Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls PC Port Issues

There are various quotes on Eurogamer where From Software explains the difficulty they are having porting Dark Souls to PCs. "To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now," says producer Daisuke Uchiyama. "In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now." He also admits that they are not including any PC optimizations, and have not been able to overcome the framerate issues the console versions exhibited in some areas. "In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC," he says. "However, in exchange for that, we have prioritised adding new content for both original players and new players."

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 21:28 Jerykk

Unlike Rage, the PC version of NV looks 10 times better, but played better on the 360 due to fewer bugs.

I seriously doubt that. The vast majority of bugs in FNV were related to scripting, collision, art or other data-based areas. These bugs existed in all versions of the game and were not platform-specific. The numerous official patches for FNV fixed many of these bugs, though many still remained. Thankfully, the community patches have since fixed the rest of the bugs. You should try it out: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104. For what it's worth, I played FNV on a 4870x2, which is even older than your cards. Running in Crossfire actually reduced my performance, which was unsurprising given ATI's lackluster drivers. Turning off Crossfire and running with a single GPU greatly improved my performance and the game ran fine and dandy.

Yes, I agree, most console games are better on the PC… but they are still dumbed down console ports!
I want a thriving PC market with original games that really push the limits, both in terms of graphics and gameplay… But it's not going to happen while every major developer is focused on the upcoming next-gen consoles.

I agree. In an ideal world, all games would be designed exclusively for hardcore PC gamers with high-end machines. However, given the rising costs of game development, that's never going to happen. Multiplatform development is here to stay.

If you don't like ports because you think they are inherently crap due to their console-centric nature, that's fine. However, if you say you don't like ports, then turn around and play those same games on consoles, that's just dumb. The PC versions retain the same core experience, only with better visuals, performance, controls and mods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 20:09 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:38:
Not really seeing your point. You claimed that next-gen consoles might be as powerful as high-end PC's.
Maybe you’ve mistaken me for a console fanboy… I am not.
I never said next-gen consoles would be equal in power to a high-end PC… they won’t be.
I simply said that it’s best to leave dumbed down console games for the consoles.

As for Rage, I wouldn’t have believed it either, but it plays better on my 360 than my $3K PC. Sure, my PC runs it at higher-res w/AA, but on my 360 I get a consistent, silky smooth 60fps.
Another is Fallout New Vegas… After preordering the PC collector’s edition and finding it to be a bug ridden mess, I bought a second copy for my 360 so I could play it. Unlike Rage, the PC version of NV looks 10 times better, but played better on the 360 due to fewer bugs.

Yes, I agree, most console games are better on the PC… but they are still dumbed down console ports!
I want a thriving PC market with original games that really push the limits, both in terms of graphics and gameplay… But it's not going to happen while every major developer is focused on the upcoming next-gen consoles.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 20:16.

61. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 09:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:38:
I've played Rage start to finish twice on a high-end PC and xbox...the 360 wins.

I'm pretty sure others would beg to differ. If you have a good system (with an Nvidia card), the latest drivers and the latest patch for RAGE, the PC version looks better than the Xbox version and runs equally well.

Yeah, I have no idea how the hell his comment could be true. The PC version can have higher assets with some tweaks, no pop-in, higher res and AA, mouse aim (or a pad if you wish), etc. etc... no way this is true.

Not really seeing your point. You claimed that next-gen consoles might be as powerful as high-end PC's. I explained why they won't be. If next-gen consoles aren't going to be as powerful as my PC, why would I abandon PC gaming? The PC versions of multiplatform games will still look, run and play better than the console versions.

Resident Evil 4, Saint's Row 2 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent are literally the only games I can think of where the console version is "better." Even with those, you can generally tweak RE4 to be a high-res, high-textured beauty with Xbox pad support, Saint's Row 2 got a fan patch that supposedly fixes all issues and Double Agent was just a glitch-fest, not worse in gameplay or visuals.

There are a lot of PC ports that are just high-res console versions, or which need to be played with a pad, but none of them are worse than playing on console. Actually they're all better, even if only slightly.

60. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 07:38 Jerykk

I've played Rage start to finish twice on a high-end PC and xbox...the 360 wins.

I'm pretty sure others would beg to differ. If you have a good system (with an Nvidia card), the latest drivers and the latest patch for RAGE, the PC version looks better than the Xbox version and runs equally well.

True, but who is going to make these mythical PC games you speak of? Who will use the untapped power of the PC? I hate to burst your bubble, but it won't be John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, or Tiago Sousa. Maybe Notch will come to the rescue? Many blame piracy, but the truth is, with the explosion of tablets and notebooks, there just aren't enough high-end desktops to support a fertile PC gaming market. And with the next-gen consoles on the horizon, PC gamers are going to be served up sloppy seconds for years to come.

Not really seeing your point. You claimed that next-gen consoles might be as powerful as high-end PC's. I explained why they won't be. If next-gen consoles aren't going to be as powerful as my PC, why would I abandon PC gaming? The PC versions of multiplatform games will still look, run and play better than the console versions.

I'm sorry but the argument that console games are best played on consoles is just silly. Your anecdotal experience with RAGE seems to be the entire foundation of your claim. You're conveniently ignoring the fact that 95% of PC ports are superior to their console counterparts. At the past few E3s, guess how many multiplatform games were shown on PC? Watch Dog, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Star Wars 1313, Far Cry 3, XCOM, Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, Battlefield 3... when publishers want to give the best showings of their games, they usually show the best version. In other words, the PC version.

59. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 05:05 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:40:
it's difficult to claim that the console version of RAGE is better than the PC version.

Not going to happen. With SLI/Crossfire, SSD RAID arrays, octocore CPUs and 16+ gigs of RAM, high-end PCs are exponentially more powerful than current consoles.
True, but who is going to make these mythical PC games you speak of? Who will use the untapped power of the PC? I hate to burst your bubble, but it won't be John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, or Tiago Sousa. Maybe Notch will come to the rescue? Many blame piracy, but the truth is, with the explosion of tablets and notebooks, there just aren't enough high-end desktops to support a fertile PC gaming market. And with the next-gen consoles on the horizon, PC gamers are going to be served up sloppy seconds for years to come.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 05:17.

58. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 00:09 Ant

No thanks. The game is supposed to be coded from the beginning for both ports.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

57. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 8, 2012, 23:40 Jerykk

However, most modern multi-platform games are designed for the consoles, and are not always better on the PC.

Fortunately, most ports are better on PC. With the latest patch and drivers, it's difficult to claim that the console version of RAGE is better than the PC version. The PC version is actually HD (in terms of screen resolution, at least) and runs at a constant 60 FPS. The console versions are 720p but also manage to run at 60 FPS, which is what id was focusing on. However, the vast majority of console games do not run at 60 FPS and almost all of the ones that do render at sub-720p resolutions. So even a barebones PC port offers the superior experience as long as it offers higher resolutions and framerates, which 99% of ports do.

Once the next-gen consoles are released, if they offer true 60fps anti-aliased 1080p gaming with all of DX11's bells and whistles, it could be a further death nail into PC gaming... at least for a while. But as a reluctant console gamer, I'm crossing my fingers for wireless keyboard and mouse support.

Not going to happen. With SLI/Crossfire, SSD RAID arrays, octocore CPUs and 16+ gigs of RAM, high-end PCs are exponentially more powerful than current consoles. Trying to match or surpass that performance in a console would be prohibitively expensive for console makers. From what various developers have suggested, the next-gen systems aren't going to be nearly as powerful as everyone thought. A definite improvement over the current generation but not in the same league as a high-end PC.

56. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 8, 2012, 18:44 JediPunisher

You wouldn't happen to have an ATI card, would you?

Yes, I played Rage on an i7-980x PC with dual 5850s, and was lucky to get 30fps regardless of resolution along with some very noticeable texture issues. A couple of months later, AMD's drivers had me at 60fps, with an occasional drop into the 40s. Later, I picked up the console version on sale, and was surprised how smoothly it ran on my 360. There is no doubt, Carmack designed Rage for consoles, with the PC just an afterthought.

You have to realize, I've been a die hard PC gamer for 20+ years, and was dragged in to console gaming kicking and screaming... In fact, I play console games at my desk on my PC monitor. However, most modern multi-platform games are designed for the consoles, and are not always better on the PC.

Once the next-gen consoles are released, if they offer true 60fps anti-aliased 1080p gaming with all of DX11's bells and whistles, it could be a further death nail into PC gaming... at least for a while. But as a reluctant console gamer, I'm crossing my fingers for wireless keyboard and mouse support.

55. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 22:48 Jerykk

Rage plays better, has fewer texture issues, and a better overall frame rate on my 360 than high-end PC.

You wouldn't happen to have an ATI card, would you? And when was the last time you tried the game on PC? There were a bunch of issues at launch but I think they've all been sorted out by now.

Yes, but with the proper tweaks, Crysis DX10 > Crysis 2 DX11.

Agreed. However, both Crysis and Crysis 2 PC > Crysis and Crysis 2 console, so I'm not really seeing how this helps your point.

In my experience, it's usually best to play any multiplatform game on PC, unless the port is absolutely terrible. Even a barebones port is better than playing the same game on consoles.

54. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 22:17 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:39:
Why would you ever choose to play the game on console..? The only reason to do that would be if the port was so utterly horrible that it actually looked and played worse on PC, which almost never happens.
One word... Rage.
Rage plays better, has fewer texture issues, and a better overall frame rate on my 360 than high-end PC.

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:39:
Also, Crysis 2 PC + DX11 patch + high-res texture pack >>>>>>> console Crysis 2.
Yes, but with the proper tweaks, Crysis DX10 > Crysis 2 DX11.

53. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 20:39 Jerykk

JediPunisher wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:30:
So, the PC gets sloppy seconds again... Does it really surprise anyone?
I've found that it's usually best to play console games on a console, and PC games (what few there are) on a PC.

Speaking of PC games, in a recent E3 interview, Crytek promised to win back PC gamers by really pushing the limit this time with Crysis 3.
Good news, since Crysis 2 suffered from a bad case of consolitis, complete with DX9 graphics (although a disappointing DX11 patch was released months later).

I've never really understood this logic. Even a mediocre port will look and run better on PC than on console. It's the same core game, only with an enhanced presentation. Why would you ever choose to play the game on console..? The only reason to do that would be if the port was so utterly horrible that it actually looked and played worse on PC, which almost never happens.

Also, Crysis 2 PC + DX11 patch + high-res texture pack >>>>>>> console Crysis 2.

52. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 20:30 JediPunisher

So, the PC gets sloppy seconds again... Does it really surprise anyone?
I've found that it's usually best to play console games on a console, and PC games (what few there are) on a PC.

Speaking of PC games, in a recent E3 interview, Crytek promised to win back PC gamers by really pushing the limit this time with Crysis 3.
Good news, since Crysis 2 suffered from a bad case of consolitis, complete with DX9 graphics (although a disappointing DX11 patch was released months later).

51. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 20:13 wtf_man

Well... I don't buy shitty ports.

I'd rather have a good port without the extra content.

So... fuck 'em.

/shrug

50. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 18:55 Jdrez

Orogogus wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:53:
I think they are focusing on the console crowd. Like they said, they're Japanese, and for whatever reason there's no PC game market there. But people clamored and ran petitions begging for a Windows port, so they're trying. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch.

Typing of the Dead was a pretty weak port (ALT+F4 to quit), but it's still one of my favorite games. Hopefully they won't charge much.

EDIT: It's pretty analogous to Linux and Mac ports, and that one guy who keeps bitching when a Linux port is just running through a Wine wrapper (or something). The alternative is buying hardware if you want to play the game.

There's no PC market in Japan because hardly anyone uses a PC, and if they do, it's many years outdated.

The Japanese generally do almost everything on their cellphones.

49. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:39 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 13:32:
It might, if said user had both a PS3 and a PC (and didn't have the game yet). And if that's how it always went down then that would be that much more in favor of PCs over consoles. Except that this is a Japanese company, and in their home market hardly anyone games on a home desktop PC, but eh.

It's a PC product being sold to an international audience so none of that really means anything to most of the people who will buying it IMO. I respect that they listened to the petition, unfortunately they don't seem to understand how to deliver a PC product but time will tell. On one hand I hope it sells well because I like the franchise but on the other I think companies should get burned for trying to do almost less than the bare minimum.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

48. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:32 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 13:17:
I doubt getting some light DLC a month early or having $10 off the price will offset that for most users.

It might, if said user had both a PS3 and a PC (and didn't have the game yet). And if that's how it always went down then that would be that much more in favor of PCs over consoles. Except that this is a Japanese company, and in their home market hardly anyone games on a home desktop PC, but eh.

47. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:22 Omni

30 fps, Beep Beep I'm a jeep.  

46. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:17 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 13:08:
They're offering the same product as it runs on PS3, with the exclusive content a few months early

No one cares how it runs on the PS3, they want it ported adequately to the PC so that it runs acceptably and contains even the bare minimum of graphical options as this is a platform that inherently requires more tweaking due to the wide range of hardware represented. I doubt getting some light DLC a month early or having $10 off the price will offset that for most users.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

45. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:08 theglaze

Silly Japanese, I guess the tsunami washed away rational thought too.  

44. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:08 Orogogus

There was one guy here put off by the lack of exclusive PC content, but no, it's not the general complaint.

They're offering the same product as it runs on PS3, with the exclusive content a few months early. It will probably be $10 cheaper or maybe more if they're aware of the usual pricing for ports. If every game had at least this as a baseline there'd be that much less reason to own a console.

If they follow Capcom's lead then they'll just get better at it over time; or, if they follow Square's lead, they'll just dump the PC altogether.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo