Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack's VR Headset

There's a John Carmack video interview on PC Gamer talking with the id Software Technical Director about the virtual reality headset he is demonstrating behind closed doors at E3, an interestingly similar thrust to his former colleague Michael Abrash's work on wearable computing. This is a prototype built by someone else that's similar to a device of Carmack's making that was not ready for the show (for months his Twitter feed has included comments about refresh rates and small screens to the extent that they now seem like obvious clues about this). Here's Mr. Carmack's take on this:

For a certain part of the hacker/maker crowd, this is going to be awesomely cool to work with, because there is honest to god cutting edge research to be done on the ergonomics, the focusing adjustment, software integration with other titles. These are things that people can do in their workshop that can make a difference in the next twelve months and yes, somebody big is going to turn this in to a real product in the coming years.

View
21. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 09:54 Rigs

RailWizard wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:27:
No. It's a gimick and it's even worse than 3d. 3D is backwards compatible with everything more or less, VR isn't. You won't be playing any of our FPS's with it, or if you do, you will suck hard. A little common sense is all it takes...your head movement is going to replace the mouse? lol ok.

So all of us who play the DCS sims and rFactor/GTR/iRacing and use TrackIR are just chumps? Don't knock it 'til you try it, bud...

I recently had to play A-10 without my TrackIR, since I loaned it to a friend for a few days weeks (grrrr...), and I felt naked and clumsy, like a noob...Now, if we can get some decent res out of these headsets, then I'm all for it! Sure beats the shit out of '3D', which only gives me a massive headache. Fully realized VR? Probably not in my lifetime, though my daughter might eventually have a kickin' setup in a few decades...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jun 6, 21:54 Re: John Carmack's VR Headset HorrorScope
  2. Jun 6, 21:55  Re: John Carmack's VR Headset MattyC
  3. Jun 6, 22:06   Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Orogogus
  5. Jun 6, 23:23  Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Frijoles
  4. Jun 6, 22:09 Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Kastagir
  6. Jun 6, 23:30 Re: John Carmack's VR Headset DangerDog
  8. Jun 7, 00:52  Re: John Carmack's VR Headset cronik
  12. Jun 7, 03:48  Re: John Carmack's VR Headset pagb
  7. Jun 6, 23:53 Re: John Carmack's VR Headset entr0py
  9. Jun 7, 01:27  Re: John Carmack's VR Headset RailWizard