Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month

BioWare's Dr. Ray Muzyka took to the stage at E3 to announce plans for Star Wars: the Old Republic, their Star Wars MMORPG. He unveils plans to add more PvP warzones, more challenging group- and higher-level content (including a new version of hardcore mode), new companion characters, player-requested features, and more to the game over the coming year. He caps things off by announcing plans for limited free-to-play support, saying beginning in July, everyone will be able to play the game up to level 15 for free.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 5, 2012, 11:53 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 22:40:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:40:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:54:
That's the problem, even if they player base surges, those who are higher then 15 (more like the 30-40 range like my character) are still in empty zones without enough people to do all the damn heroics that are filling up more then half of my quest journal.

Just phuck the heroics. They may yield decent XP but in the time spent looking for a group you will make 2x the amount of XP doing regular quests.

The thing is I REALLY do enjoy the content in TOR, and I really do want to experience all of it. The problem is when you have a limit of 25 quests, and 15 or more are Heroics, it's a problem.
Same thing with the Task Forces. I would love to do The Jedi Prisoner, but getting people who want to do it on regular difficulty is damn near impossible.

I know. I last played TOR in January and even then it was really hard to find a group for the mid level heroics (Jedi Sentinel). People just didn't seem to be interested. I also ended up with lots of unfinished heroics from Tatooine and Alderaan in my journal and eventually deleted them all because some had turned grey in the meantime anyway.
I think it's not just a case of server population but also a matter of the type of player this game is attracting. TOR seems to be attracting a lot of single players who are fine with just playing the game their way - single.
For example, I've never seen MMO chat as dead as in TOR. Even when there were 60 people on a planet there was zero talk going on (unless it was Friday night and you had a couple of drunks spamming chat with nonsense).

Their group finder is coming way too late. Most people -the real MMO'ers- who wanted more than just a watered down KotOR 3 with an always online requirement have long moved on...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 5, 2012, 10:01 deqer

Slashman wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 23:39:
The Elder Scrolls MMO is another example of something doomed before it even starts. But they blindly charge forward expecting a different outcome by doing the exact same things that have been failing.
Not to mention the ES community didn't even ask for an MMO. They asked for a multiplayer feature be added to the singleplayer game. So, you can expect a bunch of people from the ES community itself to reject/boycott this MMO. lulz

39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 5, 2012, 09:36 Yakubs

Obviously the game just didn't have enough EMOTION.  

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 5, 2012, 00:54 Steele Johnson

This game was a failure as soon as it was announced. The genre was burnt out even before the project started. Not to mention choosing a burnt out theme and one that not too many female gamers care about. Bioware made a really bad choice.  

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 23:39 Slashman

I'm just amazed that investors are still willing to put their cash behind WoW clones.

Even after failure on top of failure of any game to be a WoW competitor much less a WoW killer, something still makes people want to bet on a formula that has really only been successful for a single game for the past 8 years.

The Elder Scrolls MMO is another example of something doomed before it even starts. But they blindly charge forward expecting a different outcome by doing the exact same things that have been failing. You simply can't do it that way anymore.

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 23:02 Nacelle

panbient wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:56:
Congratulations? You managed to somehow avoid one of the biggest shifts in gaming for a good decade until most of the big ones still standing had gone free to play (D&D, LotR, City of Heroes, Everquest) then decided on one of the only new ones to still require a monthly fee...
And?!?!

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 22:40 The Half Elf

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:40:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:54:
That's the problem, even if they player base surges, those who are higher then 15 (more like the 30-40 range like my character) are still in empty zones without enough people to do all the damn heroics that are filling up more then half of my quest journal.

Just phuck the heroics. They may yield decent XP but in the time spent looking for a group you will make 2x the amount of XP doing regular quests.

The thing is I REALLY do enjoy the content in TOR, and I really do want to experience all of it. The problem is when you have a limit of 25 quests, and 15 or more are Heroics, it's a problem.
Same thing with the Task Forces. I would love to do The Jedi Prisoner, but getting people who want to do it on regular difficulty is damn near impossible.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 22:39 NKD

No free to play here, just one of those WoW-style untimed free trials.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 22:04 Tom

This headline is fatally flawed. Up to level 15 is not F2P!! It's a free trial.  

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 21:49 Spektr

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the games that have tried a different receipe have been total disasters for their developers (thinking of Conan here) But I think what made it fail was the game's shortcomings rather than its originality.  

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 20:41 Dev

Towyn wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:01:
Does "F2P" and "Beta" really sell so well that they have to tag it on every demo these days?
Yes.
See TF2 where they made 12000% more money off of it in a few months when they went F2P than all the retail and previous sales combined.

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 20:21 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:10:
Nah, just tired of the standard fomrulas. I've been enjoying the hell out of GW2 so far and am amped for this weekend's coming test.

Ayup. Same shit with different paint doesn't cut it, anymore. People are sick of WoW clones.

GW2 is fairly refreshing.

And that is what the genre needs... vastly different gameplay between MMO's like we had in the early days (UO, vs EQ, vs AC... totally different gameplay although they were all medieval settings)

Technically... everything is an EQ clone (even WoW), when you look at if from the "standard formula" perspective... just evolved to being way more solo friendly, and being peppered with "mundane tasks" being passed off as quests.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2012, 20:32.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 20:21 Bill Borre

Yeah, I got to lvl 13 just over the free weekend.  

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 20:02 mlw

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:59:
I think folks are just getting tired of mmos...

I agree. There seems a finite number of people anyway who play MMOs. No one else at my job of 40 people play MMOs, while many do play multi-player like Diablo.

And allowing anyone to play the game up to a limited level like 15 is NOT Free To Play.

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 20:01 Prez

Not at all surprising. A terrible, terrible game. It will be completely free to play soon.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2012, 20:21.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 19:40 ASeven

Well, that didn't take long until it became F2P, sorta.

This one will go down as the biggest financial blunder of all the industry.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 18:56 nin

RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:35:
I called it.
F2P in six months tops.
Click here for proof!

But it's not until July...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 18:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Tim Collins wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:04:
"everyone" you should be ashamed, get a real job.
Beh there's a reason why your first few hundred or so posts flag you as suspect now. But their post history does reflect a paid shill. Not a very good one if they are.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 18:35 RaZ0r!

I called it.
F2P in six months tops.
Click here for proof!

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 18:32 everyone

Tim Collins wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:04:
"everyone" you should be ashamed, get a real job.
What job is it that you think I have now, Mr Collins? If that is your real name...

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo