Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play

Crytek CEO tells Videogamer.com that Crytek is moving towards developing only free-to-play games. "Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience," he told them at E3. "What this entails is that our future, all the new games that we're working on, as well new projects, new platforms and technologies, are designed around free-to-play and online, with the highest quality development."

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

3. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 21:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I really don't care about this. They'll either produce something good that I actually want to play, like Tribes:Ascend or they'll produce crap that I won't even bother with. The F2P thing is going to get bigger and more competitive. They'll either produce games that people actually want to play, or they'll fail. That's fine with me.

I even think there is a market for P2W games, as a lot of people seem to like playing them. It's just a market that I can safely ignore.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 21:42 theyarecomingforyou

Ermm.... okay? Seriously, I don't get it. The Crysis series must pull in some decent money and it's highly acclaimed. I would have thought it would be better to diversify than to put all your eggs in one basket. Even though Valve is releasing F2P games they're still releasing conventional games and they have a firm business model for both.

Are they any closer to releasing Warface in western countries? Warface looks really good for a F2P game but it's only available in Russia and South Korea from what I last read. I'm in the GFACE beta but haven't heard anything about Warface.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 21:34 Prez

Well scratch off another developer I used to care about. After Yerli's obnoxious whining about piracy even though Crysis sold extremely well for a high end PC game I'm not too upset about it either.

"If you look at what kind of games are done in the packaged goods market, with DLCs and premium services and whatnot, it's literally milking the customers to death."

And a "free to play" game isn't? You don't spend 30 million dollars on a game without wanting a return on that investment. You are going to pitch to gamers constantly so they spend money on your "free" game. It has to happen; how else would a game like this be cost effective?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 21:42.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo