Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Interview

An interview on the Armchair General talks with Dean ‘Rocket’ Hall, creator of the DayZ Mod for Arma 2 that's caused a sensation since its release. He describes how his background in the New Zealand Air Force helped him with the project, and discusses a little of what the future hold for the project.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 09:13 RailWizard

J wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 05:58:
If you don't like it then stop clogging up the servers.

So is this guy "surviving" in your opinion? (i hate to give him more spotlight time, since he obviously subsists on it, but...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQebH_-S6k

That asshole is from shacknews, where everybody was all "awesome vids bro!"

Personally, I say it's the equivalent of a fart joke. Which is what the guy seems to be, and many others just like him. Everybody might laugh at it once, but only the kids never get tired of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 09:05 RailWizard

EbowGB wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 08:25:
"This game is basically CoD with few zombies thrown in now

[rest of rant snipped]"

Still waiting to experience that, and been playing daily for the last 3 weeks.

Tried other servers? Tried EU server?

I do play on various servers, but they are all local. The game is bad enough even with 30 ping. I do see tons of euros and ruskies on our servers tho...

11. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 08:31 djinn

Just posted the exact same thing on their forums. It literally has become Quake, just a very freaking slow, boring version.

This game is basically CoD with few zombies thrown in now. Even I have resorted to just shooting most players I see because that's exactly what they will do to you.

It really highlights what the gaming community has become, when if you show displeasure at those who refuse immersion, you are shouted down and called a assortment of derogatory names. It's a sandbox game, so there is no real point to it. Yet they will force you to play their way by relentlessly and remorselessly killing you over and over before you(or they) can even approach anything resembling progression.

They say it's because there's nothing to do. SO? Move the fuck on then instead of griefing everyone because your 12-20 year old brain is bored and you are too stupid to think constructively. I feel pretty bad for the people who were playing this before it went viral...their perception of the decline must be a lot worse than mine. After removing the bandit mechanic and certain comments in the patch notes, my opinion of Rocket is pretty fucking low right now. He better do something, and fast, or this mod will die as quick as it was born.

10. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 08:25 EbowGB

"This game is basically CoD with few zombies thrown in now

[rest of rant snipped]"

Still waiting to experience that, and been playing daily for the last 3 weeks.

Tried other servers? Tried EU server?

9. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 05:58 J

Bhruic wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 02:13:
Yeah. We've started to see a few "civilization" projects pop up, where large groups of survivors are planning to take over an area, and make it a "safe zone" for other survivors. We've seen some people volunteer to play a doctor role, and volunteer to help people who need medical aid (with precautions, of course). So there are options other than "shoot everyone you see", but you have to make the effort to enact them. The game isn't going to hand them to you. It truly is open-ended in that sense.

This.

Sure, I've been shot in the back a few times - that's part of the experience. I can cave in and become a bandit or quit and complain. I choose not to.

There are decent folks out there, there are those who just want to mind their own, and there are those who will happily cram a bullet into your eye socket without a second's thought.

I consider this a test of humanity. How do people behave when the odds are stacked against them and there's little in the way of rewards and hand-holding?

The easy way out is to make excuses. Oh, he looked at me funny! You're playing like COD OMG grow up! This isn't fair! etc. etc.

The bottom line is you have to survive. They have to survive. It's how we go about it which is the important thing, and it is down to each and every one of us to make that choice and to invest the effort into maintaining it.

I like it. If you don't like it then stop clogging up the servers.

8. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 04:15 RailWizard

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 03:06:
Yeah. We've started to see a few "civilization" projects pop up, where large groups of survivors are planning to take over an area, and make it a "safe zone" for other survivors. We've seen some people volunteer to play a doctor role, and volunteer to help people who need medical aid (with precautions, of course). So there are options other than "shoot everyone you see", but you have to make the effort to enact them. The game isn't going to hand them to you. It truly is open-ended in that sense.

This is the kind of stuff that I'm really interested in. Most MMOs have completely failed to really explore the whole "multiplayer" aspect of MMO. EVE is only the one that has come close. Most MMOs are basically just theme parks where you take turns grinding retarded AI enemies for loot and XP. Games like DayZ allow players to shape the future of the game and define the experience themselves.

EVE is an excellent sandbox game. DayZ is a horrible and pathetic joke by comparison.

7. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 03:06 Jerykk

This is the kind of stuff that I'm really interested in. Most MMOs have completely failed to really explore the whole "multiplayer" aspect of MMO. EVE is only the one that has come close. Most MMOs are basically just theme parks where you take turns grinding retarded AI enemies for loot and XP. Games like DayZ allow players to shape the future of the game and define the experience themselves.

6. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 03:00 DangerDog

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 01:43:
DayZ is basically a sandbox. You set your own goals. Want to survive as long as possible? Want to kill as many zombies as possible? Want to kill as many players as possible? You choose your own priorities. Having a co-op mode where you only kill hordes of zombies would be stupid. There are already plenty of games that do that, like Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor. DayZ's open-ended gameplay is what makes it unique. Your interactions with other players and the general sense of paranoia and distrust are essential to the experience and zombie fiction in general.

I understand all of that but I still say that Arma is a piss poor game to be used for PvP, maybe Arma III will be better. Arma is more about PvE, if the missions were setup properly it would be 10x better than left 4 dead, or killing floor.

5. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 02:13 Bhruic

4. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 01:43 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 01:38:
There's not much in the way of a "game" here, it's just an experience and once you've experienced surviving by running around and collecting gear / killing zombies you get bored and people start killing other players.

I find Arma to be an extremely poor game for PvP, extremely long distance kills and the rather clumsy movement system just doesn't bode well.

It would be much better to have a co-op mode where you need to kill zombie hoards and have some sort of end game solution.

The few days I did play it I found the zombies not as great of threat as other players were.

DayZ is basically a sandbox. You set your own goals. Want to survive as long as possible? Want to kill as many zombies as possible? Want to kill as many players as possible? You choose your own priorities. Having a co-op mode where you only kill hordes of zombies would be stupid. There are already plenty of games that do that, like Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor. DayZ's open-ended gameplay is what makes it unique. Your interactions with other players and the general sense of paranoia and distrust are essential to the experience and zombie fiction in general.

3. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 01:38 DangerDog

There's not much in the way of a "game" here, it's just an experience and once you've experienced surviving by running around and collecting gear / killing zombies you get bored and people start killing other players.

I find Arma to be an extremely poor game for PvP, extremely long distance kills and the rather clumsy movement system just doesn't bode well.

It would be much better to have a co-op mode where you need to kill zombie hoards and have some sort of end game solution.

The few days I did play it I found the zombies not as great of threat as other players were.

2. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 00:48 ELITE

I quit playing after being shot in the back several times after saving folks I saw from zombies...

I don't want to play DEATHMATCH in a super large level... so I quit.

1. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 00:16 RailWizard

This game is basically CoD with few zombies thrown in now. Even I have resorted to just shooting most players I see because that's exactly what they will do to you.

It really highlights what the gaming community has become, when if you show displeasure at those who refuse immersion, you are shouted down and called a assortment of derogatory names. It's a sandbox game, so there is no real point to it. Yet they will force you to play their way by relentlessly and remorselessly killing you over and over before you(or they) can even approach anything resembling progression.

They say it's because there's nothing to do. SO? Move the fuck on then instead of griefing everyone because your 12-20 year old brain is bored and you are too stupid to think constructively. I feel pretty bad for the people who were playing this before it went viral...their perception of the decline must be a lot worse than mine. After removing the bandit mechanic and certain comments in the patch notes, my opinion of Rocket is pretty fucking low right now. He better do something, and fast, or this mod will die as quick as it was born.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo