Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hotfixes and More

The Diablo III Website outlines some new hotfixes applied to Diablo III. These once again carry a warning that these note may contain spoilers for anyone who has not completed the action/RPG, but this is a generic warning that doesn't really apply in this case. Gold drops form ash post and vases have been nerfed, leading to complaints that this prevents players from being able to farm them as before for the gold required to buy the items from the auction house required to play the game at the hardest levels, which seems illustrative of some balance issues yet to be worked out. Also, the I am (we are) Diablo III thread on Reddit is live where game designers Wyatt Cheng, Andrew Chambers, and Jay Wilson all discuss the present and future of the game.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:36:
Already "WILL" be? No, its already DONE.
You can see the price of gold crashing by the farmer spam in general chat. It started out at $20+ per million gold. It was down to $10 last I checked (probably less now).
What I figure is that the farmers are trying to cash out while they can, because the RMAH is going to put a serious damper on their business. Everything will be tracked, and the fun part is I'll be blizz will be able to stop payment going out if the try to cash anything.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:06 PropheT

Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:36:
Instead of focusing on these little problem spots that crop up (symptoms), they need to be focusing on how to shut down farmers and spammers, and preventing bots (the underlying problems that are creating the symptoms), and making it harder to steal accounts.

They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.

I enjoy the game, but the fact that in order to progress or in order to have a chance at having somewhat unique gear requires use of the auction house kills it for me. I got a real sense of, "The stuff isn't going to drop, so why play in search of it?" followed by a rapidly diminished desire to continue playing the game. Having the loot doesn't mean dick in a game like this so just buying it on the AH, to me, is like putting down a fiver and the guy just takes the carrot off the stick and hands it to you.

22. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:02 Fion

Ah Blizzards classic 'need 4 hours of downtime for this hotfix' followed by 'we need one more hour' shenanigans. GW2 beta weekend is on right now and when you get a patch there, you just have to restart and patch up, servers don't even come down. It's so nice!  

21. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 22:21 Wallshadows

The game really needed more Bill Roper.  

20. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 22:13 nin

Pretty soon the only way you can get loot will be to run acts 1-4 in a single sitting and then the end boss will have a chance to drop a blue buy it on the RMAH.

Fixed!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 21:36 Dev

Dades wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:25:
They can't wait for a traditional banwave every 3 months, the damage will already be done.
Already "WILL" be? No, its already DONE.
You can see the price of gold crashing by the farmer spam in general chat. It started out at $20+ per million gold. It was down to $10 last I checked (probably less now).

Instead of focusing on these little problem spots that crop up (symptoms), they need to be focusing on how to shut down farmers and spammers, and preventing bots (the underlying problems that are creating the symptoms), and making it harder to steal accounts.

18. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 21:25 Dades

eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 19:56:
I never did it, because it's fucking boring. I would rather spend my time killing monsters and fighting bosses than smashing pots for 4 hours.

Bots can run regular mobs, repair and loot specific items while ignoring others. They just did pots because it was simple and easy to program. Nerfing the pots is a bandaid that doesn't stop the bots from significantly affecting the economy, something they are already doing according to most players I've talked to. Here's an idea, nerf the bots instead of things that are going to affect legitimate players too. They can't wait for a traditional banwave every 3 months, the damage will already be done.

Anyway, this is no surprise. Blizzard's been on a nerf spree since the game launched. They watch the Youtube channels and Reddit to see if anyone has any tricks or strategies for accomplishing anything, and then they nerf the shit out of it.

It's fucking hilarious, it's a game about farming and they are nerfing farming spots that a lot of players legitimately use. Can people still damage mobs or is that verboten because a bot can do it? Pretty soon the only way you can get loot will be to run acts 1-4 in a single sitting and then the end boss will have a chance to drop a blue.

17. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 20:23 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 20:09:
However, it appears that all you have to do to cancel your auction after the 5 minute window is to simply rollback your system clock to when you put it up since it tracks from local system time instead of server time.
Lol wut?
Thats hilarious.

16. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 20:11 Flatline

Kastagir wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 18:59:
Sounds like the same line of thought that drives them to use onerous DRM methods to prevent piracy, damaging the experience for paying customers along the way. You must really want to be that hamster on the exercise wheel to put up with this sort of thing.

Pretty much. Everything is slanted downhill to point towards monetization through the AH. Remember, Blizzard gets a 15% comission off of each sale, and then pulling money out nets them another 15% fee. So 30% of each transaction in theory is a *hell* of a lot of potential money.

Incidentally, I have found one thing Diablo 3 is *fantastic* at. I boot it up and start playing and within 30 minutes, without fail, I'm falling asleep.

15. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 20:09 Wallshadows

Additional nerfs and changes:

Tyreal now hits for 1.2k and becomes a liability for Vampiric mobs.
The Loot Goblin on the Ancient Pathway in Act 2 is on vacation.
AFK farming in Act 2 has been fixed
A bunch of Resplendent chests have been removed in Act 3

However, it appears that all you have to do to cancel your auction after the 5 minute window is to simply rollback your system clock to when you put it up since it tracks from local system time instead of server time.

14. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:56 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 19:34:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 18:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:56:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:42:
The pots were the #1 spot for botting. You don't have to kill anything to get there, and there are no enemies in the area. You could make 40k+ gold in an hour doing nothing other than breaking pots totally unimpeded.

Oh no! 40k! We must stamp that out immediately. In two weeks, you might be able to buy a piece of gear.

It depends on who you ask, some people claim they could make as much as a million an hour, but the point is it was a nerf to try to stamp out bots, not people who were running it themselves.
With a disparity that big, somebody REALLY doesn't know what they're talking about.

Actually, the disparity comes from a few factors; the amount of Gold Find you have (in which it doesn't matter if you stack the maximum possible since Ash farming requires killing no monsters, you can stack GF and have no other stats and be just as effective as someone doing it with regular stat gear and no GF), how fast you can do it (loading in/out of game, being able to clear all the Ashes expediently). If you're running a bot it speeds up the process that much more by removing the human component.

I never did it, because it's fucking boring. I would rather spend my time killing monsters and fighting bosses than smashing pots for 4 hours.

13. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:34 Wowbagger_TIP

The pots were the #1 spot for botting. You don't have to kill anything to get there, and there are no enemies in the area. You could make 40k+ gold in an hour doing nothing other than breaking pots totally unimpeded.

Oh no! 40k! We must stamp that out immediately. In two weeks, you might be able to buy a piece of gear.

It depends on who you ask, some people claim they could make as much as a million an hour, but the point is it was a nerf to try to stamp out bots, not people who were running it themselves.
With a disparity that big, somebody REALLY doesn't know what they're talking about.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:08 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 19:04:
I just thought of something else... in D2, a lot of people highly disliked certain changes Blizzard made over the years and saw fit not to use "the latest and greatest" version put forth by Blizzard. I suppose D3's system means players have to use what Blizzard tells them to, whether they like it or not.
Pretty much. Though until either pvp comes out or a ladder system, the arguements won't matter much. Melee still get a 30% def. bonus in melee range unlike ranged characters. And when you get a "arcane, extra fast, vortex, fire chained, desecrator, vampiric, extra health" chewing on your face it doesn't matter if you're melee or ranged. It's better to run in the other direction.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:04 PHJF

I just thought of something else... in D2, a lot of people highly disliked certain changes Blizzard made over the years and saw fit not to use "the latest and greatest" version put forth by Blizzard. I suppose D3's system means players have to use what Blizzard tells them to, whether they like it or not.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 18:59 Kastagir

Flatline wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 18:26:

And yet in the shotgun blast they also kill legitimate players methods for gaining gold/playing the game.

But that's okay, eventually your credit card will replace all that.

Sounds like the same line of thought that drives them to use onerous DRM methods to prevent piracy, damaging the experience for paying customers along the way. You must really want to be that hamster on the exercise wheel to put up with this sort of thing.

9. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 18:26 Flatline

And yet in the shotgun blast they also kill legitimate players methods for gaining gold/playing the game.

But that's okay, eventually your credit card will replace all that.

8. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 18:00 eunichron

Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:44:
He says they are stealth hacking blizzard fansites and trying same user/pass on paypal and d3

Bbbbbut Blizard's security is terrible and they're an awful company who doesn't care about their customers!

Also, that interview was just painful to listen to.

7. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 17:56 NKD

Anyway, this is no surprise. Blizzard's been on a nerf spree since the game launched. They watch the Youtube channels and Reddit to see if anyone has any tricks or strategies for accomplishing anything, and then they nerf the shit out of it. The idea is that they want to funnel people into the Real Money Auction House out of necessity. If people can sustain themselves simply by playing the game, the usage of the RMAH will be lower and Blizzard will collect fewer fees.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 17:55 El Pit

China, you know how to deal with crooks like this. Lead them to a nearby stadium and make them participate in a public shooting. No, wait, don't do it. Rather make them work for YOU! $$$!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

5. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 17:44 Dev

linked on blues today, but blue didn't say that it was D3 related. Apparently there was a live stream on youtube of a chinese gold farmer/hacker showing stuff and telling stuff. Anyway this post sums up a lot of details:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5573706514?page=1

He says they are stealth hacking blizzard fansites and trying same user/pass on paypal and d3, and thats how they steal stuff on d3 accounts and what they use to buy copies of d3 from blizzard. His group has personally stolen 20,000 accounts that way, and farms 30 million gold an hour. It only required an initial investment into computer equipment and d3 accounts of $6,000 at game's release.
Also turns out that with a single account you can login to both US and EU at same time.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 17:50.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo