Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Safety Dance

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 10, 2012, 23:05 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 22:32:
How would you do that for an oil refinery?
One-way interconnects via a hardened server if need be.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 10, 2012, 22:32 eRe4s3r

How would you do that for an oil refinery? There'd be a half a million points where you need connections to the control room and data from other locations that are beyond your reach of intranet. Sure this could be secured properly but you forget that companies are greedy to the extreme. Anything that costs money without an obvious ROI is never done. Especially when it comes to cybersecurity. Where ost managers and CEO's don't even know what that means.  

1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 10, 2012, 17:04 Mashiki Amiketo

I'll be perfectly honest. Why the hell would you hook your PLC's in production to anything that can be accessed by the outside. No...really. Every PLC program I've ever written, or setup, or had connected to a network was setup so it was in a secure mode state, or in an offline state. If we really needed to update something we'd bring the entire line down and do maintenance at the same time.

Oh and passwords...well passwords are good, but remember they're also only as good as the sites salted-hash tables. Or lack thereof. I'm looking at you Sony and your plain text.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo