Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars 1313 Trailers

This trailer offers a combat walkthrough of Star Wars 1313, the upcoming mature, mercenary-themed shooter set in the Star Wars universe. They also offer a Navigation Cinematic and a vertigo inducing Falling a Thousand Levels trailer showing the express route to level 1313.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 18, 2012, 16:17 swaaye

MacLeod wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 08:42:
Dark Forces used it's own engine (Jedi), not the Doom engine. I wish someone would make a high res update to it like they did Doom (DoomGL, ZDoom). I wouldn't mind replaying DF.

Look up DarkXL.

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 05:23:
I agree on atmosphere, but very few people enjoy not knowing where the fuck to go now-a-days.
Dark Forces is somewhat maze-y, but Jedi Knight is not so much. JK had some amazing map design with a great sense of scale.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 7, 2012, 11:22 D-Rock

InBlack wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 09:11:
My mistake. The renderer was very similar to the Doom engine, apart from the mouselook and jumping/ducking, which was revolutionary at the time.

Sorry -- no mouselook either for DF. Just a single axis for the mouse -- just like Doom. There was a 'keyboard look' function though. It was only really useful for checking out maps above and below you, which was a necessity because the maps were actually 3D (i.e. multi-level, not the BSP method Carmack used in Doom).

Lucasarts had a really good thing going with DF and JK. It's a shame things started to go downhill after X-Wing Alliance (with the exception of some licensed titles developed outside of Lucasarts).

I'm really disappointed in this next offering. Is it really that difficult for them to justify putting the time into more X-Wing / Tie Fighter games? Heck, if they came out with a verbatim remake with nothing but a new engine I'd pay full price on release day.

32. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 09:11 InBlack

My mistake. The renderer was very similar to the Doom engine, apart from the mouselook and jumping/ducking, which was revolutionary at the time.  

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 08:42 MacLeod

InBlack wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 03:47:
Hell even the first Dark Forces (in the Doom engine no less) would put 95% of todays shooters to shame.

Dark Forces used it's own engine (Jedi), not the Doom engine. I wish someone would make a high res update to it like they did Doom (DoomGL, ZDoom). I wouldn't mind replaying DF.

30. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 05:23 StingingVelvet

InBlack wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 03:47:
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight was such a brilliant game, though the gunplay and lightsaber play was much improved in the sequels, the first one was the best IMO. The level design, atomsphere, music, story everything felt right and really immersed you in the world.

No one makes shooters like that anymore.

Hell even the first Dark Forces (in the Doom engine no less) would put 95% of todays shooters to shame.

I agree on atmosphere, but very few people enjoy not knowing where the fuck to go now-a-days. Even I, who played and loved those games at the time, find myself frustrated with the maze aspects of older shooters sometimes, especially really old ones like Wolfenstein.

I agree on atmosphere, Jedi Knight is still amazingly atmospheric for a game that looks so ancient. I think a lot of that is pacing... modern games just throw shit at you constantly and take over control whenever there is no action. This is not atmospheric... they shoot for cinematic rather than immersive.

29. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 04:51 Jerykk

Pigeon wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 14:41:
I was hoping for an FPS, but we got cover based rail shooter instead. I guess those are easier for console controls :/

Ugh. I'm a verified PC elitist but as I've said before, if you're going to accuse a game of consolitis, there need to be actual symptoms of consolitis. There are plenty of first-person shooters designed for consoles, just like there are plenty of third-person shooters designed for PC. The choice of perspective has nothing to do with platform. If anything, they decided to go third-person so they could better show off the player character's animations.

28. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 04:10 Jackplug

Why do they bother trying, they must go out and search for the crapest game devs with the shittiest ideas and say "Hey we've got loads of money have a great time & just blow it!!".  

27. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 03:47 InBlack

Dark Forces: Jedi Knight was such a brilliant game, though the gunplay and lightsaber play was much improved in the sequels, the first one was the best IMO. The level design, atomsphere, music, story everything felt right and really immersed you in the world.

No one makes shooters like that anymore.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 22:05 nin

Slashman wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 21:57:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 20:11:
Sadly, I believe you are right. Whatever creativity there was at LA was long ago butt-raped by Jar Jar Binks...

I don't ever want you putting images like that in my head again. Do you hear me???!!!??

"Yousa LIIIIKKKEEESSS ittttt!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 21:57 Slashman

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 20:11:
Sadly, I believe you are right. Whatever creativity there was at LA was long ago butt-raped by Jar Jar Binks...

I don't ever want you putting images like that in my head again. Do you hear me???!!!??

24. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 20:11 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:56:
Bud, those days for LA are long, long gone. And they will never come again. Never. I just want Tim Schafer to secure the rights to Grim Fandango and someone else do up a nice Outlaws style game. They could easily get a few mil each on Kickstarter for those.

23. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 16:31 Techie714

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:56:
silentsammy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:06:
Was hoping for a gritty FPS ...maybe even a new dark version of a 'Jedi Academy'... got stuck with gears of war.

Bud, those days for LA are long, long gone. And they will never come again. Never. I just want Tim Schafer to secure the rights to Grim Fandango and someone else do up a nice Outlaws style game. They could easily get a few mil each on Kickstarter for those.

Oh man I LOVED Outlaws!! "Where you going Cowboy?"

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

22. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 15:56 Cutter

silentsammy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:06:
Was hoping for a gritty FPS ...maybe even a new dark version of a 'Jedi Academy'... got stuck with gears of war.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 15:06 silentsammy

20. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:56 DangerDog

The graphics look good but I bet you could recreate that with cryengine 3.

the gameplay looks like it's going to be a bunch of quicktime events mashed together with player controlled shooter parts.

they should make it first person with an option to go third person if you want.

having the entire game set in one venue is going to make the game tedious at best.

19. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:41 Pigeon

I was hoping for an FPS, but we got cover based rail shooter instead. I guess those are easier for console controls :/  

18. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:40 Flatline

Fion wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 14:21:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:55:
Looked like an Uncharted clone to me, which in itself is not a bad thing. Visuals are certainly nice (now watch it not get a PC port in the end!). Not nearly enough info to make a judgement yet but they're on the right track.

This demo was on a high end PC with latest Nviida hardware. You think a console could do that at anything above 5fps? It's kinda funny because in E3's past other companies have had graphics like that and passed it off as 30fps on an xbox360 and then later had to admit it was all CGI lol.

You mean a PS3. Killzone 2 if memory serves. Microsoft has never said that their console is the most powerful supercomputer on the planet, that was Sony's schtick.

17. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:21 Fion

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:55:
Looked like an Uncharted clone to me, which in itself is not a bad thing. Visuals are certainly nice (now watch it not get a PC port in the end!). Not nearly enough info to make a judgement yet but they're on the right track.

This demo was on a high end PC with latest Nviida hardware. You think a console could do that at anything above 5fps? It's kinda funny because in E3's past other companies have had graphics like that and passed it off as 30fps on an xbox360 and then later had to admit it was all CGI lol.

16. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:14 reisub

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:23:
Chest-high walls... yay! Wall
Your wall's too high.

15. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:09 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:23:
Chest-high walls... yay! Wall

Bonus points for the dev saying "we want to eliminate that line between cutscenes and gameplay so you're never quite sure when you're playing".

Nothing like obfuscating those irrelevant moments like WHEN YOU NEED TO PICK UP THE CONTROLLER.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo