Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?

Rumors have emerged that Vivendi SA will be deciding the fate of Activision Blizzard at a senior executive meeting this month, reports Bloomberg, citing "people with knowledge of the matter." Word is: "The main scenario to be discussed is a sale of part or all of Vivendi’s 61 percent stake in Activision, the maker of “Call of Duty” with a market value of about $13 billion, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the meeting is private." Thanks GamesIndustry International.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 9, 2012, 02:01 Dades

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 13:57:
Already there are a dozen different fully functional farming bots, hundreds of pixel search capable scripts for things like AutoIT and AHK and the list goes on. You can AFK bot nearly a million gold an hour already and the botters will just get worse with the RMAH launch as they can potentially make money for doing nothing. So much for the security and stability defense from the usual suspects pre-release.

It's their own fault for making stupid item modifiers like increased Gold Find. People warned them on the forums in beta many times. I don't know what the fuck they thought people would do with that stat other than run bots 24/7.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 22:29 RollinThundr

killer_roach wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 19:21:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 17:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 15:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 14:19:
Oh God, please let them get away from Vivendi. Better yet, let Blizzard go back to being its own company. Either way it's probably better for my stock.

You are aware Blizzard hasn't been their "own company" since before they were Blizzard right?

Yeah, what I should have said is "Please let them go back to being an independently run studio owned by a company that lets them do things their way."

That Blizzard has long since been scattered to the four winds. What Blizzard is today is not the Blizzard of the 1990s - most of those people have left Blizzard even before Vivendi acquired Activision and tied Blizzard to them.

Pretty much when they shut down Blizzard North really and turned their focus to WoW. That Blizzard is long dead and buried. It isn't coming back.

42. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 19:21 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 17:48:
Oh God, please let them get away from Vivendi. Better yet, let Blizzard go back to being its own company. Either way it's probably better for my stock.

You are aware Blizzard hasn't been their "own company" since before they were Blizzard right?

Yeah, what I should have said is "Please let them go back to being an independently run studio owned by a company that lets them do things their way."

That Blizzard has long since been scattered to the four winds. What Blizzard is today is not the Blizzard of the 1990s - most of those people have left Blizzard even before Vivendi acquired Activision and tied Blizzard to them.

41. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 17:48 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 15:59 RollinThundr

39. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 14:49 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 14:36:
InBlack wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 04:53:
The kind that is impossible to explain to simpletons who clearly feel they need to hate for hate's sake alone. Diablo created a genre. You might not like the game or the genre, thats fine. But saying that Diablo = WoW clearly demonstrates either a lack of cognitive ability or a need to be an internet asshole.

Dude, you're talking with CJ. You realize that, right?

I laughed...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 14:36 Agent.X7

The kind that is impossible to explain to simpletons who clearly feel they need to hate for hate's sake alone. Diablo created a genre. You might not like the game or the genre, thats fine. But saying that Diablo = WoW clearly demonstrates either a lack of cognitive ability or a need to be an internet asshole.

Dude, you're talking with CJ. You realize that, right?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 14:35 Wookiestick

Well, CoD can only ride the wave for so long. Just like any other market plan for, say a MMORPG like WoW...
You can only release an addon/expansion/sequel with refined gameplay with success for so long. It climbs, plateaus, and then falls. WoW peaked around 2010 and has slowly lost revenue, though still remains profitable.
I personally think CoD has hit that middle point. Maybe that's why they are eying a sale of this nature. Sell it before it's value goes down in stock.

Love thy wookie.

36. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 14:19 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 13:57 Verno

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 11:05:
Any person putting a CC (or any "real" money) on the Diab-WoW RMAH has to be phucking crazy. The "fake money" AH is currently a disaster and hacking is already rampant in Diab-WoW today. Once "real money" comes into the equation the hackers will be going nuts to exploit the game.

Personally, I think the RMAH is a VERY bad idea, they should just stick to a in-game gold AH where it's fake and use it as a "trading post" so people can (IMHO cheat) buy gear instead of finding it organically in their game if that's what they want to do.

Well forget about the security side of it even, why would anyone attach real money value to these items when they know a botter can obtain it with little effort? The massive influx of gold in the economy is going to devalue these things, items will only be worth their relative value on gold selling websites at most I would imagine. A lot of the loot itself too is incredibly boring, people paid for a crazy rune or item in D2 due to rarity or power. There is little loot with that incentive in D3.

Already there are a dozen different fully functional farming bots, hundreds of pixel search capable scripts for things like AutoIT and AHK and the list goes on. You can AFK bot nearly a million gold an hour already and the botters will just get worse with the RMAH launch as they can potentially make money for doing nothing. So much for the security and stability defense from the usual suspects pre-release.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

34. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 12:01 Orogogus

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 10:15:

I dunno. I think Rogue created the genre. Diablo fit pretty well into that category. All it lacked was randomly created levels.

Diablo probably has more in common with Telengard, as well as DND on mainframes which predated that. Compared to Rogue it was more equipment and stat oriented, had more spells, didn't have the randomly assigned scrolls and potions which are common in Rogue and Roguelikes, had a store level, didn't assign commands to every key on the keyboard, and it was real time. Rogue probably introduced item identification, though.

33. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 11:05 Undocumented Alien

But I think the RMAH in D3 can probably tide them over while waiting for the next MMO of blizzard.

Any person putting a CC (or any "real" money) on the Diab-WoW RMAH has to be phucking crazy. The "fake money" AH is currently a disaster and hacking is already rampant in Diab-WoW today. Once "real money" comes into the equation the hackers will be going nuts to exploit the game.

Personally, I think the RMAH is a VERY bad idea, they should just stick to a in-game gold AH where it's fake and use it as a "trading post" so people can (IMHO cheat) buy gear instead of finding it organically in their game if that's what they want to do.

32. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 10:15 Silicon Avatar

I dunno. I think Rogue created the genre. Diablo fit pretty well into that category. All it lacked was randomly created levels.

31. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 09:28 InBlack

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 08:55:

I don't think it's too far a stretch to say they tried super hard to "WoWify" Diablo 3. Always on, RMAH, WoW feely itermization.

Yes they did, but they also failed at that. The community will have none of it (apart from the AH) At least they are moving away from it in the upcoming patches at the insistence of the community.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 09:16 Ahumado

I can see all you girls need to spend less time with your gear...beat you won't get that either  

29. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 08:55 RollinThundr

I don't think it's too far a stretch to say they tried super hard to "WoWify" Diablo 3. Always on, RMAH, WoW feely itermization.

28. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 08:27 NewMaxx

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 22:53:
Point taken about the waning of the two major properties, WoW and CoD, but jeez, it's not like their profit potential is going to drop to zero instantly. With WoW still having 10 million + subscribers and the kids still buying CoD 20XX every year without fail, why not ride the wave for as long as you can? Of course even if true, this only means they are just testing the waters right now. An actual deal would be years down the road.

Leaks are very often, if not more often than not, intentional. This one enables some bracing on the part of investors and shareholders while simultaneously sending a message to specific employees. It lays the groundwork for future layoffs and the "reorganization" of departments. In modern business, it's similar to the old "resign or be fired" method often used on executives. I'd say this is a blatant example, actually, and is unexpected due to the nature and value of the subject.

27. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 07:43 Tim Collins

People over at Blizzard are SUPER lazy, they milked that damn thing for years...they actually made the games LESS fun over the years....starcraft, warcraft, diablo....they murdered these franchises via the ol moneygrab....now their getn sold.....what a suprise....

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 07:48.

26. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 05:21 Kajetan

Arithon wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 05:11:
Now the end of the milk run is in sight and the other farmers are gettin' cold feet...
Where is this end, thou speakest of? WoW is still not only the biggest MMO, it is still THE biggest MMO. Other companies are glad they would have those numbers WoW lost as paying customers. And CoD sells like hotcakes with no sign of diminishing revenue.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2012, 06:54.

25. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 05:11 Arithon

A smarter company would have spent some of the money from WoW and CoD to make new IP's and build a large and varied set of development studios, but not Activision. No way. They just milked the cash-cow and pocketed the money.
Now the end of the milk run is in sight and the other farmers are gettin' cold feet...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo