Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play

Crytek CEO tells Videogamer.com that Crytek is moving towards developing only free-to-play games. "Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience," he told them at E3. "What this entails is that our future, all the new games that we're working on, as well new projects, new platforms and technologies, are designed around free-to-play and online, with the highest quality development."

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

43. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 04:32 RailWizard

Kedyn wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:50:
Free to Play is a good move. I've spent more on free to play Tribes Ascend ($60) than any other game since probably World of Warcraft : Cataclysm.

You actually spent money on tribes? Wow...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 04:27 Kajetan

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 03:33:
Morally corrupt business model.
It is. F2P is a scam. To be profitable, the game has to trick you, lure you into spending money. Its completely intransparent, how much money this game will cost you. This business model feeds on weak minded gamers. Yes, its morally corrupt.

And therefore fits to Crytek like a glove!

41. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 03:33 netnerd85

And I hope they fail. No interest in their games or technology any way. Morally corrupt business model.  

40. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 02:08 Hump

Jeryk,

You make some valid points but the point I was trying to make is that F-2-P isn't and shouldn't be a major sticking point for most gamers. The model works and its one that will be used more and more as time goes on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

39. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:50 Kedyn

Free to Play is a good move. I've spent more on free to play Tribes Ascend ($60) than any other game since probably World of Warcraft : Cataclysm.  

38. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:41 Jerykk

Hump wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:25:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:21:
Further, the stuff i bought has NOT made me any more powerful....it's just allowed me to have more ways in which I can play the game.

Eh... that's not entirely true. For one, most of the unlockables in T:A are upgrades, not side-grades. More health, more ammo, more damage, more energy, etc. A fully upgraded Soldier will have a significant advantage over a non-upgraded Soldier. Also, some weapons are just plain better than others. The Jackal is inherently better than the Arx Buster, for example.

Most of the "upgrades" are superficial. A bit more ammo, 25% more damage against "armored targets" (vehicles and turrets which are rarely used) etc. Some of it is useful but not unbalanced or unfair. Most of the time I dont even bother with the "upgrades" because they dont impart any very significant. The Jackal is being rebalanced.

That's not really true. Take the Soldier, for example. Let's assume that the player is using the default loadout, with the Safety Third and Egocentric perks. A fully upgraded player will have:

+10 disc ammo
+20% disc damage against armored targets
+1 hand grenade
+20% hand grenade radius
+20% hand grenade damage vs armored targets
+10 thumper dx ammo
+20% thumper dx damage vs armored targets
+20% energy
-25% health regen delay
+100 health
+25% health regen rate
-20% self-damage

All those things add up and would definitely tip the scale in a fight between two evenly-skilled players.

The problem with T:A's upgrade system is that it isn't a skill tree. You don't have to pick and choose. You can fully upgrade everything. Hi-Rez needs to revamp the upgrade system entirely. Your weapons/packs/armor/perks should have a small number of upgrade slots, into which you can put any combination of upgrades. There would be more upgrades than upgrade slots, so you'd be forced to specialize. Voila, balance.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 00:48.

37. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:27 Dmitri_M

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:51:
There are exceptions. I don't doubt there are titles that require this finacial model to be made. Tribes is an established brand and most of us would be attention to it F2P or not.

Tribes has always been niche, even when compared to UT and Quake. Considering that Quake and UT are now considered niche, that makes Tribes even more niche. If Hi-Rez had released Tribes: Ascend as a $20-30 game, it would have a tiny community. See games like Shattered Horizon, Red Orchestra 2, Nuclear Dawn, Lead & Gold, etc, for good examples of what happens when you release a relatively obscure, multiplayer-only shooter that isn't F2P. That's why I fear for Natural Selection 2. It may be a great game but they're charging $35 for it. Not many people are going to spend $35 to try it out.
Yeah I agree. That is essentially what I was saying. I understand why the Tribes guys went with F2P.

There are a lot of extremely generic titles being developed as F2P that have no heritage to build on. They seem only to exist to squeeze money out of casual gamers.

The no single player thing mentioned earlier is spot on too.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 00:32.

36. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:25 Hump

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:21:
Further, the stuff i bought has NOT made me any more powerful....it's just allowed me to have more ways in which I can play the game.

Eh... that's not entirely true. For one, most of the unlockables in T:A are upgrades, not side-grades. More health, more ammo, more damage, more energy, etc. A fully upgraded Soldier will have a significant advantage over a non-upgraded Soldier. Also, some weapons are just plain better than others. The Jackal is inherently better than the Arx Buster, for example.

Most of the "upgrades" are superficial. A bit more ammo, 25% more damage against "armored targets" (vehicles and turrets which are rarely used) etc. Some of it is useful but not unbalanced or unfair. Most of the time I dont even bother with the "upgrades" because they dont impart any very significant. The Jackal is being rebalanced.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

35. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:21 Jerykk

Being free alone does not make it worth playing for everyone though. In my case, it's quite the contrary. The design necessities required by a game being free to play almost automatically make it one I have absolutely no interest in.

True, but most people are less discerning. If something is free and convenient, they'll try it. It's the same appeal as piracy, only without the illegality.

34. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:19 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:12:
And in many of the latest f2p games you can spend far more than a single 60 bucks fee AND a monthly 15 dollar fee just in a single month.

You can also spend absolutely nothing.
Being free alone does not make it worth playing for everyone though. In my case, it's quite the contrary. The design necessities required by a game being free to play almost automatically make it one I have absolutely no interest in.

Amazon has dozens of free paranormal romance books on their website, but to someone who doesn't like those kinds of books, the fact that it's free is irrelevant. There's no value in it for them at any price. Until we start seeing more kinds of free to play games (i.e. not competitive mp shooters or MMO's), many gamers will continue to scoff at the F2P model.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

33. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:16 Hump

BOTA:99 wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:10:
Hump wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:57:
BOTA:99 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:29:
You can end up paying far more under the laughable "free to play" model. Why do you think they are all moving in this direction.

Because physical media is dead? Because people don't want to pay for a game and then a monthly fee? Because one can tailor their MP experience in a way that doesn't require endless grinding?

Just stop with this "ITS PAY TO WIN MAAAAANNNN!" bullshit. You can check out a game without spending a penny. Is paying 60 bucks for a retail game only to find out its a piece of shit make more sense to you?

Thats whats called a rhetorical question.

Yeah, a pay to win model is awesome. And in many of the latest f2p games you can spend far more than a single 60 bucks fee AND a monthly 15 dollar fee just in a single month.

Funny, I'm playing Tribes Ascend and quite a few people are using the free classes and are kicking ass while not spending a penny. So far, no one I know has been charged for the download.....or the patches.....or the DLC/new maps.....or the awesome support from Hi-Rez...etc. Further, the stuff i bought has NOT made me any more powerful....it's just allowed me to have more ways in which I can play the game. I still get my ass kicked on a regular basis from the people who don't pay a dime.

- Jim Goad

32. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:12 Jerykk

And in many of the latest f2p games you can spend far more than a single 60 bucks fee AND a monthly 15 dollar fee just in a single month.

You can also spend absolutely nothing.

That alone presents problems. First, unless you are super skilled you are almost always at a disadvantage to people who paid. Secondly, it almost goes without saying that in order to entice more players to pay to get unlocks faster, the unlocking process ends up being the very definition of "grind".

Yeah, paid players will have more unlockables initially and thus have the short-term advantage over unpaid players. In the long-term, it's less of an issue because unpaid players will have unlocked the things they want naturally.

As for grinding, it depends on the game. If you enjoy the gameplay, it's not really grinding. Grinding is when you do something that you otherwise wouldn't do, solely for the sake of getting XP, loot or unlockables. Doing quests in most MMOs is a grind because 99.9% of players wouldn't bother if there were no tangible rewards involved. I don't play Tribes: Ascend solely for the sake of XP, loot or unlockables. I play it because I generally find it enjoyable to play.

31. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:11 Prez

You don't have to pay anything unless you want to unlock stuff faster. That's the whole idea behind F2P. Impatient people pay to unlock stuff faster while patient people just unlock stuff naturally. Sadly, this means that any F2P model will inevitably rely on unlockables,

That alone presents problems. First, unless you are super skilled you are almost always at a disadvantage to people who paid. Secondly, it almost goes without saying that in order to entice more players to pay to get unlocks faster, the unlocking process ends up being the very definition of "grind".

30. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:10 BOTA:99

Hump wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:57:
You can end up paying far more under the laughable "free to play" model. Why do you think they are all moving in this direction.

Because physical media is dead? Because people don't want to pay for a game and then a monthly fee? Because one can tailor their MP experience in a way that doesn't require endless grinding?

Just stop with this "ITS PAY TO WIN MAAAAANNNN!" bullshit. You can check out a game without spending a penny. Is paying 60 bucks for a retail game only to find out its a piece of shit make more sense to you?

Yeah, a pay to win model is awesome. And in many of the latest f2p games you can spend far more than a single 60 bucks fee AND a monthly 15 dollar fee just in a single month.

29. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 00:06 Jerykk

I simply don't trust or care for F2P games, which generally cost more (perversely), have lower quality and could disappear at any moment.

You don't have to pay anything unless you want to unlock stuff faster. That's the whole idea behind F2P. Impatient people pay to unlock stuff faster while patient people just unlock stuff naturally. Sadly, this means that any F2P model will inevitably rely on unlockables, which I'm really not a fan of. Cosmetic unlockables are fine but anything that affects gameplay should be immediately available to everyone. However, even non-F2P multiplayer games have unlockables these days so there you go.

As for dubious quality, that was true before but F2P games have gotten significantly better as of late. Developers are starting to realize that F2P is a viable business model so they're putting more effort into F2P games. Planetside 2, Tribes: Ascend, LoL, HoN, DotA2, Ghost Recon Online, End of Nations, World of Tanks... standards have risen considerably in the F2P market.

Finally, I don't think longevity is really an issue. F2P means there's no barrier to entry, so pretty much anyone is willing to at least try a F2P game. This results in larger communities. The business model also relies on microtransactions, so developers need to regularly release new content for people to buy. In the long-term, F2P games end up getting more support than regular games.

28. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:58 Prez

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:55:
That makes no sense. If you hate someone, you tend to talk about it a lot.
Jeez what is your problem?

What is my problem? You lecturing me about what I can and can't say on a forum, especially when what I said is relevant to the topic.

27. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:57 Hump

- Jim Goad

26. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:56 Rattlehead

That makes no sense. If you hate someone or something, you tend to talk about it a lot.
Actually it makes perfect sense. You wouldn't hang out with someone you don't like, or watch a movie you don't like or eat food you don't like.

25. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:55 theyarecomingforyou

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:13:
Who plays Free to Play games? I do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.
Same. Even with the new Tribes I was irritated that vehicles and classes were hidden behind pay walls. It rewards those that pay rather than those that play. Same with AOE Online. I loved the previous games but the F2P model somehow ended up dramatically more expensive than a normal game if you bought all the content. F2P games are generally complete scams, though Valve proves to be one of the exceptions to the rule.

I'd much rather pay for a game outright. I simply don't trust or care for F2P games, which generally cost more (perversely), have lower quality and could disappear at any moment. Same with MMOs - I have no interest in paying monthly for a game. I don't have a problem with hybrids like Diablo III or Guild Wars though.

I generally prefer singleplayer games anyway.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

24. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:55 Rattlehead

That makes no sense. If you hate someone, you tend to talk about it a lot.
Jeez what is your problem?

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo