Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Engine 4 Videos

This Unreal Engine 4 E3 2012 Demo shows off the capabilities of the next version of Epic's game engine. The clip shows off advanced lighting, particle and liquid worthy of a Hollywood production (thanks Tony!!!). This clip (thanks Ant) features Alan Willard showing off the engine and what's new.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 10, 2012, 18:24 Dades

The advancements in indirect lighting are really nice.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 10, 2012, 10:18 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:05:
I agree with theyarecoming4u in one respect - anything that makes a game feel more immersive, more "real" (as "real" as a sci-fi shooter can feel anyway), is worth doing. It is certainly exactly what I want. Whether it's ultra intricate reloading animations, dynamically moving clothing, awesome hair-blowing-in-the-breeze animations, what have you. If it helps improve the illusion that makes you forget you are playing a game then it isn't a waste regardless of what internet know-it-all blowhards say.

All of this is very different from what theyarecomingforyou listed. Very different. Good reloading animations, good clothing and good animations are important and noticeable.

Spinning not perfectly in one place when looking directly down and having clips shown on your person even though the game is a FPS is not important.

Clips strike me as problematic, period. In most games you're holding what, 200 rounds on you. You rarely reload when a clip is dry. Yet you perfectly run out. Shouldn't you, at some point, have to either merge clips or pop in a half-empty clip you'd previously popped out?
IMMERSION!

Also, "know-it-all blowhards!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 21:05 Prez

I agree with theyarecoming4u in one respect - anything that makes a game feel more immersive, more "real" (as "real" as a sci-fi shooter can feel anyway), is worth doing. It is certainly exactly what I want. Whether it's ultra intricate reloading animations, dynamically moving clothing, awesome hair-blowing-in-the-breeze animations, what have you. If it helps improve the illusion that makes you forget you are playing a game then it isn't a waste regardless of what internet know-it-all blowhards say.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 20:30 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 16:46:
And we still don't have games where you can shoot an enemy in the leg and then follow the blood trail, or shoot them in the arm which requires them to switch their weapon into their other hand
I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one game where you shoot them in the arm and their weapon falls and someone else picks it up.

38. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 19:31 theyarecomingforyou

mellis wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:18:
You are completely right. Epic's engine looks nice, but that's about it. I think rather than using the term 'Realism'; probably 'Immersion' is more appropriate (as you say - proper physics, body awareness, realtime environmental decals etc).
Yeah, pretty much. And I'd see those CryEngine 3 videos before - the vehicle one is particularly interesting.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

37. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 17:18 mellis

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 16:46:
I want developers to really go back to basics and assess why things are done in a particular way. Some of that needs to be done on a game-by-game basis but much should be built into the core engine. I liked Far Cry 2 because it had a completely different take on the traditional health system and implemented a dynamic fire system; Mirror's Edge because you could traverse terrain in a much more fluid manner; STALKER because it implemented dynamic and compelling weather systems, etc. And WatchDogs excites me not because of graphical advancements but because of the focus on mannerisms, environmental detail (blowing cans, etc), immersion (interactions with NPCs), etc.

You are completely right. Epic's engine looks nice, but that's about it. I think rather than using the term 'Realism'; probably 'Immersion' is more appropriate (as you say - proper physics, body awareness, realtime environmental decals etc). Had a dig around YouTube and it would seem that Crytek are certainly moving in that direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJMJ_GcBLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=K7JV-5a0Mdw

and probably one of the most impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ03QKeJlrg

36. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 17:02 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 16:26:
Let's have a "realistic" FPS shooter where the first 60 hours of gameplay involve weapon maintenance, filling sandbags, staying hydrated, sentry duty, and jerking off when you have 2 minutes of privacy. Then you get your first patrol, and a roadside bomb knocks you unconscious before you have a chance to react. A few weeks of medical treatment and PT later and you're redeployed to do it all over again. Now *that* is some realism right there!
It's patently obviously that wasn't the degree of realism I was talking about. However, it really isn't too much to ask that weapons and ammo don't just appear out of nowhere; that sometimes a weapon will jam (done in a few games) or the magazine doesn't quite align properly and it takes a second try to load it. Or that you don't simply spin on the spot.

The reason why we have walk-over ammo pickups and regenerating health is that there's *always* a compromise between aesthetics and gameplay. The artwork, memory, and processing power used to render ammunition magazines you'll never see
I just don't accept that. Collecting ammo off dead bodies shouldn't be a cakewalk - there should be some tension as you rifle through their pocket and unload the clip in their weapon. Just because it isn't standard doesn't mean it could make compelling gameplay. And it obviously won't suit every game. But at the bare minimum I'd like to see that appear in survival-horror games like STALKER and Metro.

Before you start bitching about little tiny shit like ammo clips, maybe we should do something about the actual shooting of guns. If you shoot in real life, shooting from the hip is almost impossible, and even running/walking while aiming with anything larger than a SMG is going to be an exercise in exhaustion.
Shooting from the hip is not impossible, though it is generally much less accurate. However, games have had the ability to look down the sights to improve accuracy for years. That's already present in many games.

Realism is not suitable for every game but I'm not advocating in game food consumption or bandaging yourself up after every shot. However, FC2 was a nice compromise - you had some regen (per segment), you had booster drugs to keep you going and if you took too much damage you'd have to stop and address it (i.e. pulling shrapnel out of your leg) or you would bleed out. 100% realistic? Absolutely not. Better than running over a health pack or automatically regenerating health? Without a doubt. Are you honestly opposed to the improvements I'm suggesting? Should guns really appear out of nowhere? Is it really sensible to carry 10 different weapons, including rocket launchers?

Too often developers simply copy what others do, never taking the time to question why things are done. I'm just advocating for that to stop.

35. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 16:46 theyarecomingforyou

deqer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 15:07:
Looking at your signature, it would seem that's why you think the way you do, and expect what you want to expect.
Just the contrary, actually. My specs would surely suggest I care more about performance and image quality than gameplay, which is the opposite of what I was advocating. Lip-syncing doesn't require masses of processing power, neither does realistic blood flow, rendering where weapons and clips come from or character models that don't spin on the spot. Those are design decisions. Even rendering clothing that can be removed is more technically challenging than hardware demanding.

deqer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 15:07:
No one wants to waste a ton of money on more pixels if there is NO NEED for it. Game can be just as fun without all that shit you mentioned, hence why people are still playing said games to this date.
But that's EXACTLY what the video showed. Honestly, did you even think about that before typing it? Epic is showing off millions of floaty particles that can move independently, rubble that falls to the ground using physics, chains and fabric that floats in the breeze, etc. Is there any "NEED" for that?

As I said, developers are focusing on things that are easy to achieve and simply require more computing power rather than basic features that would have a relatively low overhead. HL2 wasn't cutting edge because of its rendering engine but physics, facial animations, lip-sync and the gameplay. Epic is the leading middle-ware provider and it's disappointing that they aren't doing anything to address some of the basic oversights in game development. It strikes me as absurd that despite all the advancements the industry has made that ammo and weapons are still picked up by walking over them - just like it was for Wolfenstein 3D back in 1992. Twenty years later and the biggest 'advancement' we've had is that some games make you press a button to pick up ammo or weapons. And we still don't have games where you can shoot an enemy in the leg and then follow the blood trail, or shoot them in the arm which requires them to switch their weapon into their other hand and if two handed fire much less accurately.

I want developers to really go back to basics and assess why things are done in a particular way. Some of that needs to be done on a game-by-game basis but much should be built into the core engine. I liked Far Cry 2 because it had a completely different take on the traditional health system and implemented a dynamic fire system; Mirror's Edge because you could traverse terrain in a much more fluid manner; STALKER because it implemented dynamic and compelling weather systems, etc. And WatchDogs excites me not because of graphical advancements but because of the focus on mannerisms, environmental detail (blowing cans, etc), immersion (interactions with NPCs), etc.

I'm happy that Epic is advancing things graphically but they don't really design games any more - their entire focus in on licencing the engine. I therefore find it disappointing that there isn't enough focus on technologies like facial animations, etc.

PS - Did anyone see the videos on CryEngine 3? The characters irises actually constrict and dilate in response to the amount of light in the environment. On its own that's completely irrelevant but it's lots of details like that which make the difference between a great game and a classic game.

34. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 16:40 eunichron

Before you start bitching about little tiny shit like ammo clips, maybe we should do something about the actual shooting of guns. If you shoot in real life, shooting from the hip is almost impossible, and even running/walking while aiming with anything larger than a SMG is going to be an exercise in exhaustion. If you want realism, start with something simple: bring back the weapon (in)accuracy of games like Rogue Spear, where I could be in the middle of an empty room and drop to a knee, motionless, while some asshole circle-strafed me and unloaded his entire magazine and I'd kill him about 95 times out of a hundred.

Start there, and we'll start discussing "realism".

Well, first off it's fucking "magazine" not "clip" god damn it! There is a difference! http://i.imgur.com/KXR2Z.jpg

Second, shooting from the hip isn't all hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bn3GvvkA6U
Somewhat related in CQB you don't actually aim down the sights of your rifle, but you aim down the barrel (there is a technical term for it but I don't remember what it is). It works for engagements less than 50m, which the majority video game engagements would qualify for.

Lastly, running/walking while aiming is not difficult or exhausting at all. I've done it in both training and real situations, and I could do it now in my current soft-body out of shape civilian status.

33. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 16:26 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 14:39:
Because it's such a basic flaw. It seems absurd that UE4 can render a billion independently moving floating particles yet when a character reloads of changes weapons they just appear out of nowhere. Why the hell developers still designing systems where you pick up ammo and health by simply walking over it? Why the hell do we have regenerating health? I'm not saying such systems shouldn't be used but they certainly deserve no place in any game that tries to pass itself off as at all realistic.

God damn it I want a game that makes me *feel* what a sucking chest wound would feel like if I get shot. I mean, if we're going to toss around the word "realistic" just because you have clips rendered on your (never seen) model doesn't make it anywhere near real life. I want to have to learn to apply a bandage with one hand while holding my guts in with the other. Anything less than that level of intensity and calling a game "realistic" is bullshit.

And if you're too pussy to wanna go there with your demand for "realism", then let's compromise at the halfway point. Let's have a "realistic" FPS shooter where the first 60 hours of gameplay involve weapon maintenance, filling sandbags, staying hydrated, sentry duty, and jerking off when you have 2 minutes of privacy. Then you get your first patrol, and a roadside bomb knocks you unconscious before you have a chance to react. A few weeks of medical treatment and PT later and you're redeployed to do it all over again. Now *that* is some realism right there!

And just in case all that sarcasm went over your head...

The reason why we have walk-over ammo pickups and regenerating health is that there's *always* a compromise between aesthetics and gameplay. The artwork, memory, and processing power used to render ammunition magazines you'll never see (in first person you can't see yourself, in 3rd, you're staring at the dude's back) is simply better spent elsewhere to have a better game. While I'm mostly a fan of non-regenerating health systems (I dug the original Rainbow Six games especially) I understand why they're used, even (and especially) in "realistic" shooters. When someone has like 2 health points left, it's not particularly stress-inducing, it's frustrating.

Before you start bitching about little tiny shit like ammo clips, maybe we should do something about the actual shooting of guns. If you shoot in real life, shooting from the hip is almost impossible, and even running/walking while aiming with anything larger than a SMG is going to be an exercise in exhaustion. If you want realism, start with something simple: bring back the weapon (in)accuracy of games like Rogue Spear, where I could be in the middle of an empty room and drop to a knee, motionless, while some asshole circle-strafed me and unloaded his entire magazine and I'd kill him about 95 times out of a hundred.

Start there, and we'll start discussing "realism".

32. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 16:20 The Half Elf

deqer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:54:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:42:
That simply isn't true. But, you know, whatever. Confused
Sure it is. Let's go back further than the 90s. Let's go back all the way to the year that Chess was invented. Chess is a great game, and you don't see us making such graphical improvements on it, because there is NO NEED. The game plays fine with or without graphics. You don't need 3d animated hologram chess pieces to enjoy a game of chess. Only gameplay matters, and I would rather have a game with simple graphics because it's simple, and fast.

Did you ever play Battlechess by Interplay? Or Star Wars Chess? Seriously, please sit down and be quiet.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 15:23 Acleacius

Sweeney always does a great job with the engine, at least he gets some credit when a really great game comes out on his engine. Thumbsup

It's obviously the lame ass game design department at epic, who's skills are limited to designing games at a 15 y/o mentality level. Fortunately, there are many, many developers who's game design abilities allow them to make games for the majority of gamers who possess an adult mentality, no matter their age.

This is just a tech demo, the engine has the ability to do all the effects you guys have mentioned. It's just whether the actual game developer making said game, chooses to add these abilities.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 15:29.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

30. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 15:07 deqer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 14:39:

You seem to have a very bizarre idea as to what defines gaming.
Looking at your signature, it would seem that's why you think the way you do, and expect what you want to expect.

No one wants to waste a ton of money on more pixels if there is NO NEED for it. Game can be just as fun without all that shit you mentioned, hence why people are still playing said games to this date.

29. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 14:39 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 10:55:
Some of those are an absolute waste of processing power and developer manpower. Why do we need to accurately visually represent the clips a player has at all times, especially in a first person game. Why do we need realistic bleeding out, especially when we usually look at a dead enemy the first time we kill that type then, instead, run past them at full speed to either kill the guys next to him or get to the next group of guys to kill? Why should we dedicate the polygons to being able to take on or off clothing, and in how many games is that even a feature? Why should guys spin realistically when you look down at their feet (seriously, what would this add other than clunkiness? Who ever looks down at their feet and spins?)
My point isn't that such features should take the place of graphical enhancements but that they should advance at a similar pace. Just look at how terrible the blowing fabric and falling rubble in that video are; the flame animations are just as bad. Developers are gravitating towards what is easier to implement than what would most improve realism and immersion.

Why do we need to accurately visually represent the clips a player has at all times, especially in a first person game.
Because it's such a basic flaw. It seems absurd that UE4 can render a billion independently moving floating particles yet when a character reloads of changes weapons they just appear out of nowhere. Why the hell developers still designing systems where you pick up ammo and health by simply walking over it? Why the hell do we have regenerating health? I'm not saying such systems shouldn't be used but they certainly deserve no place in any game that tries to pass itself off as at all realistic.

Why do we need realistic bleeding out, especially when we usually look at a dead enemy the first time we kill that type then, instead, run past them at full speed to either kill the guys next to him or get to the next group of guys to kill?
But why do we have enemy "types"? It's simply because AI is so shit that it can't handle unique, situationally aware behaviour. It's because games would rather throw hundreds of generic enemies at you than put you up against one credible opponent. And when you shoot someone they should bleed out in a realistic manner. You should then be able to step in that blood and walk it across the map. Environments should behave as you would expect in real life.

Why should we dedicate the polygons to being able to take on or off clothing, and in how many games is that even a feature?
Why is it worth using tessellation to add millions of polygons onto the surface of a wall or on a characters ear, yet not to make independently moving clothing that can be removed?

Why should guys spin realistically when you look down at their feet (seriously, what would this add other than clunkiness? Who ever looks down at their feet and spins?)
Why should games do anything? Why even bother with reload animations if they're just a waste of polygons? Why bother with HDR when stepping out from a dark environment to a light one? At the end of the day there's no reason why should you be able to spin around 180 degrees in less than 5ms - it's not realistic.

You seem to have a very bizarre idea as to what defines gaming. I have no idea why you are so opposed to progress. Was HL2 a lesser game because it included physics and excellent lip-sync and facial animations? If you want to keep playing remakes of Doom then that's great but the rest of us who actually care about improving gaming will continue to expect more from engines than simply increasing the polygon count and rendering complexity.

28. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:45 Dev

deqer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:54:
Let's go back all the way to the year that Chess was invented. Chess is a great game, and you don't see us making such graphical improvements on it, because there is NO NEED.
Battle chess would disagree with you

27. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:03 wonkawonka

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 11:40:
So saying chess plays fine is an oxymoron. Chess is broken, play something better and worthwhile, then make an AI that can beat you at Go ;p

I agree, but the Bobby Fischer random chess variant fixes a lot of problems.

26. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:01 wonkawonka

reisub wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:43:
space captain wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:25:
...you cant have a good game without good graphics
So wrong.

+1. Case in point: Ultima V

25. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 11:40 eRe4s3r

Speaking of chess, I would actually bet some money that 99.9% of all under 18 year olds nowadays have never played a single game of chess. And good riddance, GO is superior and more fun and for education much more valuable, as it teaches grand strategies over short-term tactics much better, and the larger playing field allows disconnected battlefields that only later connect, something even more fun.

And better yet, AI's have not broken GO yet, unlike chess which is literally a broken game, a pure non-gimped AI plays win or draw 100% of the time against any skill set. So playing it against a computer is playing memory with 2 cards. There is no way to walk away from that game without feeling like you were handed a win. Which is why I never again touched a chess game. Once the AI can actually win no matter what, it is no longer a worthwhile game where skill comes into play. And if you set the AI lower, all you do is let the computer hand you a win. Nothing feels less worthwhile than that.

So saying chess plays fine is an oxymoron. Chess is broken, play something better and worthwhile, then make an AI that can beat you at Go ;p

24. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 10:55 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:09:
As always it comes down to how well developers implement such technology into games. There were some decent effects in there but does it address some of the most important limitations we see in games? Have they improved lip-syncing? Is AI able to anything more than simply running back and forth? Will enemies bleed out in a realistic way when you shoot or kill them? When characters reload or change weapon will the clips and weapons still appear out of nowhere? Are character animations still canned or responsive to items on the ground; can an impact knock the player off balance without being a canned sequence? Can a character put on or take off an item of clothing like a shirt? If you look down at your feet will you still spin on the spot when you turn? It's great that environments and characters look better but it seems that some significant aspects of game / engine design are being left behind, forgotten.

Until I see it in a game I couldn't care less, as there's no way of telling how much of that is realistic and how much is pre-rendered and impractical in a game. I don't see it as any better than engines like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3. The reason both HL and HL2 were so influential was because they revolutionised technology besides just graphics - HL had skeletal animations and revolutionary AI, while HL2 had physics and revolutionary lip-sync and character animations. Both games had good graphics but their main technical accomplishments were elsewhere.

Some of those are an absolute waste of processing power and developer manpower. Why do we need to accurately visually represent the clips a player has at all times, especially in a first person game. Why do we need realistic bleeding out, especially when we usually look at a dead enemy the first time we kill that type then, instead, run past them at full speed to either kill the guys next to him or get to the next group of guys to kill? Why should we dedicate the polygons to being able to take on or off clothing, and in how many games is that even a feature? Why should guys spin realistically when you look down at their feet (seriously, what would this add other than clunkiness? Who ever looks down at their feet and spins?)

Your ideas add realism, but most of it comes at a cost of processor time and very serious manpower time. Wouldn't you prefer someone work on a real feature of a game rather than how you spin while staring at your feet?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 10:25 Trevellian

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 05:13:
Why does it even matter what the Unreal 4 engine can do when Epic Games will have a CGI movie made with game assets in the game instead of real time?
Why does it matter when Epic no longer supports the PC, and the console's themselves currently can't even support the engine properly?

This. Wake me up when Epic makes the PC an exclusive game that is worthy of being on the PC. I remember being completely blown away the first time I played Unreal. Even the first time I played Unreal Tournament, hell, I was still impressed with UT2K4. The problem is. 2004 was the last time they were relevant to PC gamers as far as I'm concerned.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo