Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed

The official announcement for Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist has word on plans for a PC edition of the just-announced stealth/action sequel. Here's the E3 trailer and here's the press release:

Today, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft® unveiled the development of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist, the next blockbuster title in the critically acclaimed Tom Clancy franchise. The game will be available worldwide for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in spring 2013.

As the first production project from Ubisoft Toronto, with support from Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Shanghai, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist delivers a gripping modern-day special-ops storyline with a new level of technical innovation and quality. The game includes voice recognition features on KinectT for Xbox 360®, an arsenal of new gadgets and reinvented classic weapons and a new "Killing-in-Motion" fighting style, which allows players to strike with lethal precision by marking and executing multiple enemies in one fluid motion.

In the game, a group of rogue nations have had enough of the United States' military presence in their countries. In an effort to force the withdrawal of the U.S. forces, they mastermind "The Blacklist," a countdown of escalating terrorist attacks on U.S. assets. Given a presidential mandate and the power to act above the law, players take on the role of lethal operative Sam Fisher. Outfitted with Sam's infamous tactical suit and goggles, players will infiltrate terrorist cells while using ruthless interrogation methods to extract crucial information to prevent the next Blacklist attack.

The thrilling storyline and wide range of intense, eye-opening missions will propel players to find those responsible for these deadly assaults by any means necessary. Throughout the game, Sam and Fourth Echelon seek out their missions aboard a new Mobile Command Center housed inside a stealth aircraft. Ready to take off at a moment's notice, Fourth Echelon is equipped with unlimited resources and cutting-edge technology including a Strategic Mission Interface that reports global events in real time.

"Ubisoft Toronto has taken great care to develop an evolutionary Sam Fisher experience that takes the franchise to dramatic new heights," said Maxime Beland, creative director at Ubisoft. "With exciting gameplay enhanced by full motion-capture performances, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist offers a highly cinematic experience that will immerse fans and gamers new to the series in an intricate, action-packed adventure."

For more information on Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist, please visit: splintercell.com

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 10:23 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 08:39:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 04:04:
The common sense difference there is Coke is always the same fucking thing, every time you have it.

Except when it isn't, and everyone (rightly) throws a shit fit.

Kind of the point of that analogy I assume and you walked right into it.

Yes, there it was a big deal because a food product should be the same the fucking thing every time. Games are not built like that, at all, ever. Kind of the point of why the analogy is terrible and you walked right into it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 08:39 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 04:04:
The common sense difference there is Coke is always the same fucking thing, every time you have it.

Except when it isn't, and everyone (rightly) throws a shit fit.

Kind of the point of that analogy I assume and you walked right into it.

18. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 04:04 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 03:59:
As for my analogy, I'm not really sure what you find wacky about it. Makes perfect sense, really. Expectations are determined by labels. That's why labels are important. We rely on labels to make life easier. If I recognize a label, I expect it to be accurate. If I buy a Coke, it should taste like a Coke, not a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. Likewise, if I buy a Splinter Cell game, it should play like a stealth game, as established by all the other games that carry that label.

You may not care about labels and that's fine but you should at least understand why others consider them important.

The common sense difference there is Coke is always the same fucking thing, every time you have it. Games inherently change over time and with each release, even if they are built to be extremely similar to previous games in that series.

What you call logical reliance on a label and not obsessing over game coverage I call being an uneducated consumer. Why the fuck would anyone drop $60 on any media product without knowing more than the title of it? Insanity.

17. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 03:59 Jerykk

I will say if you ignored all previews and videos and bought the game anyway expecting Chaos Theory again then yeah, you might be pissy, but that was your fault for buying something with no research wasn't it? I mean you already know this game is not really stealth from watching the early media... that didn't take much effort on your part to figure out.

Thankfully, I didn't buy Conviction. I already knew that the game had forsaken its stealth roots based on preview coverage. However, you shouldn't assume that all consumers keep up with videogame news like we do. The average gamer doesn't read IGN or Gamespot on a daily basis. If they see a Splinter Cell game, they'll assume that it plays like all the other Splinter Cell games. This is a fair assumption, as it is accurate of all labels.

As for my analogy, I'm not really sure what you find wacky about it. Makes perfect sense, really. Expectations are determined by labels. That's why labels are important. We rely on labels to make life easier. If I recognize a label, I expect it to be accurate. If I buy a Coke, it should taste like a Coke, not a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. Likewise, if I buy a Splinter Cell game, it should play like a stealth game, as established by all the other games that carry that label.

You may not care about labels and that's fine but you should at least understand why others consider them important.

16. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 6, 2012, 05:29 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 04:59:
I feel it's fairly important to hold publishers and/or developers accountable for their marketing decisions. Labels are important, as they determine expectations and are thus used to judge a product's success in meeting those expectations. If I order a steak at a restaurant, I expect to get a steak, not a salad. The salad might be pretty tasty but it's not what I ordered. I don't care if the restaurant wanted to try something different or appeal to a larger demographic. I ordered a steak. Same thing applies to videogames. If I buy a Splinter Cell, I'm expecting a stealth game because that's what all the previous games have been. That's why I enjoyed the previous games and that's why the brand has any meaning to me. If you give me a shooter instead, I'm not going to be happy because that's not what I wanted, even if it ends up being a perfectly competent shooter.

That's one of your wackier analogies and I'm going to ignore it, no offense. No real comparison there.

I will say if you ignored all previews and videos and bought the game anyway expecting Chaos Theory again then yeah, you might be pissy, but that was your fault for buying something with no research wasn't it? I mean you already know this game is not really stealth from watching the early media... that didn't take much effort on your part to figure out.

I like good games. What is written on the box is pretty much completely irrelevant to me. I watch gameplay videos on youtube or giantbomb, read a preview or review from a journalist I trust and usually agree with, and then I purchase. I don't really give a shit what the game is called or what a game 10 years ago was like.

15. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 6, 2012, 04:59 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 13:45:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:36:
If Conviction wasn't an SC game, I probably would have been more forgiving. However, if you're going to attach yourself to a certain brand, you need to meet the expectations that brand has established. Conviction failed to do this.

That's a common sentiment, but I've just never really cared what was written on the box when it comes to enjoying gameplay or not. I can be disappointed it's not another Chaos Theory, but once I start playing the game all that matters is how good that game is on its own.

I feel it's fairly important to hold publishers and/or developers accountable for their marketing decisions. Labels are important, as they determine expectations and are thus used to judge a product's success in meeting those expectations. If I order a steak at a restaurant, I expect to get a steak, not a salad. The salad might be pretty tasty but it's not what I ordered. I don't care if the restaurant wanted to try something different or appeal to a larger demographic. I ordered a steak. Same thing applies to videogames. If I buy a Splinter Cell, I'm expecting a stealth game because that's what all the previous games have been. That's why I enjoyed the previous games and that's why the brand has any meaning to me. If you give me a shooter instead, I'm not going to be happy because that's not what I wanted, even if it ends up being a perfectly competent shooter.

14. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 13:45 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:36:
If Conviction wasn't an SC game, I probably would have been more forgiving. However, if you're going to attach yourself to a certain brand, you need to meet the expectations that brand has established. Conviction failed to do this.

That's a common sentiment, but I've just never really cared what was written on the box when it comes to enjoying gameplay or not. I can be disappointed it's not another Chaos Theory, but once I start playing the game all that matters is how good that game is on its own.

13. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 12:36 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 06:13:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 22:37:
Splinter Cell: Conviction was awful.

I wouldn't say awful at all. A step down from Chaos Theory certainly, and barely a stealth game, but as a "hunter" action-stealth experience I quite enjoyed it.

PC port was blah though. Still, better than playing on console.

I tried one of the SC games a while back (can't remember which one now), but just couldn't make sense of the stealth mechanics really. It seemed almost random whether you would get spotted or not and was just a lot of trial-and-error stuff that got boring quickly.

Really? I thought the light and sound meters were pretty straightforward. Basically, you want to stay in the darkest shadows and never move quickly enough to generate too much noise. There's nothing really random about it at all.

12. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 11:35 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 06:13:

I wouldn't say awful at all. A step down from Chaos Theory certainly, and barely a stealth game, but as a "hunter" action-stealth experience I quite enjoyed it.

I found Conviction fun for what it was, but then I wasn't really a fan of the SC games anyway, so it was pretty much stand-alone for me. I tried one of the SC games a while back (can't remember which one now), but just couldn't make sense of the stealth mechanics really. It seemed almost random whether you would get spotted or not and was just a lot of trial-and-error stuff that got boring quickly.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 08:01 baltar

Did they confirm Keyboard support???

I just couldn't resist..

10. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 06:13 StingingVelvet

9. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 StingingVelvet

One of my favorite series, but mostly for the 1st and 3rd games. The last couple were meh and I'm not sure I can rely on them to improve things. We shall see.  

8. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 Steele Johnson

I thought Conviction was a really fun co-op game. I didn't even bother playing the single-player. Me and a friend just blasted through and was one of the most entertaining co-op games I've played in a while.  

7. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 23:17 RollinThundr

Clancy wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:35:
This is Ubi, so that means, you must always be online to play, and hand over your first newborn.

Yet so few are playing Diablo 3. Oh wait.

6. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 23:03 Techie714 ©

Talutha wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 23:01:
Found it, you can hear the representative say, "Now that Sam is the leader of 4th Echelon" or something along those lines. It is at the 51-52 minute mark.

http://twitch.tv/gamespot/b/320358181

Thank you for that you clarified it well. Yea conviction was crap I agree.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 23:01 Talutha

Found it, you can hear the representative say, "Now that Sam is the leader of 4th Echelon" or something along those lines. It is at the 51-52 minute mark.

http://twitch.tv/gamespot/b/320358181

4. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 22:56 Talutha

2. I thought Fisher was on the run & 3rd Echelon was after him? I could be wrong its been awhile since I played the last one.

It's been a while since I beat the latest one as well but from what I remember 3rd Echelon was most likely dissolved after the failed assassination attempt on the president. I saw the E3 conference with Microsoft earlier today and in the Splinter Cell video they mention 4th Echelon which I'm assuming is a new branch that Sam is the head of. I'll try to find the video and come back with it.

3. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 22:37 Jerykk

I'm a big fan of this IP I've played all the SC games & have enjoyed every one of them. They seem to get better each time. But I have some questions.

I totally disagree. Splinter Cell was good, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow was not so good, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was awesome, Splinter Cell: Double Agent was not so good and Splinter Cell: Conviction was awful. Blacklist looks even worse than Conviction. Whatever happened to being stealthy? Now you can just run and gun and call in airstrikes.

2. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 18:35 Clancy

This is Ubi, so that means, you must always be online to play, and hand over your first newborn.

1. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 4, 2012, 17:16 Techie714 ©

I'm a big fan of this IP I've played all the SC games & have enjoyed every one of them. They seem to get better each time. But I have some questions.

1. WTF!! That is NOT Sam Fisher! Yet the guys name is Sam in the video? Is this a "new re-imagined" Sam Fisher?
2. I thought Fisher was on the run & 3rd Echelon was after him? I could be wrong its been awhile since I played the last one.

If this is a "reboot"...Fuck that!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo