Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead State Kickstarter

This Kickstarter looks to raise funds for Dead State, an upcoming zombie-themed survival/horror RPG from DoubleBear Productions (thanks Cliff), an indie developer founded by Brian Mitsoda (Black Isle, Troika, and Obsidian - writer/designer for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines) and Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda (Obsidian, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir). Here's a bit on the game:

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 14:44 Elessar

They had me up until turned based.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 11:23 ASeven

As someone who has followed this game since the start, it can be described easily:

It's a true sandbox zombie apocalypse RPG from day z until you die. No linearity in here, just pure sandbox.

17. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

jdwohlever wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 07:54:
God, I miss the day when developers cared more about making the game they WANT to make instead of making the game they NEED to make.

I was going to rip into the rest of your post, but I'm just going to assume you were being silly with all the crazy exaggerations and incorrect 'facts'...

But this... Let's think about for a minute... Most game developers are gamers; in fact, I would dare say 90%+, including the 'business' people.

So is it really so hard to imagine that actual fans of wildly successful games, that are more of the same, like Call of Dooty, want to make more of those games?

Granted, not everyone at just about any game company is working on a game they want, but that's the nature of having a job; at least they're working with some cool shit : )

-Alamar

16. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 10:16 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 04:02:
It's X-COM + Fallout + zombies. Sounds good to me.

Well everyone is different, I don't really like strategy games other than Civ.

15. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 09:54 Chromius

Make sure to check the link, this is not just "another" zombie game.

Sort of Fallout/Xcom with survival RPG. I have not really played any zombie games other than Dayz mod and Dead Island (never finished) but this one stands out for me. Im in.. (watches savings trickle away.)

Now the economy just needs to hold together till this and Wasteland 2 are complete.

14. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 08:49 nin

Really, another zombie game?

Did you watch the video at all?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 08:48 Sepharo

But zombie games... there's so many of them... Raagghh!  

12. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 08:36 Ray Ban

jdwohlever wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 07:54:

No, it's not another zombie game. Read the game description. The zombies are not the main attraction here, just background noise.

When they started their project it was still early days for the zombie craze. If they had known how bad it would get, they would've gone for a different setting.

All too often it's "Shoot first, RTFA later ..."

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

11. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 07:54 jdwohlever

I've been gaming for 30+ years and developers all do the same crap...
Bleat like f'ing sheep!

First it was C&C RTS clones in the early 90's, WWII games in the mid to late 90's. 50 billion of them to the point people got sick of them.
Then in mid 2000's it was MODERN warfare games, now every since Left for Dead made some money it's been Zombie games.
/sarcasm Oooh yes.. Slow, half-retarded limping enemies that a hamster could outrun... scary! /sarcasm
So many developers listening to the suits instead of being imaginative
and producing quality titles that don't follow the "me too" crowd.
If a publisher is too afraid to sell the game you want to make, find a different publishing company.
Almost 3 out of 5 newer games lately are zombie based. And yes, I'm talking about the Indie crowd too.
If the "me too" games followed the same theme but where truly unique, then I wouldn't have a problem,
but for every good title, I can point to 5 to 10 others that follow the same exact formula except for different graphics and a different name.
A game doesn't have to follow the same freaking concept to be good.
I can name on one hand the actually good zombie games that aren't a rehash of a rehash.
DayZ mod, Left for Dead series, The Walking Dead and one or two others.
Don't believe me? Check out the Indie game section on Xbox Live.
It's almost comical.
God, I miss the day when developers cared more about making the game they WANT to make instead of making the game they NEED to make.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

10. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 04:02 Jerykk

It's X-COM + Fallout + zombies. Sounds good to me.  

9. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 04:02 Cutter

I too would rather see genral post-apoc than zombie, but I'm in.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 03:55 StingingVelvet

To be honest this game is sounding less like something I really want. At first I thought it was a post-zombie apocalypse RPG in the vein on Fallout or Arcanum. It's really shaping up to be a lot different from that though, with all the shelter aspects, management stuff... I dunno.

I will still buy it, but less enthused.

7. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 23:12 Acleacius

Gratz Brian and Anne, you guys ROCK! Cheers

Really hope they will do an additional stage for an editor. Iirc Vince said Oscar just upgraded the engine graphics and special effects for Brian and Iron Tower.

Very exciting Indie RPG games on the horizon!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 23:01 nin

Aaaand Carma wraps up at $625,143!

5. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 22:53 Jerykk

Only a $150k goal? Seems pretty low for an RPG. Granted, they've already made a lot of content and I think they're close to done with the game's systems. In any case, I'm sure they'll have no problems reaching that goal. I expect they'll end up with around $400k.  

4. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 22:35 nin

Hopefully it will have no problems with funding. They're already off to a great start.

3. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 22:33 Techie714

WOOT I sent this story in! =)

I'm backing for 20.00!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 22:31 Sepharo

I'm pretty positive I already paid for this game. Now to find the email/proof...

edit: Hmmm don't see any evidence of it and their site and Kickstarter don't mention any previous donation/pre-order runs. Really thought I had already paid. Is there another zombie RPG with this kind of view?

edit2: Ahh I figured it out... It was Project Zomboid.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2012, 22:44.

1. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 6, 2012, 22:13 nin

I'll be honest and say my first thought was "oh, more zombies". But it's a very convincing and well done video, that specifically talks about what the game offers. A lot of other KSers should take notes.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo