the costumers and do the same , but again the fanbois don't care. Clown 's

102. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 21:12 Muscular Beaver

Dev wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:06:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 20:31:
Just a few mins ago I tried to kill an elite pack with some friends and 2 of these rotating laser things popped beside me, I run away from them and *zing* rubberbanding back into them for no reason and I die.
I could tell you dozens and dozens of similar things...
The rubber banding is because something hits you on the server end, and there's lag somewhere, so you think you escaped by running, but the server doesn't think so, so you pop back where says you got hit.

Note that I'm not defending it, just explaining it. Also, lag is NOT always from the ISP or home user's end. There was a link in one of these threads to a blizzard thread about a massive multi second lag spike on blizzards servers that caused most hardcore players playing the game at the time to die. There were 20 pages in that thread, almost all of them hardcore players mentioning how they were killed by blizzards lag spike. So even if you personally have the biggest pipe in the world, and your ISP is the best in the world, and you have the most reliable internet connection in the world with 100% uptime and guaranteed no lag, it won't make a crapload of difference if blizzard's servers choke on something or their net connection craps itself.

I dont think rubberbanding has something to do with lag at all. I noticed I could repeat getting rubberbanded like 10 times in a row, by simply going the same path over and over again. As soon as I took a slightly different way (just a few pixels), it worked.
There is something wrong with the netcode.

Anyway, most deaths are due to these weird deaths out of nowhere or mobs with invisible 20 foot long arms.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

101. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 21:07 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 20:47:
It can get really extreme. Sometimes you just die without ANY reason. And then I found out that sometimes mobs teleport right onto you, kill you and teleport away again. The game is so slow, it wont show it - and thats not the reason of the computer being too slow.
I guess its a combination of these weird stutters you get at the start of a game and the shitty netcode.

And all the crap seen in the videos are quite "normal". I would never start a hardcore char with this. I died so many times because of these weird lags/netcode problems, I already get mad enough on my normal char. Just a few mins ago I tried to kill an elite pack with some friends and 2 of these rotating laser things popped beside me, I run away from them and *zing* rubberbanding back into them for no reason and I die.

Yeah the whole dying all the time in Inferno thing has nearly surpassed the persistent online connection as my #1 reason for not getting the game. I was visiting a friend near Toronto this weekend and was telling him how I was watching a different friend die 10 times in 10 minutes. He laughed and explained that he didn't know what he was doing, didn't have the right gear, etc... Then I watched him die over and over just like the other friend, to bullshit like you've described lasers just suddenly poking through walls, running over a fire trap but not actually making it because of lag... etc. Looked like tons of fun.

10 times in 10 mins is actually quite good.
I can run act 1 now with just a few death. But act 2 is still up to 5 deaths a minute.

- Mojo Jojo

100. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 21:06 Dev

Just a few mins ago I tried to kill an elite pack with some friends and 2 of these rotating laser things popped beside me, I run away from them and *zing* rubberbanding back into them for no reason and I die.
The rubber banding is because something hits you on the server end, and there's lag somewhere, so you think you escaped by running, but the server doesn't think so, so you pop back where says you got hit.

Note that I'm not defending it, just explaining it. Also, lag is NOT always from the ISP or home user's end. There was a link in one of these threads to a blizzard thread about a massive multi second lag spike on blizzards servers that caused most hardcore players playing the game at the time to die. There were 20 pages in that thread, almost all of them hardcore players mentioning how they were killed by blizzards lag spike. So even if you personally have the biggest pipe in the world, and your ISP is the best in the world, and you have the most reliable internet connection in the world with 100% uptime and guaranteed no lag, it won't make a crapload of difference if blizzard's servers choke on something or their net connection craps itself.

99. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 20:47 Sepharo

It can get really extreme. Sometimes you just die without ANY reason. And then I found out that sometimes mobs teleport right onto you, kill you and teleport away again. The game is so slow, it wont show it - and thats not the reason of the computer being too slow.
I guess its a combination of these weird stutters you get at the start of a game and the shitty netcode.

And all the crap seen in the videos are quite "normal". I would never start a hardcore char with this. I died so many times because of these weird lags/netcode problems, I already get mad enough on my normal char. Just a few mins ago I tried to kill an elite pack with some friends and 2 of these rotating laser things popped beside me, I run away from them and *zing* rubberbanding back into them for no reason and I die.

Yeah the whole dying all the time in Inferno thing has nearly surpassed the persistent online connection as my #1 reason for not getting the game. I was visiting a friend near Toronto this weekend and was telling him how I was watching a different friend die 10 times in 10 minutes. He laughed and explained that he didn't know what he was doing, didn't have the right gear, etc... Then I watched him die over and over just like the other friend, to bullshit like you've described lasers just suddenly poking through walls, running over a fire trap but not actually making it because of lag... etc. Looked like tons of fun.

98. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 20:31 Muscular Beaver

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:34:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 13:40:
Holy shit Wallshadows, I just saw those videos you linked earlier and wow. I can only imagine how pissed those people were, it's one thing to die in Hardcore to a shitty situation and quite another to die to a known bug.

Indeed. I've run in to my share of weird problems which have killed me without any warning so I wouldn't even dare step foot in Hardcore until these issues are addressed.

The worst part about this is that Blizzard seem to be burying their head in the sand when these are brought up. The player who lost his HC character in the first video is in a situation where his concerns are falling on deaf ears and that more people need to complain about it in order for it to be addressed or something along those lines.

Ah, found the thread.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2012, 20:37.

- Mojo Jojo

97. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 20:13 Julio

I'm not crazy or stupid enough to tie any real life payment to battle.net for the RMAH.

Blizzard security is terrible.

96. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 20:01 CJ_Parker

AngelicPenguin sounds like he's one of those holier than thou Linux assholes so just ignore'im

95. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 19:35 RollinThundr

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 19:24:
Who's dumping on it? It just seems to me like a lot of inconvenience for "just a little hack and slash game", when there are ways to both hack and slash without it. And I get that it's been fine for you*, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have had to sift through a lot of crap to get to the game underneath. Enjoyable though it may be.

Oh and just fyi, my opinion of the game has nothing to do with impressing any kids, cool or otherwise. In fact, if I were caught hanging out with the cool kids, I'd likely end up on the sex offenders register, large bearded adult that I am. So if you can leave out the tired cliches next time, that'd be grand.

Get in the van little girl, everyone has candy. Cuddle

94. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 19:24 everyone

93. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 19:14 ShakaUVM

Yeah, basically. It's unclear why so many accounts are being compromised (no, people aren't in general giving their passwords away to people), and so Blizzard is wetting their pants over the problem. Losing some virtual items to hackers is one thing. Giving them your credit card via the real money AH is another entirely.

Requiring an authenticator is a way to protect them from real money fraud happening, so that they can keep their cash cow running.

I'm not going to get one, though. I'd much rather prefer to find out that my computer has been compromised than to not know.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:49:
Now everyone's getting hacked and Blizzard apparently has no idea how it's happening and is suddenly requiring an authenticator for all who wish to use the auction house.

132 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo