Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 22:00 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 08:33:
How the hell does only Cutter understand the definition of "sexisim?"

What is the definition of "sexisim"?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 20:38 Quboid

I pretty much agree with you, Eirikrautha - but I'm a bleeding heart liberal. How is this possible? Could it be that throwing labels around is just clouding the issue by seeing people as members of groups that don't truly exist?

I'd actually go further than you, in that (as a bleeding heart type) I believe in equality. What you call radical feminism is bordering man-hating and this is simply sexism. It's sexist for a man to be prejudiced against women and it's sexist for a woman to be prejudiced against men. Seeing yourself as a victim of men's sexism, as sexist women sometimes do, is somewhat understandable, but it's not justification at all.

Likewise, equality in wanting to look good. It's not that the average woman wants to be considered attractive, it's that nearly everyone, male or female, wants to be attractive because ultimately, we all want to reproduce and to reproduce with the most desirable mate we can. The simplest way to attract a highly desirable mate is to be highly desirable. This is massively, massively generalising, but what makes a female desirable is signs of fertility and what makes men desirable is signs that they can raise a family.

So much of human behaviour comes down to this (or rather, the infinitely more complex reality of this) and it makes sense in the evolutionary sense of propagating one's genes.

- Quboid

19. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Jun 5, 2012, 20:07 Eirikrautha

Metasparks wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 19:55:
Eirikrautha, your comment was brilliant. Bravo!

Thanks... I have my moments...

Trust me, I've got a lot of pent-up frustration on this topic. Try graduate study in English Lit at any major university today in order to watch the insanity in action. It's even worse there, because the modern education establishment has succeeded in completely divorcing itself from reality. There is no Marxist-Feminist theory of bridge-building, because the first moron that tried it would have to be fished out of the river. The Arts and Humanities, on the other hand, are primarily intellectual masturbation to begin with (I've always thought English majors should get a "BS" in English... not a BA)...

18. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Jun 5, 2012, 19:55 Metasparks

Eirikrautha, your comment was brilliant. Bravo!

17. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 17:38 Sub-Zero

Sometimes you guys baffle me. It's like you're stuck in the 1960s or something. For being so ahead technologically you're painfully backwards socially.
Social policy that props up insecurity en-masse is what is painfully backwards, but this is what happens when an intolerant ideology like modern feminism gains political dominance. You get institutionalized hypocrisy defined as 'social justice.'..

Dressing to impress, which was the whole point of this woman's presence here, she should expect attention, both from people she wants it from, and people she doesn't. This is human nature. I consider objectification to be a backhanded compliment. If everyone wasn't so damned insecure, they would too.

It is you who lacks depth of understanding. There is more to male/female interaction than what you bought verbatim from your ivy league 'womens studies' courses.

16. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 16:16 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:14:
There's a big difference between "You have a very nice figure" and "You won't get hired unless you have sex with me."

Depends on who it comes from, but you wouldn't expect knuckle-dragging conservatives (see, two can do that!) to understand such things.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 15:14 Eirikrautha

space captain wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 10:18:
the main issue is people wanting to be offended.. thats what its really about - the comment is ridiculously mild

its called "self-righteous indignation" and its a default mode for plenty of insufferable assholes out there

Dear God... I agree with the Cap'n (a sign of the Apocalypse, I believe) on this one! This IS about power, but not the way that bleeding-hearts like Beamer portray it to be. It's about the power to stifle thoughts and/or speech that particular groups don't like.

There are some women who, in their anger at some men behaving like bores (or their own personal deficiencies... I'll leave it at that), would like to stigmatize all recognition of "traditional" female beauty. This is not "feminism"... it's RADICAL feminism (bordering on man-hating). To the radical feminist, any appreciation of the female form or physique is a form of degradation. And those radicals derive power (and revel in it) from their ability to stifle expression of that natural appreciation among males (and some females).

Considering how much money is spent in the cosmetic and plastic surgery industries, it is almost too trivial to note that the average woman WANTS to be considered attractive. Most would be flattered at (non-aggressive) recognition of that fact. Only the most virulent "feminist" denies that in order to wield her power of "being offended."

There's a big difference between "You have a very nice figure" and "You won't get hired unless you have sex with me." Only the rabid radicals (and the low-testosterone males who seek to curry favor with them) would conflate the two (and that's not even getting into the women who use their own sexuality to get ahead, something that feminist author Camile Paglia argues is even more "feminist" than Birkenstocks, unshaved armpits, and butch-lesbianism)...

14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 13:55 Kitkoan

Sometimes you guys baffle me. It's like you're stuck in the 1960s or something. For being so ahead technologically you're painfully backwards socially.

sexism - noun

definition

1. attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

2. The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life. Sexist discrimination in the United States in the past has denied opportunities to women in many spheres of activity. Many allege that it still does. ( See also affirmative action, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, glass ceiling, and National Organization for Women.)

----

You've confused objectification with sexism by the sounds of it.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

13. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 11:37 Quboid

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 09:47:
Exactly. This isn't an ASUS engineer helping to discuss the product and is instead the victim of leering and japes. That would suck.

This is a person selected *for her appearance* to stand next to a product. A model. Someone picked to be alluring and attract people's attention. And in fact, does so. Being offended by such a mild comment complimenting her physique is borderline insanity.

In twitter speak, I think this is #desperatetobeoffendedsomehow.

I'm deeply offended by your presumption that because she's an alluring and attractive woman, she can't be an engineer.

Bwahaha, no, not really. I mean, perhaps she is an engineer. It's possible - but statistical analysis of the role beautiful women play in trade shows suggests that this is a fair assumption for us all to be making.

- Quboid

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 10:18 space captain

the main issue is people wanting to be offended.. thats what its really about - the comment is ridiculously mild

its called "self-righteous indignation" and its a default mode for plenty of insufferable assholes out there

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 10:09 CommunistHamster

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 09:47:
Exactly. This isn't an ASUS engineer helping to discuss the product and is instead the victim of leering and japes. That would suck.

This is a person selected *for her appearance* to stand next to a product. A model. Someone picked to be alluring and attract people's attention. And in fact, does so. Being offended by such a mild comment complimenting her physique is borderline insanity.

There's more than one kind of sexism, you know.

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 10:06 CommunistHamster

Slowly but surely progress is being made against the sexism in the tech world. Good.  

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 09:47 Phasenoise

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 09:02 Morgan19

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 02:48:
but doesn't get that putting a booth girl out there to be oggled at is sexist in the first place.

Yep, exactly what I was coming in to say.

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 08:33 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 07:08 Quboid

Asus said it was inappropriate, which it is; they didn't say it was sexist, which it isn't. Perhaps they thought it was sexist, but didn't want to use that word as that could draw attention to things, but they didn't say it was sexist.

Of course, having someone there whose job it is to have a nice smile, nice boobs and a nice ass is rather worse than someone acknowledging that she's doing her job well - that's the messed up bit, that her having a nice ass is her doing her job well.

- Quboid

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 06:00 Cutter

NetHead wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 05:43:
I also thought there was nothing sexist about the comment, at absolute worst it simply isn't the most appropriate thing for a company to say, then again it's simply showing a human side to a company which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Also shouldn't her opinion about this be what matters and I doubt she cares, who would be offended by someone saying they have a nice rear which is basically a polite compliment compared to what others might say, after all that's basically why she's there and chances are she knows all that. Hell chances are the extra attention will only help her career as a model.

No, there has to be a standard which can be applied equally or it leads to confusion and resentment. Just like 'no means no'. It's not 'no is sometimes a yes'. Regardless of the fact that she's obviously out there and doesn't mind being paid to be an object there still has to be boundaries and a modicum of common sense applied in these sorts of social situations. It's one thing to say that sort of thing to your buddies in private, it's another thing to say that when you're posting as an official company rep. Just not cricket, old sock.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 05:43 NetHead

I also thought there was nothing sexist about the comment, at absolute worst it simply isn't the most appropriate thing for a company to say, then again it's simply showing a human side to a company which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Also shouldn't her opinion about this be what matters and I doubt she cares, who would be offended by someone saying they have a nice rear which is basically a polite compliment compared to what others might say, after all that's basically why she's there and chances are she knows all that. Hell chances are the extra attention will only help her career as a model.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 02:48 Cutter

Objectifying a woman is sexist. The irony being ASUS apologizing for on behalf of some marketing bozo's comment, but doesn't get that putting a booth girl out there to be oggled at is sexist in the first place. I have little to no faith in any company that needs to use sex to sell a product.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 02:48 RailWizard

swedishfriend wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 01:29:
That was not a sexist comment. The statement did not place one sex above another nor judge anyone by their sex. Rude to the particular person maybe. Objectifying maybe. Sexist? Definitely not.

A good example...people are so eager to be offended these days they will just make shit up. The other 'great role' being playing the victim. Americans excel at both of those.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo