Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC

Those used to unusual game plans from Peter Molyneux will not be disappointed by the write-up on New Scientist about what the Populous creator is up to. They outline what's up at 22 Cans, saying his new company plans 22 experiments "designed to explore the psychology of social-media users" in preparation for a fuller game based in these data (thanks Develop). Here's word on the first project, a PC/Mac game called Curiosity, which will feature a £50,000 piece of DLC and apparently zero gameplay:

The first experiment, "Curiosity", puts players in a virtual room containing a single black cube. Players tap away at the cube, causing it to fracture and shed tiny layers from the surface. Other fractures also appear because everyone playing the game is tapping away at the same black cube.

After an undivulged, large number of taps, the cube will open, revealing something "truly amazing, absolutely unique", says Molyneux. The twist is that only the player who performs the final tap will get to see inside the cube, and 22Cans will study how news of the revelation spreads. "We will rely entirely on social media," explains Molyneux. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment."

Before the cube opens, a second phase of the experiment will be launched. Players will then be able to purchase one of a limited number of chisels to amplify their tapping strength. These range from a iron chisel, costing 59 pence, that is 10 times more powerful than just tapping alone, to a diamond chisel that is 100,000 times as powerful. Again, there is a twist: Molyneux will only sell one diamond chisel - and it will cost £50,000. "It's an insane amount of money," he admits, but the aim is to see whether pure curiosity will drive one player, or a syndicate of players assembled through social media, to buy the chisel. "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 10, 2012, 16:48 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 08:55:
It doesn't even necessarily make it more likely. Unless you're tapping at the very end it just speeds up the time everyone gets there. If you're tapping 24/7 then it does increase your chances, but paying $50,000 for something that increases your odds by 100,000 in the event that you're playing at the right time...
Yep, for instance if there were 100,001 taps left and you pop that diamond chisel, now there's 1 tap left, and a random guy in nigeria happens to tap it before you can hit the key again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 9, 2012, 00:46 Prez

It's hard to think of anyone from whom something "truly amazing, absolutely unique" inspires less anticipation.

Ain't that the truth. The guy shits hyperbole out of his mouth like breathing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 12:42 space captain

or he is performing an experiment to see how long it takes pirates to break into his shit and really fuck him over  
Go forth, and kill!

68. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 12:23 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 11:53:
When does this start to fall under gambling regulations?

There would be a stronger argument if there were an entry fee, and the prize was known to be $100K instead of just something Peter Molyneux promises is super awesome, which he wants to see spread via social media. It's hard to think of anyone from whom something "truly amazing, absolutely unique" inspires less anticipation. I can see the SomethingAwful and Cracked photoshop contests already.

67. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 11:53 HorrorScope

When does this start to fall under gambling regulations?  

66. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 08:55 Beamer

Jackplug wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 03:29:
Paying £50,000 on a diamond chisel doesnt guarantee you the final tap! So anyone who buys anything, has just the same amount of chance as everyone else who doesn't buy anything. What peter is doing, psychologically looking at minds of todays mmo gamers. I mean who in their right mind would pay £50k for something that has no value. This is what ppl are doing everyday on online gaming, not all at once, but over a period of time.

Well, it's not "pay to win" so of course it doesn't guarantee the final tap.
It doesn't even necessarily make it more likely. Unless you're tapping at the very end it just speeds up the time everyone gets there. If you're tapping 24/7 then it does increase your chances, but paying $50,000 for something that increases your odds by 100,000 in the event that you're playing at the right time...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 08:53 Jonjonz

Sad to see someone who once created value, now descend into the tawdry world of gambling with a sprinkling of social media on the top.

64. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 08:16 Mr. Tact

Apologies in advance, I'm not going to bother to read the other posts. I just wanted to say, I'd love to "play" this with some type of bot or script using minimal investment and win -- I would then tell absolutely no one what happened.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

63. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 04:27 InBlack

I wanted to add something to this discussion but I find that Im struck speechless by this...whatever this fucking shit is.  

I have a nifty blue line!

62. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 03:31 DangerDog

Peter at E3

http://i.minus.com/dGZKYZw9Jrm1h/untitled-2nyjrc.gif

maybe he should make it a $78k fist pump instead of a chisel.

61. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 03:29 Jackplug

Paying £50,000 on a diamond chisel doesnt guarantee you the final tap! So anyone who buys anything, has just the same amount of chance as everyone else who doesn't buy anything. What peter is doing, psychologically looking at minds of todays mmo gamers. I mean who in their right mind would pay £50k for something that has no value. This is what ppl are doing everyday on online gaming, not all at once, but over a period of time.  

60. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 23:20 HorrorScope

Sort of has that beezid.com vibe.  

59. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 22:57 Dev

.net_Drifter wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 22:17:
Since this isn't really about the money, I'm going to assume that when the experiment is done and over with, he's refunding everyone, right?
Right?
AHAHHAHAHAAHAHAH
haha
HAHAAHAAHAAH

58. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 22:17 .Drifter

Since this isn't really about the money, I'm going to assume that when the experiment is done and over with, he's refunding everyone, right?
Right?

57. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 21:07 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 18:42:
Quboid wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 16:12:
Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 14:37:
Quboid wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 14:31:
There seems to be quite a few rather harsh people saying he's never made any good games. That's not true - he just hasn't made any good games this millennium.

So he's like id software.

That hurts. That hurts because it's true. Id software made me into a gamer, but the 90's was their decade. The 00's was Valves and the 10's are yet to be claimed.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Valve, and Steam was pretty revolutionary, but as far as game engines and game companies, the '00 decade, especially the second half, belonged to Epic. It's insane how many games were made with the Unreal engine.

True. I was thinking solely about the end result of what I personally played, and even then only in terms of FPS games. It's a meaningless, arbitrary label that just doesn't work. Oh well.

BTW, here's a photo of Molyneux announcing this:
http://i.minus.com/il1jaw.gif

- Quboid

56. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 19:06 Acleacius

DangerDog wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 15:12:
....."monetisation".....
More like molestation of the weak and desperate. What will a starving person will do to get food? What someone bleeding to death will do to get medical treatment to stop the bleeding?

Lot's of opportunities lay ahead for the genius that is molyneux!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

55. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 18:56 Bet

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 11:15:
ASeven wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 10:42:

I think Molyneux finally, really lost it. Oh how I wish he became the same Molyneux that made Populous and Powermonger and Syndicate, you know, an actual sane person.

LOL, yeah. Ole' Pete has certainly gotten weirder and weirder as time has gone on.
Laughing my ass off. The best part of this is that Blue's chronological search lets us refresh a large part of our collective memory of his descent into madness, kind of like a good book. Or should I say, excellent, top-notch game story?

54. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 18:42 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 16:12:
Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 14:37:
Quboid wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 14:31:
There seems to be quite a few rather harsh people saying he's never made any good games. That's not true - he just hasn't made any good games this millennium.

So he's like id software.

That hurts. That hurts because it's true. Id software made me into a gamer, but the 90's was their decade. The 00's was Valves and the 10's are yet to be claimed.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Valve, and Steam was pretty revolutionary, but as far as game engines and game companies, the '00 decade, especially the second half, belonged to Epic. It's insane how many games were made with the Unreal engine.

53. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 18:34 Beelzebud

So in other words he's given up making amazing games like Populous, and now just wants to use a team of marketing researchers, to figure out the most efficient way to get mice to hit the feeder bar, so that he can drain some bank accounts on worthless social media shit.

52. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 17:51 Ventura

Just goes to show how truly disappointing this years E3 is, when something like this makes the news.  

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo