Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 3 in February 2013

EA showed off footage from Dead Space 3 to kick off their E3 presser today, officially confirming production of the third game in what has long been considered a trilogy. Following the clip, Steve Papoutsis of developer Visceral bounded out and explained: "Dead Space 3 will take players on the most immersive spine-tingling adventure yet. The game will feature new locations like the depths of space, a frozen Necromorph-infested planet, and new characters like John Carver, and new ways to experience the game like drop-in/drop-op co-op. That's right, Dead Space 3 is going to rock in single-player and in co-op." He proceeds to give a live co-p demonstration, and concludes saying the game is due in February 2013.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 13:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:22:
Changing the game to be entirely action oriented also affects how you perceive the atmosphere. It's hard to appreciate a horrible situation if your adrenaline is always kicked up to 10 which is why the moments of quiet were so important in the previous games.

I agree, but I haven't read anything that makes this sound like the case yet. Seems so far like they are making it easier to shoot but not necessarily changing the pace and atmosphere. There were a ton of times in DS2 where it was batshit crazy fast too, they were just balanced with more immersive sections.

I can't watch the videos though, maybe they would scare me off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 11:22 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 06:17:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 00:13:
I'm pretty sure the actual game will be even more of a shooter than the previous ones. They've added a cover system and enemies that use guns. Also, ammo is universal now and more plentiful, which suggests that there will be a lot more shooting. The E3 demo walkthrough was almost entirely shooting.

Honestly I loved Dead Space and DS2 for their atmosphere, not for the ammo management and other survival elements. I am sure to some these changes are a disappointment, but I don't really care.

Changing the game to be entirely action oriented also affects how you perceive the atmosphere. It's hard to appreciate a horrible situation if your adrenaline is always kicked up to 10 which is why the moments of quiet were so important in the previous games.

I'm quite skeptical about the addition of cover, it reduces vulnerability which is something that was a prominent feature in immersion for this series. There are many generic third person shoot em ups, no real need to turn this game into one. It was selling quite well without those elements. Everyone wants to be the next gears of war.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

9. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 06:17 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 00:13:
I'm pretty sure the actual game will be even more of a shooter than the previous ones. They've added a cover system and enemies that use guns. Also, ammo is universal now and more plentiful, which suggests that there will be a lot more shooting. The E3 demo walkthrough was almost entirely shooting.

Honestly I loved Dead Space and DS2 for their atmosphere, not for the ammo management and other survival elements. I am sure to some these changes are a disappointment, but I don't really care.

8. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 00:42 ^Drag0n^

And here I was thinking "Dead Space" was where Redwood Shores banished all the exceptional game ideas generated under their roof...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

7. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 00:13 Jerykk

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 20:03:
The announce trailer makes it look like a generic action game. Big booming voices, woman's names being screamed, decidedly non-claustrophobic snow planet and a catchy rock town played during the end title.

That's just the hype trailer though assembled by PR people. The actual game could still be like the original, guess we'll find out in Feb..

6. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 22:03 theyarecomingforyou

The beginning of 2013 is starting to get incredibly crowded with all the recent delays:

Bioshock: Infinite
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Tomb Raider
Metro: Last Light
Crysis 3
Dead Space 3

In fact it's getting pretty ridiculous. I appreciate that publishers are wary of juggernauts like Blacks Ops 2 and GTA V but they're doing more harm than good by all releasing within a one month period next year. I'm interested in most of those games - Dead Space 3 aside - and I simply won't buy them all on release because I won't be able to complete them all before the inevitable sales. And if GTA V slips into early next year then they're all completely fucked.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 20:03 Dmitri_M

The announce trailer makes it look like a generic action game. Big booming voices, woman's names being screamed, decidedly non-claustrophobic snow planet and a catchy rock town played during the end title.

That's just the hype trailer though assembled by PR people. The actual game could still be like the original, guess we'll find out in Feb..

4. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 17:39 PHJF

Conveniently forgetting Dead Space has an assault rifle, are we?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 17:23 Tumbler

Seemed like this game is going action action action. I never liked the rivet gun because it was like having an assault rifle and that seems to be the kind of gameplay they want now. Someone on reddit called it Gears of Space and that seems accurate.

It looked very pretty, I'll likely enjoy it, but I miss Dead Space.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 16:46 Rattlehead

Co-op could be well integrated if executed right. I think it would help Isaac's psyche extremely well if he could work with someone who isn't a traitor, winds up dead, or is never alive in the first place.  

1. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 4, 2012, 16:18 Verno

Zero interest in the co-op but as long as it doesn't affect the SP I'm sold.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo