Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC

Those used to unusual game plans from Peter Molyneux will not be disappointed by the write-up on New Scientist about what the Populous creator is up to. They outline what's up at 22 Cans, saying his new company plans 22 experiments "designed to explore the psychology of social-media users" in preparation for a fuller game based in these data (thanks Develop). Here's word on the first project, a PC/Mac game called Curiosity, which will feature a £50,000 piece of DLC and apparently zero gameplay:

The first experiment, "Curiosity", puts players in a virtual room containing a single black cube. Players tap away at the cube, causing it to fracture and shed tiny layers from the surface. Other fractures also appear because everyone playing the game is tapping away at the same black cube.

After an undivulged, large number of taps, the cube will open, revealing something "truly amazing, absolutely unique", says Molyneux. The twist is that only the player who performs the final tap will get to see inside the cube, and 22Cans will study how news of the revelation spreads. "We will rely entirely on social media," explains Molyneux. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment."

Before the cube opens, a second phase of the experiment will be launched. Players will then be able to purchase one of a limited number of chisels to amplify their tapping strength. These range from a iron chisel, costing 59 pence, that is 10 times more powerful than just tapping alone, to a diamond chisel that is 100,000 times as powerful. Again, there is a twist: Molyneux will only sell one diamond chisel - and it will cost £50,000. "It's an insane amount of money," he admits, but the aim is to see whether pure curiosity will drive one player, or a syndicate of players assembled through social media, to buy the chisel. "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 12:13 theyarecomingforyou

I'm all for developers looking into the psychology of gaming and creating innovative and compelling gameplay as a result. I'm not in favour of developers creating psychological experiments in order to find out how to better monetise gaming experiences (read: exploit gamers).  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 12:02 Alamar

I didn't read the thread, but am I the only person that wants to be the 'cube opener' and then keep it to myself? : )

-Alamar

29. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:44 Jivaro

nin wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 10:13:
Was this supposed to be posted at theonion.com?

That was the first thing that went through my mind. This sounds exactly like something they would come up with tho mess with Molyneux. The fact that it is actually real is.........hilarious.

28. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:37 Necrophob

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 11:27:
So, are you really "playing" a "game" at this point? All you're doing is clicking on a cube...

Maybe I'll tap away at this cube a few times just to see what it's all about, but only if I can do so for free. If I happen to open it? Well I ain't sharing CRAP! Just to spite you Mr. Moneybags. Oops, I mean Mr. Molyneux.

Blizzard has made a genre of games whose entire basis is clicking on crap for a possible, underwhelming reward. Let's see if Molyneux tries Auction Houses next.

27. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:33 Minuit

Are we sure this was an idea from Peter MolyNeux? It sounds like something from @PeterMolydeux.

26. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:31 Atomic

This is interesting to me, but only from this perspective. He has gone from making games that people play to games that play people. He's gone from creating god-games to being a god over gamers.

"Look at what I can make my lemmings do!"

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

25. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:27 Shineyguy

So, are you really "playing" a "game" at this point? All you're doing is clicking on a cube...

Maybe I'll tap away at this cube a few times just to see what it's all about, but only if I can do so for free. If I happen to open it? Well I ain't sharing CRAP! Just to spite you Mr. Moneybags. Oops, I mean Mr. Molyneux.

24. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:17 NegaDeath

Peter I love your old games. I really do.

But please leave the industry. Please.

This is assuming you aren't a mirror universe goatee'd evil duplicate of the REAL Molyneux, in which case I request you switch dimensions instead.

23. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:15 LurkerLito

"This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

In other words, it's only a test now, so you can screw gamers later with in game monetization on your next project. Yeah thanks but no thanks. Pay to win games suck.

I'd rather see someone hack the experiment to invalidate the results.

22. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 11:15 Prez

ASeven wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 10:42:

I think Molyneux finally, really lost it. Oh how I wish he became the same Molyneux that made Populous and Powermonger and Syndicate, you know, an actual sane person.

LOL, yeah. Ole' Pete has certainly gotten weirder and weirder as time has gone on.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:11 xXBatmanXx

"This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

Bullshit statement of the year.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:02 Shok

I'd like to tap on his head with a diamond chisel.  

19. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:02 Kajetan

"Honest, believe me, this is not a money-making exercise ... "

... says the snake oil salesman.

18. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:02 AngelicPenguin

Too late guys, I already pre-ordered the diamond chisel. Better luck next time, suckers!  

17. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:01 deadearth

I think a lot of you are overestimating social networking users. See for an example:

Cow clicking story @ npr.org

If people flocked to click on cows, don't know why they won't flock to click on a cube.

16. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:01 fela

This could be some epic (or lame) trolling on his part.  

15. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:00 Bill Borre

It's amazing that this guy actually made a few good games.  

14. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 10:51 Yakubs

Has Molyneux never heard of this amazing new technology known only as the "screen shot" ?  

13. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 10:49 Wowbagger_TIP

I can't imagine much of anything besides a huge amount of cynicism driving this idea. It's like some kind of blatantly obvious experiment to generate data that will help them figure out more efficient ways to separate gamers from their money. Fuck you Peter.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 10:42 ASeven

I think Molyneux finally, really lost it. Oh how I wish he became the same Molyneux that made Populous and Powermonger and Syndicate, you know, an actual sane person.

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo