Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Assisting Big Huge Games

An update from Dr. Michael Capps on the Epic Games Website explains how Epic Games is stepping up to the aide of Big Huge Games, the developer of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning that was closed by the recent demise of 38 Studios. The post outlines plans to launch a new studio in Baltimore centered around the former BHG staff, and in the meantime Epic is bringing in some of them to do contract work. Here's a bit:

It’ll take a while to find space, set up desks and PCs, purchase sufficient Nerf weaponry and Dr. Pepper, etc. But some of these folks have been going too long without a paycheck to wait for that. So, as soon as we can, we’re going to try to get people working down here at Epic headquarters in Cary, NC as contractors.

There’s a million things to work out. How many of the team can we hire? What will it be called? What will they be working on? We don’t know all the answers yet. Please give us some time to figure it out; we hope to have more to share soon.

The way we see it, there’s been a big storm in Baltimore, and we’re taking in a few of the refugees — as are the awesome folks at Zynga East, Zenimax Online, and other southeastern studios. Epic’s in a situation where we can do this, and it very clearly fits with our company values, so we’re going to give it a whirl.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 21:00 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 20:30:
Prez wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 20:05:
Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ - what the fuck happened to this thread?? Every other thread these days seems to break out in this nonsense. Take that political bullshit somewhere else for fuck's sake.

I was going to comment on what a decent thing Epic is doing, but who wants to discuss the topic, right?

Are you not following the story Prez? You're surprised that a 38 Studios story involves politics?

Rhode Island legislature made a bad choice to subsidize a questionable start-up company with taxpayer money under a program aimed at bringing businesses and jobs to the state. The company failed, so another company is hiring some of those who lost their jobs in an effort to keep a decent studio from being brought down with it. I'm not seeing the connection to the current discussion. Looks like a hijack to me, but whatever.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 20:33 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:37:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:31:
Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:52:
Oh god a Ron Paulian... that's almost worse.

It's the definition of selfish, and considering our country is being destroyed by selfishiness, it's absolutely the worst.

What's weird is how many selfish people want to give everything they have to those born wealthier than themselves, though... Poor people shouldn't have a dime of their money, but the rich should be able to take huge chunks of their income, if only because they already have a lot of it...

Sure, it's being destroyed by selfishness. Selfish corporations who take government handouts and influence the day to day operations of our government on a ridiculous level. And selfish people who think I should give what I earn to them because they are somehow more in need of it than I am.

BTW, Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin. They give 2 shits about people. They are in it for money and power. They just have different slogans. They're like Pepsi and Coke. Catchy jingle, sugary taste. At the end of the day they leave you fat with empty calories and holding a huge dentist bill for someone else.

Well, they care about people - themselves. They do what it takes to get reelected. Corporations and rich people play a larger role.
And yes, some people are more in need of your money than you are. You shouldn't think of it that way, though - think of it as you paying a little to help the whole. A healthier whole will lead you to be better off than a weaker whole, and it's worthwhile to kick a little bit back in order to reach that goal. A healthy economy has less disparity between the richest, the poorest and the median. The more that gets stretched out the weaker the economy, and eventually there's a snap.
We've been moving in such a weird direction based upon Republican tax policy. The distance between the poorest and the median isn't moving much, but the distance between the wealthiest and the median has moved exponentially. That's a sign of a weak middle class and spending power being extremely disproportionate.

Too much spending power in the hands of too few people and you get a snap. Remember, it isn't that the wealthiest are making more money, it's that they're making more share, meaning more money at the expense of everyone else. Still baffles me that anyone supports this. Eventually things collapse due to it.

Honestly, I've said it before, I don't have issue with raising taxes, but there comes a point where the people that actively rely on welfare, and refuse to better themselves or take any responsibility for their lives and instead want to just live off the government tit for the rest of their lives, popping out babies every couple years for a bigger check, should be held accountable. Along with the people who can work but are lazy and game the broken welfare system we have.

This whole entitlement from the womb mentality the US and really the world has these days is ridiculous. There's no longer such a thing as personal responsibility or work ethic, just gimme gimme gimme, I deserve it.

The bigger issue however is spending. The pie isn't finite, if you work hard and put the effort in anyone can be successful, some people due to their upbringing will obviously have a harder time at doing so, but success is attainable by anyone willing to put the time and effort in to make a life for themselves.

I'd be far more worried with how much we keep spending at the government level, than anything else, when you have a president spend 5 trillion dollars in 3 and a half years, and sure some of that is inherited war spending, and spending in general from the previous administration, and have zero to show for it along the lines of jobs created, or the economy recovering because once again rather than let the free market correct itself, the government had to step in and bail out companies with tax payer money, and as usual when the government touches anything, they fuck it up. You know there's a spending problem.

Government has gotten too big, too bloated, and so far beyond We The People at this point, if we don't start seriously making some changes soon, we won't have any chance of sustainability.

36. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 20:30 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 20:05:
Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ - what the fuck happened to this thread?? Every other thread these days seems to break out in this nonsense. Take that political bullshit somewhere else for fuck's sake.

I was going to comment on what a decent thing Epic is doing, but who wants to discuss the topic, right?

Are you not following the story Prez? You're surprised that a 38 Studios story involves politics?

35. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 20:05 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 18:37 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:31:

It's the definition of selfish, and considering our country is being destroyed by selfishiness, it's absolutely the worst.

What's weird is how many selfish people want to give everything they have to those born wealthier than themselves, though... Poor people shouldn't have a dime of their money, but the rich should be able to take huge chunks of their income, if only because they already have a lot of it...

Sure, it's being destroyed by selfishness. Selfish corporations who take government handouts and influence the day to day operations of our government on a ridiculous level. And selfish people who think I should give what I earn to them because they are somehow more in need of it than I am.

BTW, Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin. They give 2 shits about people. They are in it for money and power. They just have different slogans. They're like Pepsi and Coke. Catchy jingle, sugary taste. At the end of the day they leave you fat with empty calories and holding a huge dentist bill for someone else.

Well, they care about people - themselves. They do what it takes to get reelected. Corporations and rich people play a larger role.
And yes, some people are more in need of your money than you are. You shouldn't think of it that way, though - think of it as you paying a little to help the whole. A healthier whole will lead you to be better off than a weaker whole, and it's worthwhile to kick a little bit back in order to reach that goal. A healthy economy has less disparity between the richest, the poorest and the median. The more that gets stretched out the weaker the economy, and eventually there's a snap.
We've been moving in such a weird direction based upon Republican tax policy. The distance between the poorest and the median isn't moving much, but the distance between the wealthiest and the median has moved exponentially. That's a sign of a weak middle class and spending power being extremely disproportionate.

Too much spending power in the hands of too few people and you get a snap. Remember, it isn't that the wealthiest are making more money, it's that they're making more share, meaning more money at the expense of everyone else. Still baffles me that anyone supports this. Eventually things collapse due to it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 18:31 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 18:24 Agent.X7

killer_roach wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 18:18:
alvador wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:41:
I've been lurking on Blue's for a decade or more but practically never say anything- not entirely sure why I feel the need to say this here and now, but the amount of misinformation that has been put out on the whole situation is infuriating.

*snip*

Agreed. People can say what they want about whether or not the subsidies are a good thing, but when you're expecting them and they don't show up, that not only throws a wrench into the whole operations, but also calls into question about whether government can be considered a reliable partner in business operations (personal bias: it probably isn't).

Yeah, I don't know as any intelligent person would consider any government "reliable." (Unless you are relying on them to be unpredictable and insane, then sure, they're pretty spot on with that.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

31. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 18:24 Beamer

-------------

30. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 18:18 killer_roach

alvador wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:41:
I've been lurking on Blue's for a decade or more but practically never say anything- not entirely sure why I feel the need to say this here and now, but the amount of misinformation that has been put out on the whole situation is infuriating.

*snip*

Agreed. People can say what they want about whether or not the subsidies are a good thing, but when you're expecting them and they don't show up, that not only throws a wrench into the whole operations, but also calls into question about whether government can be considered a reliable partner in business operations (personal bias: it probably isn't).

29. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 17:52 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:46:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:05:
Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:12:
nin wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 16:08:

/Facepalm Typical elitist liberal douchebag. Of course Cutter, you know better than someone who actually was an employee there, let me guess Trevon Martin was killed solely because he was black too right?

Wow...light that keg.

Especially given Cutter's use of "handouts," "small business owner" and "job creators," I don't see how that's "elitist liberal douchebag."

I also fail to see what's wrong about being an elitist. Fuck humanity - almost everyone is stupid as shit.

Aww shucks I missed his vitriol filled reply too. Based on Cutter's post history he's certainly left leaning, there's not much dispute there I don't think.

Pretty sure he, like many here, is fairly hard libertarian, not liberal.

28. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 17:46 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:05:

/Facepalm Typical elitist liberal douchebag. Of course Cutter, you know better than someone who actually was an employee there, let me guess Trevon Martin was killed solely because he was black too right?

Wow...light that keg.

Especially given Cutter's use of "handouts," "small business owner" and "job creators," I don't see how that's "elitist liberal douchebag."

I also fail to see what's wrong about being an elitist. Fuck humanity - almost everyone is stupid as shit.

Aww shucks I missed his vitriol filled reply too. Based on Cutter's post history he's certainly left leaning, there's not much dispute there I don't think.

Pretty sure he, like many here, is fairly hard libertarian, not liberal.

-------------

27. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 17:40 Smellfinger

alvador wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:43:
You are corresponding right now with an actual resident of RI who got an actual job (desperately needed, BTW)- I can think of at least 15 or 20 other longtime RI residents who were working at 38...

They should have had you guys digging ditches and laying concrete. America is awash in mediocre video games, but the roads could really use some work.

26. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 17:05 RollinThundr

Wow...light that keg.

25. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 16:54 alvador

You, sir, are a class act. Have you considered running for political office?

<edit> If you seriously doubt I'm an ex-employee of 38 Studios, go back and check out who told Blue about the Copernicus trailer, about 30 seconds after it was released on YouTube. </edit>

24. removed Jun 4, 2012, 16:45 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 4, 2012, 16:53.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 16:12 Beamer

Wow...light that keg.

-------------

22. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 16:08 nin

Wow...light that keg.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 15:57 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:49:
Ruffiana wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 13:11:
Yes, except the vast majority of the money lent to 38 studios goes right back into the local economy as they use it to pay interest on said loans, taxes, rent, utilities, and payroll to their employees (who in turn turn around and put their share back into the local economy through taxes, rent, utilities, food, gas, clothing, etc etc.)

It's not like this money just vanished into the ether or ended up in a foreign bank account.

That's not true at all. All your doing is redistributing tax money in an unfair manner. And given that the taxpayers of RI are now left holding the bag it just means a bunch of people got a free ride for a year and few of them made out like bandits. 38/BHG were government employees for all intents and purposes. And though I keep asking, no one seems to know or wants to admit to how many actual jobs were created for actual residents of RI. From everything I can gather it wasn't much. The fact remains that most people were opposed to the deal in the first place and for good reason. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out a company with no track record involved in a risky venture for a lot of money probably won't bode well in the end.

Now, how they taken that money and at least risked it on small businesses - the real jobs creator - they would have seen some failure but they would have seen a lot more success and it also guarentees local jobs for local people. As an ex-small business owner myself - who will be back in biz for himself again one day soon - I get incensed when the government tells me they have't got dime one for me to create immediate local jobs for a fraction of the cost of some big business who creates much less employment overall and gives back a lot less to the community because of their tax breaks, etc. For 1% of that loan I could start a business employing 5 people tomorrow - just to start.

JFC

20. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 15:43 alvador

38/BHG were government employees for all intents and purposes.
Citation please.

Given that the state fronted NO MONEY, you are just flaunting your reading comprehension fail. Shall I say it again? 38 Studios spent $0.00 RI taxpayer dollars. All capital raised was private capital, in spite of the twisted portrayal of this by the press and the governor's office. RI was absolutely on the hook for the money, but ONLY IF 38 FAILED. Caps for the comprehension impaired. 38 had not failed yet, and despite anyone's own personal interpretation of our company or the MMO market we were NOT failing- it wasn't until the governor "helped" us that things began to circle the drain.

You are corresponding right now with an actual resident of RI who got an actual job (desperately needed, BTW)- I can think of at least 15 or 20 other longtime RI residents who were working at 38- there may have been more but I didn't work in HR- and the vast majority of the employees moved to the state; paying RI state income tax, paying rent/mortages to RI landlords and banks, spending their ENTIRE paychecks here, every month- how does that not qualify as an "actual resident"? 38 was brought here to create jobs, and possibly lure some of the MA tech industry to come down here to replace some of the thousands of manufacturing jobs that have fled RI, never to return. Guess what? It was working as intended.

19. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 15:02 Providence Resident

The jobs created in RI due to 38 Studios were largely jobs outside of the studio. In the days after the closing of 38 Studios new reports were stating a reduction in sales at Providence businesses of around 35%.38-studios-layoffs-take-toll-on-local-businesses

That's how you increase business, and fight unemployment. You find companies that support the rest of your local economy. Other states have successfully supported the creation of tech hubs which in turn create more jobs on many levels.

One might even think that Hasbro moving one of their divisions into downtown Providence was related to Rhode Island trying to start a Providence tech hub. Hasbro Moves to Providence

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo