Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hotfixes and More

The Diablo III Website outlines some new hotfixes applied to Diablo III. These once again carry a warning that these note may contain spoilers for anyone who has not completed the action/RPG, but this is a generic warning that doesn't really apply in this case. Gold drops form ash post and vases have been nerfed, leading to complaints that this prevents players from being able to farm them as before for the gold required to buy the items from the auction house required to play the game at the hardest levels, which seems illustrative of some balance issues yet to be worked out. Also, the I am (we are) Diablo III thread on Reddit is live where game designers Wyatt Cheng, Andrew Chambers, and Jay Wilson all discuss the present and future of the game.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 11, 2012, 09:06 Verno

Got bored of this already, game has little depth or longevity. Loot is boring even at the Inferno levels, I think that's my biggest complaint. They completely lost sight of what made people return to Diablo over and over again. My DH has beaten Inferno with a complete set of gear so I went back and made a Monk to see how the melee side of things is. As before, it's very poorly balanced with Normal and Nightmare practically being the same difficulty and Hell not being much of an increment while Inferno literally is like trying to climb K2 in the winter after Act 1.

Some elite pack modifiers are literally unbeatable with the best gear which shows how little time went into actually playtesting this stuff, I feel like I should get a little rebate for beta testing Inferno for them. Anyway I got into Act 3 Inferno on the Monk and decided to call it quits, the game really needs more work and more importantly they need to put some thought into making it enjoyable again instead of taking the nerf bat to both drop rates and farming. It's funny they can hotfix so many things related to loot/farming except you know, making it decent again. Oh well, hopefully 1.0.3 changes things drastically.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 23:31 Dades

Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 21:56:
Maybe if you tried not being so invested in a position and actually thought about it. Did you stop to think that" items can easily be traded among accounts? I'm sure there will be items that are valuable, and the bots can look for those and funnel them all to a few accounts that deal with a 3rd party with a US address.

I said that already in my initial post, thanks for finally coming around. Of course some will use a third party, likely to get around protection but they will influence the RMAH. They already do this with gold even, many are actually run by US companies which get asians to do the "labor". The RMAH launches next week and Blizzard is powerless to stop people from abusing the gold auction house thus far, let alone the RMAH where the incentive will be much higher for those who want to exploit it. Country boundaries are meaningless in this regard, they won't be limited or content to just sell gold when there is money to be made selling items too. Many players don't feel comfortable on third party sites and will trust in Blizzards sanctioned system so there will be a demand.

42. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 21:56 Dev

Dades wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 18:17:
Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:53:
If you really think that many gold farmers won't use methods with the least cost and trouble, regardless of the selling price of gold, "then I don't know what else to say, you're hopeless."

Maybe if you tried not being so invested in a position and actually thought about it. Did you stop to think that bots can pickup items as well as gold? Not all items are easily liquidated into gold and the auction house item cap further adds to that problem. Item sales were a big factor in Diablo II, I played years of it. In fact when the value of gold becomes so commoditized that it can't be trusted due to botting then players only perceive value in the items themselves. Yes, botters will make money off gold as they have been doing already but they will also make money using the RMAH. There are countless Diablo II item sales sites that facilitated this already, the precedent and history are well established. Obviously the companies would prefer it if people used their sites directly but that doesn't mean they won't use Blizzards infrastructure to supplement their own too. It doesn't have to be companies either, many independent botters will do this to make money and in such scale that the effect will be similar.
"Maybe if you tried not being so invested in a position and actually thought about it. Did you stop to think that" items can easily be traded among accounts? I'm sure there will be items that are valuable, and the bots can look for those and funnel them all to a few accounts that deal with a 3rd party with a US address. Meanwhile, a goodly amount of the asian gold sales will continue on the black market as long as blizzard makes it easy to do so and has all the disadvantages on the side of going legit. Basically so far, blizzard isn't putting up any barriers to entry of going black market and IS putting up all sorts of barriers to going legit.

41. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 18:17 Dades

Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:53:
If you really think that many gold farmers won't use methods with the least cost and trouble, regardless of the selling price of gold, "then I don't know what else to say, you're hopeless."

Maybe if you tried not being so invested in a position and actually thought about it. Did you stop to think that bots can pickup items as well as gold? Not all items are easily liquidated into gold and the auction house item cap further adds to that problem. Item sales were a big factor in Diablo II, I played years of it. In fact when the value of gold becomes so commoditized that it can't be trusted due to botting then players only perceive value in the items themselves. Yes, botters will make money off gold as they have been doing already but they will also make money using the RMAH. There are countless Diablo II item sales sites that facilitated this already, the precedent and history are well established. Obviously the companies would prefer it if people used their sites directly but that doesn't mean they won't use Blizzards infrastructure to supplement their own too. It doesn't have to be companies either, many independent botters will do this to make money and in such scale that the effect will be similar.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2012, 18:26.

40. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 16:53 Dev

Dades wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:33:
Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:00:
But why would they bother jumping through all those hoops for official RMAH access only to get 30% taken away? Why not stay on like they are doing, spamming general chat, and operating on the "black" market? They can undercut cheapest prices on RMAH and still make more than they would actually using RMAH. So far blizzard hasn't seemed to ban anyone, and blizzard basically admitted they aren't paying any attention to reports anyway.

They will be able to farm/bot items and sell them for money directly which is less time consuming and the value of gold will just continue dropping as money overflows from gold botting. If you really think that the farming companies won't be using the RMAH when the value of $ per million gold keeps dropping then I don't know what else to say, you're hopeless.
They already ARE selling them for money directly is my point, people paypal them money and they get gold. And they aren't needing to have blizzard in the loop taking 30% off the top. Plus, since blizzard has said that the account address has to be in the USA to use the USA RMAH, they would have to cut in a 3rd party in the USA. That could be another 30% or more to deal with a third party, so a total of 60% loss to asian gold farmers to go "legit"

If blizzard gets up off their butts and starts banning and implementing anti-spam measures (did they learn nothing from D2?) yeah I could see a mass movement towards the RMAH. But right now, they are just coasting and selling and not having to cut blizzard or anyone else in for anything.

39. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 16:33 Dades

Dev wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 16:00:
But why would they bother jumping through all those hoops for official RMAH access only to get 30% taken away? Why not stay on like they are doing, spamming general chat, and operating on the "black" market? They can undercut cheapest prices on RMAH and still make more than they would actually using RMAH. So far blizzard hasn't seemed to ban anyone, and blizzard basically admitted they aren't paying any attention to reports anyway.

They will be able to farm/bot items and sell them for money directly which is less time consuming and the value of gold will just continue dropping as money overflows from gold botting. If you really think that the farming companies won't be using the RMAH when the value of $ per million gold keeps dropping then I don't know what else to say, you're hopeless.

38. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 16:05 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 11:25:
Some say "you should have different user/password for everything". I'm not sure I could manage having different user/password for everything.
Not only do I use different user/pass for everything, I use different email too. There's services out there that let you forward all your email to your main email. Its much easier if you use a password managing program, I recommend the excellent KeePass free open source program. There's paid alternatives too. Most of them offer options to copy/paste your passwords into your web browser, so you don't have to type whatever passwords you end up using.

If you use the same password/user for everything, basically whatever the weakest link is, such as a fan forum, if someone hacks it they can try your combo elsewhere (such as that one d3 hacker is doing, he's gotten 20k passwords doing that).

At the very least, if you hate all the above ideas, do something like a password that incorporates part of the site name. So something like:
MyFavAndOnlyPassBlues2
Yes, its not terribly secure, but it would at least help prevent automated tools from trying same user/pass elsewhere, and its more secure than using exact same pass on every site.

37. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 16:00 Dev

Dades wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:36:
Actually, I'm not sure it will change much. The chinese gold farmers can NOT participate in the RMAH (asia isn't going to have access to any RMAH), so they will continue to sell on the "black" market, spamming general chat and selling through websites. They won't be able to use blizzard's processing system at all. In other words, nothing will change from how it is now. We are getting a preview of what it will continue to be like.

They're going to have access, they will just do it through a subsidiary or other third party based somewhere else. If Blizzard blocks their IP then they will use a VPN and if they block their payment addresses they will just a third party.

36. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 13:20 ^Drag0n^

Diablo 3. hotfix.

Ar. Ar.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

35. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 12:34 Ozmodan

Great, makes it even less likely I will continue playing this game, not as if gold is easy to come by to start with. So basically you just have to farm bosses if you want gold, how stupid can they get?

Seems like a bunch of idiots are at Blizzard these days, guess I just put a halt on buying anything from them.

To top that off the item drop are horrible, at least in Diablo II I got a decent drop once in a while, the itemization in III is the worst yet.
Why play a game when you never get anything interesting in the drops???

34. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 12:25 PropheT

wonkawonka wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 04:25:
I had no problem obliterating normal with my DH without ever using the auction house. It's only by act II Nightmare that it became impossible to ignore. Essentially Blizzard is saying "you can win the game normally without the AH". And that is really just stupid. Having the AH makes everyone end up with the same builds because the only thing that matters is gold. Then Blizz will go and say "hey, we got a great idea! Let's nerf the drops so that the AH doesn't have 50 of the critical '+x to all resistances, +y% attack speed' item, and that people will have to do something else".
You know where that will end up...

I think Blizz is chewing much more than it can digest

The issue to me isn't whether you can win or not, but that entire categories of gear practically don't exist because of the AH. I've finished normal with three different characters, and put what I'd consider a fair amount of time into the game (got distracted by Dragon's Dogma so haven't cleared Nightmare yet). I've seen two legendary drops, both level 10 items, and never seen a set item. They were rare in Diablo 2, but you at least SAW these things. The thrill of discovery is gone because there's no real expectation of finding anything like that throughout the normal course of play; with a drop rate as low as those items have, there's no pathway to obtaining them outside of the AH.

To me, buying things on the AH defeats the entire purpose of playing a game like Diablo, so forcing the issue just makes me want to spend my time elsewhere rather than altering how I play to fit what they did in the game.

33. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 11:25 HorrorScope

Some say "you should have different user/password for everything". I'm not sure I could manage having different user/password for everything.

Some say you should use their authenticator. Yup ok.

Sure this can mostly be user issues, but ultimately it becomes the game companies issue as well indirectly.

To me the bnet authenticator is external and optional. They need to scrap the authenticator and build random security into the login process in the interface. See something like Dragon's nest. You have user/pass but you also assign a pin. You do not type it in ever, you click it and the numbers are in random spots each time. (Or how Steam handles it).

This takes the optional part out, protects those that won't do it themselves because you have to assume that as a game developer, you have to assume the lowest common denominator, otherwise gamers will leave and not return to some level.

Authentication is great, however it's too outside and optional with Bnet.

32. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 10:55 Trevellian

FloorPie wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:33:
PropheT wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:06:
They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.
Blizzard CLAIMS that the game was built to play entirely without needing to use the AH if so desired.

Hah, yeah if you wish to slowly grind through normal getting a headache and it taking twice as long. Nightmare+ will be even worse. Even well geared my DH had trouble with Izual and Diablo solo, several deaths seemingly due to server lag.

Prophet, I've felt the same way since I first cleared normal on my wizard in multiplayer and definately since solo'ing on the demon hunter. I'm actually thinking of going back to SWTOR.

You may actually want to go back to SWTOR if you think Normal was tedious. Seriously. Nightmare was challenging, Hell was punishing, and Inferno is unforgiving. You won't like the game past where you are if that is the attitude you have about normal lol. On both my Monk and Wizard I used 1 health pot in all of Normal mode.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

31. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 09:54 Alamar

Fion wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:02:
Ah Blizzards classic 'need 4 hours of downtime for this hotfix' followed by 'we need one more hour' shenanigans. GW2 beta weekend is on right now and when you get a patch there, you just have to restart and patch up, servers don't even come down. It's so nice!

True, but the combat is boring as shit...

I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes this weekend... I would like to make myself play some more... And maybe enjoy it a bit, but I have so little desire... (Part of that is that it's beta, and characters get deleted... I hate deleted chars ; )

-Alamar

30. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 04:25 wonkawonka

FloorPie wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.
Blizzard CLAIMS that the game was built to play entirely without needing to use the AH if so desired.

Hah, yeah if you wish to slowly grind through normal getting a headache and it taking twice as long. Nightmare+ will be even worse. Even well geared my DH had trouble with Izual and Diablo solo, several deaths seemingly due to server lag.

I had no problem obliterating normal with my DH without ever using the auction house. It's only by act II Nightmare that it became impossible to ignore. Essentially Blizzard is saying "you can win the game normally without the AH". And that is really just stupid. Having the AH makes everyone end up with the same builds because the only thing that matters is gold. Then Blizz will go and say "hey, we got a great idea! Let's nerf the drops so that the AH doesn't have 50 of the critical '+x to all resistances, +y% attack speed' item, and that people will have to do something else".
You know where that will end up...

I think Blizz is chewing much more than it can digest

29. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 03:38 Flatline

Dades wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
Actually, I'm not sure it will change much. The chinese gold farmers can NOT participate in the RMAH (asia isn't going to have access to any RMAH), so they will continue to sell on the "black" market, spamming general chat and selling through websites. They won't be able to use blizzard's processing system at all. In other words, nothing will change from how it is now. We are getting a preview of what it will continue to be like.

They're going to have access, they will just do it through a subsidiary or other third party based somewhere else. If Blizzard blocks their IP then they will use a VPN and if they block their payment addresses they will just a third party.

Last time I said that this would happen I was told that it'd be "far too difficult" to VPN into the Americas or otherwise work around the regional restrictions. Which I still laugh at.

Which is bullsh*t. The only way it won't happen is if the chinese farmers can't make a profit that way. And again, why would Blizzard want to go to *too* much trouble to lock them out? They make 15% off the top and another 15% when you withdraw. Blizzard telegraphed it's intent when they said that flat gold would be available in the auction house.

28. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:55 FloorPie

Prophet, I've felt the same way since I first cleared normal on my wizard in multiplayer and definately since solo'ing on the demon hunter. I'm actually thinking of going back to SWTOR.

27. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:55 Dades

26. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:36 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:31:
Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:36:
Already "WILL" be? No, its already DONE.
You can see the price of gold crashing by the farmer spam in general chat. It started out at $20+ per million gold. It was down to $10 last I checked (probably less now).
What I figure is that the farmers are trying to cash out while they can, because the RMAH is going to put a serious damper on their business. Everything will be tracked, and the fun part is I'll be blizz will be able to stop payment going out if the try to cash anything.

25. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:33 Dev

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo