Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WatchDogs Announced

The WatchDogs Website has a trailer showing off this just-revealed open world game in development at Ubisoft Montreal. This originally seemed to be a console title, but there are plans for a PC edition as well, and the trailer offers hope for an impressive new IP. No release date is offered at this point.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 7, 2012, 04:30 Doma

Interview at E3 that explains a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suj8Ukbl6zY

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 7, 2012, 04:14 Jerykk

That's pretty much what most open world games did so far, GTA, Fallout, Just Cause, just to mention a few.

Well, no. In GTA and Just Cause, if you want to progress, you have to do the story missions and you have to watch the cinematics. The story is forced down your throat if you want to beat the game. That wasn't the case in Fallout. You only needed to complete your objectives. No story necessary.

68. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 6, 2012, 09:44 SpectralMeat

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 23:08:
Ideally, games would let you decide if you actually care about the story.
That's pretty much what most open world games did so far, GTA, Fallout, Just Cause, just to mention a few.
I personally did not have a ton more fun with those games then I did with more scripted titles like Mafia 2, but that is just me.

Watch Dogs however looks interesting, and I do want to play this game.
Now I am hoping that this is not going to turn into another BF3 where the more details came out of the game the less I cared about it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

67. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 23:08 Jerykk

But it would be pretty darned cool if that were the case. I don't so much mind some things being a bit scripted in order to move the plot along. At the end of the day it's still a game. IMO no game will ever have that full "suspension of belief" because other wise how do you have a narrative if nothing is ever scripted at all?

Ideally, games would let you decide if you actually care about the story. That's what Fallout 1 did. The amount of story you got depended on where you went, who you talked to and what your skills were. If you didn't want to talk to anyone, you didn't have to. You could just kill everything in your path.

66. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 22:59 Yosemite Sam

Can't belive they are getting that kind of fidelity out of a console, which makes me think it's designed as a PC game that will get ported to consoles, instead of the other way around. I'd think you guys be happy about that. The people look and move very realistic, top notch. The GFX around the city, the cars buildings everything look great. The driving, looked and sounded god awful. Heh I'd prolly spend hours just f'n with the traffic lights and causing pileups.

EDIT and it says PS3 and 360 so it's for this gen console.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

65. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 22:57 Prez

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 22:41:
Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 22:17:
Nah, I would hate that. There's nothing fun about missing a critical tidbit because you were too late. Just give me the illusion that I was just in time, then script away.
Or have a time-out period - you have a certain length of time to trigger an event, otherwise it occurs anyway.

That would be a decent trade-off I think.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 22:41 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 22:17:
Nah, I would hate that. There's nothing fun about missing a critical tidbit because you were too late. Just give me the illusion that I was just in time, then script away.
Or have a time-out period - you have a certain length of time to trigger an event, otherwise it occurs anyway.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

63. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 22:20 Pete

This looks interesting, might have to give it a whirl once it is on sale.  
Doin' it Big

62. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 22:17 Prez

As mentioned, I'd like to see events happening in the world regardless of whether you're there. Why not let the player miss part of the phone call? If the phone call is that important they could always put a bit of fluff at the beginning to pad it out. Pressing hack and triggering a scripted sequence just isn't as compelling.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 21:53 RollinThundr

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 21:45:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:57:
More than just 1 other player, when they zoom out at the end of the presentation there's player markers in a few spots on the world. This game has potential to be pretty innovative if the MP plays out like it appears to.
I'd be surprised if the game had the sort of multiplayer features you're talking about. It's just as likely that the other characters are AI controlled and do their own thing and that you switch between them.

As mentioned, I'd like to see events happening in the world regardless of whether you're there. Why not let the player miss part of the phone call? If the phone call is that important they could always put a bit of fluff at the beginning to pad it out. Pressing hack and triggering a scripted sequence just isn't as compelling.

I agree it's unlikely. But it would be pretty darned cool if that were the case. I don't so much mind some things being a bit scripted in order to move the plot along. At the end of the day it's still a game. IMO no game will ever have that full "suspension of belief" because other wise how do you have a narrative if nothing is ever scripted at all?

60. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 21:45 theyarecomingforyou

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:57:
More than just 1 other player, when they zoom out at the end of the presentation there's player markers in a few spots on the world. This game has potential to be pretty innovative if the MP plays out like it appears to.
I'd be surprised if the game had the sort of multiplayer features you're talking about. It's just as likely that the other characters are AI controlled and do their own thing and that you switch between them.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

59. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 20:36 Alamar

Quboid wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:40:
I took the 10 seconds to be them getting out of the car, but also dealing with the shock of the impact. Still, fair points - I hadn't considered how paranoid they'd be, but presumably the conked guard had been found and they'd been notified. It's still a bit forced IMHO, but not unreasonably so.

It would be ideal if you could miss 5 seconds of the call - or all of the call - but have enough other clues to get the plot: intercepted emails, comms between security guards, etc.

But if you had watched the character miss 5s of the call, you would assume it was scripted that way ; )

-Alamar

58. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 20:23 Sepharo

Kind of seems like a GTA/L.A. Noire/Heavy Rain mix to me.

Like the rest of you I'm wondering how "guided" this is... What are the actual possibilities? Do I have to figure things out or is the next step always super obvious?

57. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 20:19 Aero

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:28:
I assumed it was just another segment of the single-player game; it wouldn't be the first time you're bouncing between several characters throughout a story campaign. You're right though, that would make for some interesting multiplayer.

That's an intersting idea. Now, what if your player model was randomly assigned and there was no way to tell an NPC from a player aside from how they acted (so good players would blend in with NPCs), and you were all sent to the same place for related but different, possibly conflicting, reasons.

There are some definite possibilities there. Who knows though.

edit: Think I quoted the wrong part of that, but you get the idea.

56. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 20:05 CJ_Parker

Wildone wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 19:57:
Betting this will never see the light of day. Or will be deeply consolized/sodomized by release. Mark my wordsssss

You mean even more consolized, right? Because with all the pointers, the controller friendly selection menu and all that stuff it already looks consolized as hell.

Not sure what the hype is about either. Looks like just another interactive movie. Big deal. Next.

55. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 19:57 Wildone

Betting this will never see the light of day. Or will be deeply consolized/sodomized by release. Mark my wordsssss  

54. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 19:38 Prez

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 19:13:
Kind of reminds me of Person of Interest.

Definitely. I love the paranoid techno dystopian vibe, and this definitely has the theme down. The detail in the trailer is nothing short of astounding, though at first it was unclear exactly what the protagonist was doing. Not the best introduction to the gameplay concepts, but for an illustration of a living, breathing world it was excellent.

- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 19:13 Dirwulf

Kind of reminds me of Person of Interest.

52. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 19:08 1badmf

pretty stunning, even if a few of the events are scripted. i don't care about that stuff nearly as much as presentation and story, and in those areas this game has the potential to be a fantastic allegory of our modern digital society, moreso than dxhr.  

51. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 18:57 RollinThundr

Titus wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:43:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:28:
I assumed it was just another segment of the single-player game; it wouldn't be the first time you're bouncing between several characters throughout a story campaign. You're right though, that would make for some interesting multiplayer.

If you look at the cut to the presentation itself, there's a new player in the spotlights as well, so two in total on the stage. Also, the interface for the second player says 'New Group Objective', and when zooming out to the map before the closing title, there's multiple name arrows all over the city map,in the same style and color of the minimap player icons.

Also, the 'Everything's Connected' catchphrase would make much more sense. The hacking stuff itself isn't that novel, and has been done before (though not to such extent) in games like DE, DE:HR and even the Syndicate FPS. Such multiplayer would be though.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo