Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had a first last night, as I wrote up a bunch of stories which I then failed to post! I made the mistake of getting an extra early start for E3 (which was a waste since the show is on the west coast), and I guess I wasn't concentrating very well by the end of the day. I ended up posting the stories at 1:00 am with an 11:59 timestamp, and had a fitful sleep from kicking myself.

Fitful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie at The Gates.
3 Slices 2.
Links: American Heads Are Getting Bigger.
Stories: Starz Cancels "Spartacus" After Next Year.
Science: Transit of Venus Explained.
Giant hairy spider attacks spark panic in India. Thanks brother19.
Solar plane en route from Spain to Morocco. Thanks brother19.
Media: The Fall of Pinterest. NSFW.
The Funnies: Bowled Over.
Follow-up: Remastered "Trek: TNG" Hits Cinema Screens.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2012, 20:09 eRe4s3r

Speaking of that, I have no idea why Vista got all that bad rep. I tried W7 and Vista but so far I am using Vista (well, all my applications are here) and I see not a single thing better or worse in W7.

On the other hand, I tried Windows 8 and holy crap is it crap. If you use PC, stay with W7 or Vista. This is not a Windows for a PC. It might even be the end of Microsoft's desktop dominance for good.

Thankfully I had some guidance to its use or might have uninstalled it (read, unpartitioned the drive) before I even got to Metro, that first screen is *extremely* unintuitive. It is pretty, and damn retarded designed. Drag and Pull with a mouse? Wtf...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2012, 16:22 Hoop

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 09:11:
Despite seeing the issue also, I'm blaming your pista/IE combo. Hell, you might have even crashed it!

HaHa no not my end a fresh install of vista & really I just love it.
This morning Blue must have got on to it as things load fast again.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2012, 09:11 nin

Hoop wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 04:27:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 21:51:
Site was down for about an hour... And then it comes back up and I check for new comments derp

Blue your site loads like a bag of toads, it's slow to the point of a timeout then kicks in, first issues here in years.

Vista 64
Explorer 9

Despite seeing the issue also, I'm blaming your pista/IE combo. Hell, you might have even crashed it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2012, 04:27 Hoop

Sepharo wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 21:51:
Site was down for about an hour... And then it comes back up and I check for new comments derp

Blue your site loads like a bag of toads, it's slow to the point of a timeout then kicks in, first issues here in years.

Vista 64
Explorer 9

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 21:51 Sepharo

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 20:31 jdreyer

I ended up posting the stories at 1:00 am with an 11:59 timestamp, and had a fitful sleep from kicking myself.

Well, if it's any consolation, it was still dinner time here in Hawaii when they posted, and I read them after dinner. So "Evening Consolidation" was read in the evening.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 19:57 eRe4s3r

Airports here have to pay sound blocking windows at the least... I know no person living near an airport that did not have their sound proofing paid by the airport.. because the Airports know that if someone sues up to the EUGH things would get VERY ugly. Humans have the right to uninterrupted sleep. Nobody has the right to disturb your sleep for financial gains in the night time (22:00 to 6:00). VERY few exceptions are the rule (like celebrating the end-of-year). There are even strict statutes in most cities here that ban any non-permitted noise source past 22:00 , and yes.. you can call the police and they will actually come if someone turns up their stereo at midnight.

Stuff like this makes me wonder where that whole "citizen rights" thing went in the USA? I feel like as a European I have like half a million more rights than any US citizen has (ok, also more things are forbidden so I guess in a sense I have both more and less rights ,p). It is well known here that airport noise can not only make sick but KILL. The death rates around airports is even with all that sound proofing higher than in other areas... as you can imagine, loud noises anywhere are stress. And stress always leads to sickness...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 19:08 nin

banddirector wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 17:41:
nin wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 17:18:
Hoop wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 16:25:
Only just offically started Winter here & it's snowing, we are at sea level so this used to happen every 8 years or so but now it's a yearly occurrence usually around August. Snow day!

I'd kill for some damn snow right now. Live it up, Hoop!

I guess it all matters where you live. I'm so sick of F'ing snow I could go the rest of my life without it. I guess I need to move to Georgia ....

We got very little winter in general here in the midwest. Bugs are going to be nasty this summer...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 18:31 Bet

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:47:
Made of carbon fibre, the giant plane is the size of an Airbus A340 but only weighs as much as an average family car, according to its creators

How expensive was it to make? How fast does it fly? How much energy did it take to produce it?

Hey! There's an owl outside my window! Haven't seen one in a long time. He's hooting away like Hootie and the Blowfish!
For the savings in sound alone (causing/worsening hypertension for those that live up/downwind of airports, among a myriad of other health problems), the price in social savings would be worth it if they could get it working for passenger flights. As for lack of reliance on fossil fuels, that part is inevitably more important every day.

Minneapolis International airport just launched a pilot study, a first in this country at least, for just how bad the effects on health from airport-related noise. The Airport Commission has announced that they're worried that they might get pummeled financially by the results (and punished unfairly as the only airport in this country to have the guts to run a study like this, and the FAA adopting the policy of hear no evil/see no evil in spite of the study). At least if they don't rig the results like they've been successfully sued about within the last few years, we might soon know more about the health effects that Europeans already know a small amount more than we do.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 17:41 banddirector

nin wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 17:18:
Only just offically started Winter here & it's snowing, we are at sea level so this used to happen every 8 years or so but now it's a yearly occurrence usually around August. Snow day!

I guess it all matters where you live. I'm so sick of F'ing snow I could go the rest of my life without it. I guess I need to move to Georgia ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 17:18 nin

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 16:25 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 14:50 PHJF

OK I'm finally getting tired of Dragon's Dogma after two playthroughs and around 120 hours. Kudos, Capcom.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 13:55 Mr. Tact

I suspect they meant the wingspan is as wide as the wingspan of an Airbus A340 -- because there is no way it is as big as the A340...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 13:44 NegaDeath

Giant hairy spider attacks spark panic in India.

Well there goes another country to the "do not visit" list.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2012, 11:47 Cutter

Made of carbon fibre, the giant plane is the size of an Airbus A340 but only weighs as much as an average family car, according to its creators

How expensive was it to make? How fast does it fly? How much energy did it take to produce it?

Hey! There's an owl outside my window! Haven't seen one in a long time. He's hooting away like Hootie and the Blowfish!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo