Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Linux Steam Client This Year?

Geek.com reproduces an alleged email exchange with Valve's Gabe Newell saying we should expect the Linux version of the Steam client before the end of this year (presumably by the end of 2013, Valve Time). An email to Valve's Managing Director asked if the client will be released to the public by the end of this year, and the long, drawn out response Gabe purportedly supplied was "Yes." Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 21:19 kookaveetsa

What I don't get is why these obvious Microsoft investors even comment in this thread when they're not even going to use said linux steam client, they're just trolling cause they're so afraid of linux advancement, well keep being afraid cause the advancement is never going to stop. Mwahahahahahaha!  
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 20:15 Scottish Martial Arts

http://techmoth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fedora.png

What an intimidating and user unfriendly desktop! Why, look at that file manager! I sure could never figure out how to use THAT without years of training and a PhD in Computer Science!

24. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 20:04 Scottish Martial Arts

It's great that Linux is now able to browse web pages and watch videos on YouTube. Now it needs to do the hard stuff - have a decent UI, support games and be user friendly.

I'm kind of getting the impression you've never used Linux. KDE and GNOME, the two main GUI options, have been around since the mid-90s, so the idea that you have to be a programmer or an expert in the Unix command line interface to use Linux hasn't been accurate for a long time. And even using the text-based console is no harder than DOS. In fact, I'd say that a UNIX style command-line is MORE not LESS user friendly than DOS ever was. Basically, anyone who isn't an octogenarian who is terrified of all things "computery" can use a modern Linux distribution without prior training, and have things figured out within 5 minutes of logging on.

Furthermore, about 50% of smartphone users are in fact Linux users, and yet you don't hear them complaining about unusable GUIs and lack of user-friendliness. Likewise, all the Mac users are in fact Unix users: they're just too clueless about computing to know it.

And the reason why Linux hasn't made any inroads among corporate desktop users is cost. "Cost, you say? But isn't Linux free?" Yes, Linux is free, but free as in free speech, not free beer. When corporations look at the cost of Linux adoption, they're looking at cost over the long term, not the cost of burning a distro onto a CD or DVD for installation. And that long term costs is primarily measured in terms of potential productivity loss. If Linux software has a problem, you can't exactly call up Linux-crosoft to get support. Now there is a great Linux community out there ready to help you with any foreseeable problem, but browsing forums for solutions doesn't provide corporations with the same sense of security as having a commercial vendor that you call for support. And that's why the corporate-world sticks with commercial software, whether it's Windows for the end-user, or commercial *nix distros for servers and the like.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2012, 20:25.

23. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 18:48 CJ_Parker

What the fuck would the fucking penguins need fucking Steam for? So they can have a paranoia seizure? Get a full tinfoil body suit instead of just a hat? What?

22. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 17:01 eunichron

This actually makes a lot of sense if they're working on a "Steambox". A console made with mid-range PC hardware running on a customized Linux kernel with a Steam based shell and desktop environment? Sounds plausible. Of course, they'd have to do something about the currently very shitty Linux video drivers.  

21. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:22 Kitkoan

yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:16:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:03:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 13:09:
That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
What does any of that have to do with the point I made? My point was about how Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows. It isn't as user friendly, as visually pleasing or as capable as Windows, especially when it comes to gaming. You can compare it to UNIX all you want but that's like comparing a leper to an Ebola victim - both have their own merits (oh look, which body part is going to fall off next?) but most people prefer to be healthy (Windows).

It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".
It was meant to be. Microsoft stagnated with XP, faltered with Vista, barely changed much with 7 and now 8 is coming along and is forcing its radically different interface on people, yet still Linux has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers. The UI still looks like it was designed by a competition at a special needs school and even though it's free people don't have any interest in it.

It's great that Linux is now able to browse web pages and watch videos on YouTube. Now it needs to do the hard stuff - have a decent UI, support games and be user friendly.

I am sorry but it looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. You do realize that Linux is actually just a kernel, right? It has no such thing as a UI and what not.
So you want to talk about a UI, okay. Are you talking about a specific software? Are you talking about KDE, Gnome, e16/17, Fluxbox?
Are you talking about the specific interface that you have with your operating system? Be more specific, please, your simplistic views will not get you very far here.

And what do you mean "it has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers"? Among which consumers? Obviously most of the people that are consumers of Linux like it and use it and the same thing applies to Windows, Mac and any other operating system.

Although it's actually pointless talking to you because if you use such analogies as "Windows is healthy" and "Linux is a disease" then it's clearly that you have made up your mind and just trolling around.

Hehe, obvious troll is obvious? I noticed that too. Just a rehash of the same BS that shows they've never touched a Linux box before but would love to down talk it. Next thing is he will say he has and then talk about things that don't really happen ("I did use *most likely the newest version of Ubuntu here*. It was horrible how the status bar on the bottom kept jumping up with random warning boxes that would cover the screen and I couldn't get them to go away..."

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

20. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:16 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 16:03:
That does not really make any sense. Linux was never an alternative to Windows in the first place. If anything then Linux was an alternative to UNIX because it was built as a UNIX-like system but with the additional plus point that it was completely free; I am not really sure what you are talking about because Linux is more than able to stand on its own, thank you very much.
What does any of that have to do with the point I made? My point was about how Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows. It isn't as user friendly, as visually pleasing or as capable as Windows, especially when it comes to gaming. You can compare it to UNIX all you want but that's like comparing a leper to an Ebola victim - both have their own merits (oh look, which body part is going to fall off next?) but most people prefer to be healthy (Windows).

It even sounds kind of condescending on your part because "Linux is an alternative but it does not live up to my standards etc".
It was meant to be. Microsoft stagnated with XP, faltered with Vista, barely changed much with 7 and now 8 is coming along and is forcing its radically different interface on people, yet still Linux has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers. The UI still looks like it was designed by a competition at a special needs school and even though it's free people don't have any interest in it.

I am sorry but it looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. You do realize that Linux is actually just a kernel, right? It has no such thing as a UI and what not.
So you want to talk about a UI, okay. Are you talking about a specific software? Are you talking about KDE, Gnome, e16/17, Fluxbox?
Are you talking about the specific interface that you have with your operating system? Be more specific, please, your simplistic views will not get you very far here.

And what do you mean "it has failed to get anywhere amongst consumers"? Among which consumers? Obviously most of the people that are consumers of Linux like it and use it and the same thing applies to Windows, Mac and any other operating system.

Although it's actually pointless talking to you because if you use such analogies as "Windows is healthy" and "Linux is a disease" then it's clearly that you have made up your mind and just trolling around.

19. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 16:03 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

18. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 15:52 Elricsi

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:40:
Alright, time to play the six games on Steam that support Linux!

I'm sure Valve is working on this too. They will either lean on developers, provide them with tools, cash incentives or even more help to get more and more of their games running on Linux.

17. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 15:16 Kitkoan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:

It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

I can tell you why.

Marketing.

Yes, its something people don't want to think about, how marketing can sway them but it does. A lot. Marketing brings to the consumer brand recognition and with brand recognition comes brand awareness and trust. Its what sells things first and foremost, the product itself comes in a distance second. This is why things like the iOS sold so well, it had massive ad campaigns (beyond their attempts at marketing OSX). Its what also sold Android. Android wasn't a hugely sought after phone OS by the public until the "What iDon't, Droid does" commercials.

Another thing that hurts Linux is its price. Or lack of. For most people, the higher the price = the higher quality the product must be. Designer clothes (many are made beside cheaper no-names, one just gets the designer name. Not all, but many do), medication (Tylenol or the no name brand? They are both the same, contain the exact same ingredients, and work identically but people will swear by Tylenol, the name they have heard many times over the no name. Even going as far as having a placebo effect of "it works better then the cheaper one"), designer tech (same as the clothes). Linux is free, so to many people free obviously means is no where near as good as the high priced products.

If many of the bigger players got together and marketed their version of Linux (say they got behind Ubuntu and marketed that off) suddenly you would notice that more people would use Ubuntu(Linux) because they are suddenly more aware of it and its "brand". And it would be an equal competitor to Windows.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

16. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 13:09 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:
[...]
It still both surprises and annoys me that Linux has failed to become a credible alternative to Windows despite the lack of innovation in the Windows franchise. You'd think there must be some dedicated enough programmers with vision - or people that could work together to the same effect - to do something. There are some great concepts out there.

15. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 12:56 theyarecomingforyou

Panickd wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:22:
I don't think Apple is shunning the Mac so much as they are attempting to meld the iOS and MacOS into one weird hybrid monster. And since iOS is outselling every other OS by virtue of being on iPhones and iPads it is supplying the pressure you speak of (hence we get the hideously odd Metro interface). I agree that it's not good for a desktop interface but it seems to be the opinion of everyone at Microsoft and Apple that the desktop computer is a dinosaur on it's last legs and laptops will only be around if they dump their keyboards and embrace touchy-swipey interfaces.
I didn't say that Apple was shunning the Mac but that they have shunned gaming on the platform. Microsoft started developing DirectX nearly 20yrs ago and in that time Apple has done nothing to foster game development on the Mac. The situation is very different on iPhone/iPad but that's irrelevant.

14. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 12:22 Panickd

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:02:
Steam would certainly be a step in the right direction for manage installations on Linux. However, given the reliance on DirectX by nearly all high profile releases I don't have much hope that this will lead to any dramatic change in the industry, just as adding Mac support didn't.

What we need is a credible alternative to Windows to keep Microsoft under pressure. Just take Windows 8 - it's quite a dramatic shift in paradigm and end users have little choice in the matter. There's only so long people can hold out with Win7. And it's unhelpful that Apple has so actively shunned game on Mac, as it leaves Windows as the only viable gaming platform.

I don't think Apple is shunning the Mac so much as they are attempting to meld the iOS and MacOS into one weird hybrid monster. And since iOS is outselling every other OS by virtue of being on iPhones and iPads it is supplying the pressure you speak of (hence we get the hideously odd Metro interface). I agree that it's not good for a desktop interface but it seems to be the opinion of everyone at Microsoft and Apple that the desktop computer is a dinosaur on it's last legs and laptops will only be around if they dump their keyboards and embrace touchy-swipey interfaces.

If you were ever expecting EA or Activision to suddenly embrace the Mac just because Steam came to it you live in a dreamworld. They go where the money is and the money isn't in Mac or Linux ports. There is barely enough profit to be had in Windows if you believe their rhetoric (which really means they make a shitload more on consoles so why even bother with computer ports). The money is all in making iPad and iPhone games now (and crapping out an Android port if they can be bothered). The only devs doing computer games worth a damn are indies. And guess what? Most of them are already doing Mac and Linux ports of their games (and occasionally iPad versions too).

13. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 12:20 MajorD

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 11:54:
They should have two separate front ends for each, and the option to select which one upon a fresh installation of Windows 8, or some type of dual-boot option should you want to tinker with Metro.

Thoughts?

Classic Shell! Love it, and I believe it supports the 8 betas...

Thank you nin! I am definitely book marking that site should I need it in the future if MS doesn't allow for that option out of the box.

12. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 11:54 nin

They should have two separate front ends for each, and the option to select which one upon a fresh installation of Windows 8, or some type of dual-boot option should you want to tinker with Metro.

Thoughts?

Classic Shell! Love it, and I believe it supports the 8 betas...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 11:41 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:45:
On a personal note I'm pretty open minded and have been running Windows 8 for months now but I can't make myself like Metro. The odd juxtaposition between interfaces is too jarring, sometimes its ok to have two distinct products because a tablet interface is pretty much at odds with a desktop UI in terms of presentation and design goals.
I'm in the same position. Windows 8 adds many worthwhile improvements to the desktop - the new Task Manager, improved file copying, the Explorer ribbon, Storage Spaces, multi-monitor support, cloud account support and even the new start screen (I have no idea why people defend the old start menu) - but the way that Metro apps have been integrated is poor. I have a 30" monitor and so rarely maximise apps, instead using Aero Snap to run two side by side. Metro has no support for this - it's either fullscreen or a tiny side window with limited functionality.

Windows 8 is a good operating system. The problem is that everything has been done half-heartedly. Click the volume button and it's a regular Aero control; click the network item and a Metro-style side panel appears. It makes no sense. Same with the new hot-corners. With multi-monitor systems you can drag a Metro app to the corner of a screen and it will snap to the side; do the same with a desktop app and it maximises. And side-snap a Metro app and the main screen simply goes blank - you then have to click to bring up the start screen (hiding the app you just launched) and then click the desktop tile to bring back the desktop and the app. Even worse, drag a Metro app off one screen and it immediately maximises to the next screen without you even letting go of the mouse button.

I'll probably be getting Windows 8, as Storage Spaces alone looks to be a brilliant addition to the desktop environment, but I can understand why people are annoyed at the direction Microsoft has taken. We need competition in the OS arena, especially when it comes to gaming.

10. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 11:26 MajorD

Boston wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:16:
I agree. Not only that, Microsoft is giving the desktop second-class citizen treatment (no access to the latest Windows APIs, no free dev tools) and putting all its focus on Metro, where the end users can only get new applications through Microsoft's online store.

It goes even further, desktop apps are only allowed on the store in website link form. They are really shafting their established base IMO. I'm not a dev but the ones at our company are really upset with the direction they seem to be going in and the heavy handed way they're doing it. On a personal note I'm pretty open minded and have been running Windows 8 for months now but I can't make myself like Metro. The odd juxtaposition between interfaces is too jarring, sometimes its ok to have two distinct products because a tablet interface is pretty much at odds with a desktop UI in terms of presentation and design goals.

If this is the future of Windows then I'm very interested in alternatives.

I'm not a Windows 8 user, and will hold out as long as possible based on everything I've read/reviewed. With that said, I am only going by what I have read, reviewed, and seen, but it IMO Microsoft is trying to force UI on two different platforms: Tablet and Desktop. They should have two separate front ends for each, and the option to select which one upon a fresh installation of Windows 8, or some type of dual-boot option should you want to tinker with Metro.

Thoughts?

9. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 11:09  Blue 

ViRGE wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:54:
Is this including the calculations to compensate for Valve Time?

Read past the headline?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

8. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 ViRGE

Is this including the calculations to compensate for Valve Time?  

7. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 10:53 Dev

They are really shafting their established base IMO. I'm not a dev but the ones at our company are really upset with the direction they seem to be going in and the heavy handed way they're doing it.
Nothing new for MS, they have a long history of being heavy handed. Most of the time though, they at least try and hide it from the mass market customers.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo