Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC

Those used to unusual game plans from Peter Molyneux will not be disappointed by the write-up on New Scientist about what the Populous creator is up to. They outline what's up at 22 Cans, saying his new company plans 22 experiments "designed to explore the psychology of social-media users" in preparation for a fuller game based in these data (thanks Develop). Here's word on the first project, a PC/Mac game called Curiosity, which will feature a 50,000 piece of DLC and apparently zero gameplay:

The first experiment, "Curiosity", puts players in a virtual room containing a single black cube. Players tap away at the cube, causing it to fracture and shed tiny layers from the surface. Other fractures also appear because everyone playing the game is tapping away at the same black cube.

After an undivulged, large number of taps, the cube will open, revealing something "truly amazing, absolutely unique", says Molyneux. The twist is that only the player who performs the final tap will get to see inside the cube, and 22Cans will study how news of the revelation spreads. "We will rely entirely on social media," explains Molyneux. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment."

Before the cube opens, a second phase of the experiment will be launched. Players will then be able to purchase one of a limited number of chisels to amplify their tapping strength. These range from a iron chisel, costing 59 pence, that is 10 times more powerful than just tapping alone, to a diamond chisel that is 100,000 times as powerful. Again, there is a twist: Molyneux will only sell one diamond chisel - and it will cost 50,000. "It's an insane amount of money," he admits, but the aim is to see whether pure curiosity will drive one player, or a syndicate of players assembled through social media, to buy the chisel. "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

11. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:42 Beamer

I kind of love the concept of only one person seeing what's inside, and waiting and seeing how long it spreads. Honestly, unless this is a sensation there's a good chance it doesn't, that some bored grandmother sees the naked pictures of Bea Arthur and just shrugs and forgets.

I kind of love the idea of that thing everyone needs to chisel, too.

But, given that this is the ONLY gameplay, I don't see people caring enough to do this, so I see them having to drastically cut the number of chips.

Also, I love the idea about testing the psychology of monetisation, because that kind of stuff is fascinating from a simple creative problem solving aspect, but this is just dumb. There are otehr, less blatant ways to do it. What do you learn from being this obvious?
On the plus side, this sounds like it'll take a week to program and that the diamond chisel will make back all their cash...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:32 Illumin

There will be one guy doing it for about a year. Then when the cube breaks one of those "scary" pictures of a Ghoulie or some other low budget monster, will jump up on the screen with the volume blasting. Then guy will be pissed he wasted a year of his life and 50k. He will tweat "it was a fucking Ghoulie" and everyone will be like Huh? Because no one cares. /end of experiment.  

9. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 gaju123

Talk about an utterly nutty guy. I really wish he would just STOP with all these idiotic ideas and actually do something unique instead of something useless.
The more the media focuses on him, the more my impression of him (which wasn't all that good to begin with, considering ALL of his games tanked hard) goes down the gutter.

8. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 Cutter

Hubris.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:16 MadBoris

Are children (however old) getting easier to manipulate by this media?

Absolutely!

No reason to manipulate them to see if they can be manipulated.
Reminds me of the human experiments of the CIA.

It's funny how publishers have been growingly treating gamers as little more than lab rats to be manipulated for their income for the past ten years, but the willfully ignorant gamer only deserves that level of control.

6. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:14 HorrorScope

The saddest news is there probably will be some mega-rich person that just might buy it. He says it shows the psychology, to me it would show people with more money then they know what to do with it. My curiosity doesn't come into play as I couldn't afford it to begin with.

Does a diamond guarantee the cube will burst for you? Good lol's if it doesn't to the sap that buys one.

5. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:13 nin

Was this supposed to be posted at theonion.com?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:12 Moog

/yawn  

3. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:12 justice7

Mr Molyneux has proven that he believes gamers are dopey sheep. This is yet another failing on his part. What has he ever done right, and why do we keep listening to his babbling?  

2. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:08 Verno

"This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

When the cube opens up it shows the last season of Lost! Dude has lost his marbles, this doesn't even sound remotely interesting or enjoyable.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

1. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:06 Trevellian

Fucking dumbest thing I've ever heard. He really has lost his mind.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo