Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Is Siri a failure? Jun 5, 2012, 07:29 InBlack

Why would you even give a Toddler an Ipad?? A fucking Ipad!!?? I was lucky if I got to play with a plastic shovel in the dirt at that age....

This smells of bad parenting. Not the tantrum itself that is natural, but you dont have to be a psych major to figure out what a total tool the father is and that the child is spoiled rotten. Oh well...the worst thing that will happen is that he will grow up into a successful Wallstreet executive who always gets what he wants and who ruins people's lives for a living.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Is Siri a failure? Jun 4, 2012, 22:59 Prez

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 22:13:
Prez wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 20:16:
I never got the whole voice-activated thing. I mean, unless you are handicapped in some way - like you are blind or have no hands - why can't you just type the shit out or hit a couple of buttons instead of sounding like an idiot trying to get whatever device it is to process what you are saying? Seems like a gimmicky techno weenie fad to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxKhUuZ0Rc
Laugh2

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: Is Siri a failure? Jun 4, 2012, 22:13 SpectralMeat

I never got the whole voice-activated thing. I mean, unless you are handicapped in some way - like you are blind or have no hands - why can't you just type the shit out or hit a couple of buttons instead of sounding like an idiot trying to get whatever device it is to process what you are saying? Seems like a gimmicky techno weenie fad to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxKhUuZ0Rc

Steam: SpectralMeat

48. Re: Is Siri a failure? Jun 4, 2012, 20:28 Dades

Typing on smartphones is a pain in the ass and its often much quicker to just snap out a quick voice memo or speech recognition thing. There are also many situations where you can't type like in the car so instead you can just quickly ask the dumb Siri thing to give you directions.

47. Re: Is Siri a failure? Jun 4, 2012, 20:16 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Is Siri a failure? Jun 4, 2012, 18:38 Klaus Flouride

I think so. Hell, up until about two weeks ago when you asked it what the best smartphone in the world was it responded, Nokia Lumia 900. Once Apple heard about it they modified it's search results to say, 'the one you're holding, of course'. LOL  

When all else fails empty the magazine...

45. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 17:50 eRe4s3r

Well... that is why you have at least 2 independent NGO's overseeing this... it's not like you could ever prevent corruption in any system but if we go that route, there are many ways to make it nearly 99.9% tamper proof.

Though I agree that maybe the extrapolation to foster homes is a bit far reaching.. there could always be some other, less harsh but still as much hurting penalties for failure to pass the parenting exam. Like tax... or you get coupons for children related stuff when you pass.

Man.. don't get me started.. I could list dozens of incentives for this that could make it work even without sanctions.. my point merely is that becaus the media does not make it a topic we will never get there. politicians would only get negative PR if they tried...

44. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 17:38 Silicon Avatar

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:43:
I still think parenting should require a mandatory exam. Like the driver exam.

People (officials, etc.) would abuse that power guaranteed.

43. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:49 Cutter

As if the Universe itself were agreeing with me what did I just see walking down the road as I went to the library? A girl who looked all of about 16, probably around 6 months pregnant, smoking a cigarette and drinking a Red Bull. Probably Rollin Thunder's daughter or some relation most likely.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

42. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:18 SpectralMeat

Alamar wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:55:
Punishing a 2-4 year old for something they did, 5 hours after the incident, screams bad parenting (to me),

-Alamar

Guess I should have been more clear.
They were behaving badly just before we left the airfield it was a 30 minutes ride home and they were miss behaving in the car on the way home, which is when we told them there will be time out when we get home.

Not that I need internet approval of how I discipline my kids but I thought I'd clear it up for you a little so you know what happened, instead of assume.

Steam: SpectralMeat

41. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:15 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:39:
I disagree. Unless there is something seriously medically wrong with a child than no. For a normal kid all you have to do is apply operant behavior techniques, same as dogs

You can't sum up parenting into a single sentence likened to training animals but whatever, I think it's obvious at this point that our ideas of parenting are divergent. Good luck with that approach I guess

Well, operant conditioning is a tool, not a panacea. It works well for some things.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:12 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 13:40:
Is kids using electronic devices uniformly considered a bad thing?

The AMA says NO screen time before age 2, then only an hour or less per day on average after that. The big problem is that mental activity in the brain flatlines, and the brain stops growing during those periods. Because of this, TV watching directly correlates with increased risk of ADHD: 1 hour per day increases the chance by 10%, 2 hours by 20%, etc. Games have some interactivity, but many games become rote, thus the effect is the same as TV.

We have no cable TV, only discs and Netflix (the computer is PW protected), so the kids can only watch after homework, dinner, shower, and teeth. Many nights there's no TV at all as we play board games, read books, play Legos or whatever.

That being said, there's a place for TV and games. My daughter loves SupCom, and the complexity and management aspects of it exercise her brain somewhat. My son loves Dirt 2, and laughs and laughs while playing which also has neurological benefit. Both of them watch Backyardigans sometimes, and sing the songs from the show for days afterwards.

39. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 16:09 Verno

Parenting is evolving with your child (and yourself, as many young parents grow up, in different ways, with their kids - which I'm sure someone would like to take out of context and exaggerate : )...

Thank you and well said.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

38. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:55 Alamar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:05:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 13:55:
So, IMO electronics are only bad if you are using them as a babysitter or pacifier. I think they are wonderful as a reward. But that could go for just about anything, not just electronics. It depends on what the child is interested in... holding back the "most interesting item" as the reward item.

EDIT: Oh, and a big mistake I see many parents make... one has to stick with what they said. If the child didn't do as they were told... you don't just give them the iPad anyway. As a matter of fact I wouldn't let them play with it for the whole day. One needs to reinforce "I mean what I say, and you will obey".

+1 on that, that is exactly what me and my wife trying to do with the electronics.
As for stick what we say, this past weekend we went to an air show and the kids didn't listen to us, so we've promised them there will be time out when we get home, sure enough there was and they were crying and everything but we did stick to what we said.
It is tough most of the time because people generally love their kids and tend to be soft with them but it will bite back hard.

Different kids, and different ages, should be treated differently...

Punishing a 2-4 year old for something they did, 5 hours after the incident, screams bad parenting (to me), but doing so with an 8 year old is a whole other matter...

That's another thing 'know it all's' like some of the 'fine examples' of society we have going here seem to fail to realize. Parenting is evolving with your child (and yourself, as many young parents grow up, in different ways, with their kids - which I'm sure someone would like to take out of context and exaggerate : )...

-Alamar

37. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:52 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:43:
I still think parenting should require a mandatory exam. Like the driver exam. Parenting is one of the most vital things for humanity as a whole, and lot's of parents (just like lot's of dog owners) completely SUCK at it. Heck I took a 6 week session with professional dog trainers and I think that should be mandatory for every pregnant women and future father in the world. Heck, have the gov pay it for them, as long as they pass it they can have kids. If they fail, the kid gets taken off to foster homes until at least 1 of the parents passes.

I guess that is very insane to even consider nowadays, but I honestly believe it would lead to a better world. A much.. much.. less noisy world too.

And by the way.. Even if not mandatory and even if you disagree to my proposed method.. I think the state should at least teach parenting somehow...

Did anyone ever notice how there is this weird taboo whenever it comes to parenting and how most people suck at it? It's a topic I *never* have seen in media, at ALL. Even if cases of gross negligance come to light, it's always the fault of the mother/father but never the fault of the society that does not TEACH parenting. ... gah

Would that we could have an exam and a license to have kids. But I agree that this should be a mandatory course we teach Sr. year of high school. We've learned so much about child psychology. We know the effect of too much discipline and not enough discipline, and the import of finding the right balance. Parenting can absolutely be improved through study, and having a plethora of tools to deal with any situation is a true boon. Also, knowing the negative effects of things can help too. Did the father give the kid some chocolate or a Coke before the flight? It seems obvious, but I've seen so many parents feed sugar to their kids and then watch their kids explode out of control, and then the parents dismayed at why their kids are misbehaving.

I agree that this stuff can and should be taught, and even if you don't have children for a decade or two after you learn it. It comes back to you, or at least it can serve to remind you that it's out there and prompt you to go refresh your knowledge.

36. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:44 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:40:
avianflu wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:49:
I am a non-parent but....

if I had a toddler and was going on a plane I would give them a kid-version of over-the-counter antihistamine and then they sleep for 4 hours. No hissy fit and no tantrums. Problem solved for all.

It's actually a common technique to give kids children's Benadryl right before the flight.

It's not a technique I agree with (for behavioral control), but if one is going to use this method, one may as well go all the way.

35. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:43 Beamer

space captain wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:23:

either extreme produces bad results...

It's kind of fun to remember college - that kid that didn't do much and smoked a lot of weed had pretty lenient parents, and maybe flunked out, but that kid that aggressively partied his face off, ended up in the hospital and was kicked out for behavior issues definitely came from the strict household.

Indeed, it's about balancing and tailoring to your kid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:40 jdreyer

avianflu wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:49:
I am a non-parent but....

if I had a toddler and was going on a plane I would give them a kid-version of over-the-counter antihistamine and then they sleep for 4 hours. No hissy fit and no tantrums. Problem solved for all.

It's actually a common technique to give kids children's Benadryl right before the flight.

33. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:39 Verno

I disagree. Unless there is something seriously medically wrong with a child than no. For a normal kid all you have to do is apply operant behavior techniques, same as dogs

You can't sum up parenting into a single sentence likened to training animals but whatever, I think it's obvious at this point that our ideas of parenting are divergent. Good luck with that approach I guess

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

32. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 15:09 Cutter

Verno wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:54:
Have some kids then we'll talk about it. It's really easy to armchair quarterback parenthood without having a grasp on the complexity involved. Vague childhood memories often don't take into account all of the early life lessons and acting out. I know because I did it for a long time too :)

I've been with women who've had kids and they were the reason it didn't work out. Anytime I tried to instill discipline into the kid they'd get all overprotective. So, I'd see at that point it would never work and split. Those kids are going to grow up a mess. I know I was a good kid because my parents and relatives tell me so and my dad was very strict and by extension mom, because even if I tested the boundaries with her all she had to say were those magic words 'Wait till your father gets home.' and I'd be sitting up and flying right in a heartbeat.

I was like you three years ago before I met my GF and her daughter. All I can tell you is that it's a totally different thing than what you think it is and it's incredibly challenging. Discipline isn't a universal solution, in fact often times discipline can feed into attention seeking behavior and cause a child to develop a complex. The fact that you jumped on that told me you have no children because every kid is different. Some respond really well to discipline and some act out more and have to be manipulated/coaxed in a different way.

I disagree. Unless there is something seriously medically wrong with a child than no. For a normal kid all you have to do is apply operant behavior techniques, same as dogs. That's what I was implying with the Ubu line. My bud I mentioned, doesn't have to yell at his kids or even lift a hand he just has to play alpha with them - consistently, as others have said and we all agree on that point. He condemns bad behavior and rewards the good. It's not rocket surgery.

I get where you're coming from because for much of my life I passed judgment on others parenting. You see a video with an annoying child on a plane and assume shitty parent. Hey, maybe the parent is an idiot. Often times though you don't get the background and context, that's all I'm saying. It is a whole different ballgame in person, some kids are just bratty despite your best efforts and need to grow out of it. It's a guy thing to think that we can fix everything but some things just take time and patience. I say that as someone who is known for being pretty strict in our household by the way.

As someone who works in the service industry with the public all the time I constantly get to see those differences in good and bad parents. And it always comes down to the parent. Like eraser said, I've always said the same thing, if I had my way reproduction would be licensed by the state. Some people think I kid when I say that but I'm deadly serious. Far too many people out there breeding that shouldn't be - not even taking into account how bad overpopulation is and how much worse it's going to get. Soylent Green will be a reality one day soon at this rate - thay is is the species survives the resource wars.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo