Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FTL Closed Beta This Month

Plot is Gameplay's Bitch has word from Tom Jubert (Penumbra) that he's been working on FTL: Faster Than Light, the upcoming spaceship simulation/roguelike-like game that had an extremely successful Kickstart. Tom informs us we should expect closed beta testing of the game to begin this month. Also, the FTL Website offers a recent pre-beta video #5.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 23:46 Dmitri_M

To be fair to the FTL guys, they originally only asked for 10 000. They got 200 000. For 10 000 I'm sure they never expected to upgrade the graphics.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 12:11 Orogogus

Graphics may be low on their priority list. Toady, the Dwarf Fortress guy, has basically no interest in working on graphics (or the interface), so if you gave him $200K he'd probably use it to better model plant root structures or erosion effects from local semi-arid climate conversion after large scale deforestation. To find out what they're working on you'd probably have to go to their forums, unless they keep up a blog.  

22. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 11:53 eRe4s3r

Mhh, that's a good point. I guess that just means I have to be even more targeted at kickstarting stuff that really USES more funding for MORE game. I could find no info in their FAQ what happens when funding is above the goal. So I guess you are right.. wow, I never even realized this. I always thought when projects go above their requested money they are obliged to actually create a game worth that much money. But that certainly explains why this game, despite 200k $ still looks like .. an old dos game. They just don't (have) to give a shit to improve it, why should they? If they finish it with 150k left over they made 150$ profit before even finishing a game. ~.~

Wow, that can't be how this is supposed to work.

21. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 11:29 Ceribaen

Except for the fact that you are getting a defined return on your investment.
So if you put in your 15 to get a final copy... And they deliver...
I don't think they you have any more expectation past that.

I think it really is more pre-sales than it is investing, as each level gives you defined returns.

So it's up to the developer to decide if their goal should be a break even point, or a certain level of profit to make it worth to develop.

20. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 09:47 eRe4s3r

Actually this is what confuses the hell out of me. Kickstarter is nothing but a publisher in a sense. Invest money to make product. But they refuse to take the responsibility of a Publisher (that is, financial oversight, project management at least in barest sense)

Nobody at Kickstarter controls how the money is used. So what happens when money is left over at the end? Because imo it is not property of the devs. The funding was specific and VERY specific even in that it is only for that 1 project. Nobody has the right to use that money for anything but that 1 project.

19. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 09:11 Xil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 08:39:
Mhhh, that is actually a good point. But we if think like that how could Kickstarter be possibly legal? Investments work like this -> You tell me what you are gonna do Y with X money, I give you X money and you do Y. Kickstarter breaks this by the fact that you can get more money than you asked for.

If this is an Investment in the legal sense you *could* force them. Or Kickstarter could, to be more exact.

maybe kickstater could but only if they added an option like: this will run for X days OR until it's funded.

if they said at 150k we will do this then of course they basicly up their "ask for amount" and have to spend the 150k,
but as it is now, how can you force someone to spend 20 times more then he asked for if they can't stop the people pledging

but yes its a totally new ball game

18. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 08:39 eRe4s3r

Mhhh, that is actually a good point. But we if think like that how could Kickstarter be possibly legal? Investments work like this -> You tell me what you are gonna do Y with X money, I give you X money and you do Y. Kickstarter breaks this by the fact that you can get more money than you asked for.

If this is an Investment in the legal sense you *could* force them. Or Kickstarter could, to be more exact.

17. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 08:13 Xil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 07:32:
Kickstarters are not sales, they are project bound investments. So yeah.. actually they do have to put ALL that money into development, there is literally 0 profit in that. It'd be pretty silly if not and it'd even be fraud if they come away from a funding project with 190k$ profit that they.. not use for the game.

I don't see how that can be right, they asked for 10k, they can't help it they got 20 times that much and you can't force them to spend that extra on the game just because more people funded then expected. Yes if they asked for 200k then your right, but they did not.

16. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 07:49 eRe4s3r

My expectations might be unrealistic, but they are not unfounded. There have been plenty of Indy games that improved post launched everything, including graphics.  

15. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 07:35 JaguarUSF

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:10:
When they said polish I figured as in on par with Braid or Bastion, unique art-style, superb music, and that...

Really? When games release videos to the public, those are the graphics that are being used. I've never seen a game, especially an indie one, show video content and then drastically improve the graphics between then and release. Improving the graphics would likely result in a complete rewrite of the code and delay release for a year. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

14. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 07:32 eRe4s3r

Kickstarters are not sales, they are project bound investments. So yeah.. actually they do have to put ALL that money into development, there is literally 0 profit in that. It'd be pretty silly if not and it'd even be fraud if they come away from a funding project with 190k$ profit that they.. not use for the game.

Actually, I'd be HUGELY interested seeing what these 200k$ went to. That's the real problem with kickstarter, there is no accountability. And at least for this game I am not seeing it, 4 people working 3 or 6 months do not even remotely cost 200k$

My point is merely, that for this game I'd really want to see what they spend the money really on. Because the bullet points they listed where for 10k $ (and that I agree) hence my asking where the other 190k$ went into...

13. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 06:36 Xil

well their original goal was 10k, they got 200k, that simply means they sold a lot more then they expected but does not mean they must spend those 200k.

if a normal funded game sells more then was needed to make it we call it profit, I don't see the difference with a kickstarter game unless it's stated if we reach 200k we will do (for example) linux because doing that costs us 190k

12. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 06:14 Iurand

Dev wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:58:
Sugarman wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:15:
How does stuff that looks like this get almost instant funding, and really good titles like "Nexus 2" can't even get to 1/4 of it's goal.
I think it was a combination of things, but probably timing was a big part of it. They also didn't use kickstarter, they used something else entirely. They should try again on kickstarter, they might get lucky now after the big DF kickstarter.

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/news/omg-nexus-2-might-still-happen/

Also, stealth mission? That one with hiding behind rocks? Fucking amazing, loved it.

11. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 02:56 Sugarman

I'm sorry, was it a bit hard at times and had one hard mission that everyone bitched about. I'm so fed up with everyone judging it from the stealth mission, the rest of the game was so groundbreaking and insanely fun that the one hard part of the game had a minimal impact on my experience with it.  

10. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 00:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Dev wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:58:
How does stuff that looks like this get almost instant funding, and really good titles like "Nexus 2" can't even get to 1/4 of it's goal.
I think it was a combination of things, but probably timing was a big part of it. They also didn't use kickstarter, they used something else entirely. They should try again on kickstarter, they might get lucky now after the big DF kickstarter.
Maybe so. I never even heard about Nexus 2. I'm assuming it's a sequel to NtJI, which was pretty good, at least up until it became a just trial-and-error exercise to find a workable stealth approach. I remember that being about where I lost interest in what was otherwise a fun game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 23:58 Dev

8. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 23:15 Sugarman

7. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 23:10 eRe4s3r

Well I don't want to be negative or trolling.. my point is merely that after 3 months the game still looks and sounds identical to before the funding. When they said polish I figured as in on par with Braid or Bastion, unique art-style, superb music, and that...

I guess that is not gonna happen with this one eh...

6. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 22:54 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:58:
All I can think of is.. what are those 200k $ going into?
It says what it goes to right on the kickstarter page:

Business Costs
Paying Our Sound Designer
Polish & Improvement

5. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 7, 2012, 22:52 Iurand

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 22:23:
4 employees doing what?

Content?

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >