Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage

Though there has been no talk of follow-ups to RAGE since the release of id Software's first-person shooter, Bethesda's Pete Hines tells Eurogamer that it's "certainly our hope and certainly our intent" that this becomes a big franchise. "We're looking at doing some things with Rage. But obviously the first thing out of anybody's lips now when we talk about id is not, hey, what else is up with Rage? They're asking the question they've been asking for five years, six years, seven years, which is, where's Doom 4? What about Doom 4?," he explains. "As far as where we are with Rage, the future for that is still TBD." Along the way he addresses other recent rumors to some extent or another, saying DOOM 4 is still in development, and that he can't say whether Human Head has been removed as developer for Prey 2.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 18, 2012, 16:06 swaaye

I watched the Steam top sellers list on and off for Rage's status there after release. It started slipping fairly quick. Maybe it did better on consoles, but it certainly doesn't seem to have turned into any sort of popular phenomenon.

The most ridiculous aspect to Rage wasn't the game itself, but the astonishing communication fuck up between id and AMD. Clearly they had assumed AMD was on top of things and not months behind schedule with their OpenGL driver.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2012, 16:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 19:11 Jackplug

For me Rage is long gone and dead, mp was shit, gfx never worked and I returned it for my money back.

As for Doom 4, I think it will be just another fail like all the rest of their games since Quake!

63. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 12:20 Mad Max RW

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 11:00:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 16:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 16:09:
No matter how bad Rage was they still make more money on it than on licensing.

Considering they announced they wouldn't be licensing anymore starting with id Tech 5, that's not surprising.

(Happened after Zenimax bought them.)

Yeah, and they announced that because no one was going to license from them, so it looks better to say "oh, no one uses this because we didn't make it available" instead of "oh, no one uses this because no one wanted it."

It's not so much nobody wanted to license from them but John Carmack deliberately prices their tech so high because he was never interested in licensing in the first place.

62. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 11:00 Beamer

DrEvil wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 16:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 16:09:
No matter how bad Rage was they still make more money on it than on licensing.

Considering they announced they wouldn't be licensing anymore starting with id Tech 5, that's not surprising.

(Happened after Zenimax bought them.)

Yeah, and they announced that because no one was going to license from them, so it looks better to say "oh, no one uses this because we didn't make it available" instead of "oh, no one uses this because no one wanted it."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 10:08 Creston

It's funny just how quickly Rage has died off. Hollenshead was talking about all the "interesting" DLC they had planned for it, and it seems they've decided that maybe stirring the hornet's nest more wasn't such a smart idea.

In any case, I'll stay far the fuck away from anything Rage in the future. (I'd say the same for id in general, but I'll keep an eye on Doom 4. I think it's going to be a clunker like Rage, but maybe they'll surprise me.)

Creston

60. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 08:45 StingingVelvet

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:24:
Hate to rain on your parade, but Bethesda calls the shots since they bought id software.

Zenimax, to be fair, which is not the Bethesda most people associate with that title (though their publishing arm does also use the Bethesda name).

59. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 08:35 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 12:01:
I cringe every time I see comments about Rage saying it has a "great engine" and "looks gorgeous". It was designed for consoles, and is so completely outdated on PC that even the original Unreal engine is superior.

I'm guessing it actually looks good for an Xbox game because a lot of reviews said it had amazing graphics. Brad Shoemaker, who I normally like, went on and on about the graphics in his Xbox version review.

As for the game, it was really tired and felt like it was built by committee. I enjoyed it for a while but got tired of it's monotony. I wouldn't call it a disaster as some have, play a City Interactive FPS and then call Rage a disaster, but it was very disappointing.

58. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 02:37 ventry

Oh god.... Rage....
So... many.... invisible.... walls.....

FAIL.

57. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 00:35 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:25:
Id.

There goes the planet.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

56. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 00:25 Jerykk

Id.

55. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 23:51 PHJF

All right, close the thread. We've seen id, ID, and iD all in short order. If anyone comes in here with Id the planet will explode from concentrated stupidity.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

54. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 23:42 Dmitri_M

By the number of comments here if ID released a great Doom follow-up we'd all be snapping it up. It's sad really.

53. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 23:24 Mad Max RW

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:21:
I don't care what Bethesda think. I only care what iD software do.

Bring on more Rage stuff iD!

Hate to rain on your parade, but Bethesda calls the shots since they bought id software.

52. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 23:21 netnerd85

I don't care what Bethesda think. I only care what iD software do.

Bring on more Rage stuff iD!

51. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 22:31 Prez

I think one of id's problems is that it puts absolutely no effort into its games' plots. They only cares for engine building and give nary a thought to world building. Everyone says a pure shooter doesn't need a plot, and I tend to agree, but when you use your amazing tech to make visually beautiful world - be it open or linear - but don't give the player a meaningful context in the game world, it ends up feeling half-baked.

Even Borlderlands, a game with a theme similar to RAGE (and that certainly isn't going to win any awards for its writing or plot), infused the world with enough back story, interesting characters, and a somewhat interesting goal (finding the mythical "vault" on an alien planet) to give the player a feeling of belonging and purpose that RAGE was utterly devoid of. No one expects a deep mulithreaded plot with Quake, but pure shooters are pretty much extinct nowadays. Gamers expect a little more, even if only by gaming standards.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 23:27.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

50. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 22:05 eunichron

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:57:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:23:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:13:
It's only "inane" if you're a fucking retard and didn't closely follow Rage and DNF throughout release.
The difference was that people assumed DNF was going to be a turkey. RAGE was actually portrayed as a good game, yet upon release it became clear that id Software had actually lied to gamers.

Remember this? http://icrontic.com/article/why-id-softwares-rage-is-going-to-suck

It's fun going back and reading the stuff people said when these games were about to come out. So many people look like stupid assholes today, especially the DNF/Rage defenders who dominated websites and forums early on. A one year retrospective on the DNF community is hilarious.

I've been saying it for years... id doesn't make video games anymore, they make glorified tech demos. Hell, even RAGE wasn't that great as a tech demo. The megatexture/virtual texturing idea failed (having "unqiue" textures doesn't mean shit if they look like ass), and the rest of the lighting and effects aren't any better than what Frostbite 2 and CryENGINE 2 are currently doing. I would say id should just quit while they were ahead, but they haven't been ahead in a long time.

49. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 21:57 Mad Max RW

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:23:
It's only "inane" if you're a fucking retard and didn't closely follow Rage and DNF throughout release.
The difference was that people assumed DNF was going to be a turkey. RAGE was actually portrayed as a good game, yet upon release it became clear that id Software had actually lied to gamers.

Remember this? http://icrontic.com/article/why-id-softwares-rage-is-going-to-suck

It's fun going back and reading the stuff people said when these games were about to come out. So many people look like stupid assholes today, especially the DNF/Rage defenders who dominated websites and forums early on. A one year retrospective on the DNF community is hilarious.

48. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 21:23 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

47. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 21:20 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:04:
What the fuck is an id game WITHOUT AN END-GAME BOSS? Screw the glitchy visuals, *that* was my biggest disappointment with RAGE.
A game doesn't have to have an end-boss as long as the game is designed that way. The trouble is that RAGE was based around boss fights and there was even dialogue suggesting there would be another big-boss. Not only that but they gave you BFG rounds right at the end yet didn't give you any enemies to use them on. The first time around I hadn't fired a single one as I was expecting an end-boss; I had to load an earlier save just to try them out (big disappointment as well). It was clear that there was meant to be an end-boss but it was cut out of the game.

The co-op was also a disaster. All the levels were rehashed, the netcode was beyond appalling, it was buggy (missing textures), each level only lasted 5 mins before kicking you out to the main menu and it was completely out of character with the main game. It was clearly an after thought yet was hyped up as a main feature. Every single part of the game was half-baked. The only thing I found at all interesting was that you could specify which monitor you wanted the game to run on in-game, a feature all games should support yet don't.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

46. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 21:13 Mad Max RW

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 20:21:
What. The. Fuck. That is probably the most inane comparison that can be made.

It's only "inane" if you're a fucking retard and didn't closely follow Rage and DNF throughout release. Both games suffered from consolization. Both games were patched with the sole purpose of stopping PC gamers from making modifications or accessing the ingame cvars/console commands. Both were hugely overhyped and flopped miserably. Both games had the developers previewing user-friendly mod tools years before they were in stores. The singleplayer portions are rehashed watered down versions of what was done before, and multiplayer was tacked on in the last minute. Rage and DNF are practically twin brothers.

You know what's really pathetic? DNF still had two DLC packs and more patch support than Rage.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo