Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Yahoo! Games - Is the Video Game Industry Dying? Thanks Joao.
Investors are also comparing current sales numbers to the cycle's peak, back when the Wii was a must-have device that retailers couldn't keep on store shelves. Now that demand for Nintendo's system has effectively dried up, the numbers can't compete.

If not for the recession, those Wii owners might have kept the industry on a fairly even keel. But the longevity of the economic downturn, coupled with the rise of the smart phone and the app market with its cheap games, stole much of Nintendo's audience away.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 17:56 ASeven

Flatline wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:50:
Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 07:59:
Flatline wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:34:
ASeven wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 22:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 22:10:
While I applaud indie titles whole-heartedly, I can count the number of indie titles on one hand that I haven't bought, played once, and deleted, sure I'd never even come back to them again. They tend to have a lower retension/play rate in my life than iphone apps.

All a matter of taste, I guess. This year I've played far more indies than mainstream games. Grimrock is easily my GotY still, I still play Frozen Synapse a lot and SpyParty, when it finally comes out, will probably captivate a lot of people if the beta is any indication.

Me, I find indies to deliver in quality and fun far more times than I found mainstream games.

I hadn't heard of Grimrock I'm gonna go check that out it looks good.

Frozen Synapse was cool for about 5 minutes and then it just... got boring for me.

I keep trying because I want to encourage indie development, but I haven't found something that "hits" yet.

Grimlock was too restrictive for me (people whine about "on rails" but this game is on a track. Yes, you can choose where that track goes, but the choice to make a first person tile based game isn't one I agree with - it feels too much like first person Zork, only everything you explore looks identical," and I hated Frozen Synapse being a real time game.

Try Mount & Blade, though. Man, I put 7 hours into that game in 2 sessions. Far too much fun.

I keep meaning to get to M&B.

If you get it and find the multiplayer aspect fun, for me M&B:Warband MP is the best fun you can have right now in MP, get the Napoleon expansion. It may look crude but damn that expansion has more fun packed into it than 99% of the games out there right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 15:18 Beamer

Flatline wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 14:50:
While I applaud indie titles whole-heartedly, I can count the number of indie titles on one hand that I haven't bought, played once, and deleted, sure I'd never even come back to them again. They tend to have a lower retension/play rate in my life than iphone apps.

All a matter of taste, I guess. This year I've played far more indies than mainstream games. Grimrock is easily my GotY still, I still play Frozen Synapse a lot and SpyParty, when it finally comes out, will probably captivate a lot of people if the beta is any indication.

Me, I find indies to deliver in quality and fun far more times than I found mainstream games.

Frozen Synapse was cool for about 5 minutes and then it just... got boring for me.

I keep trying because I want to encourage indie development, but I haven't found something that "hits" yet.

Grimlock was too restrictive for me (people whine about "on rails" but this game is on a track. Yes, you can choose where that track goes, but the choice to make a first person tile based game isn't one I agree with - it feels too much like first person Zork, only everything you explore looks identical," and I hated Frozen Synapse being a real time game.

Try Mount & Blade, though. Man, I put 7 hours into that game in 2 sessions. Far too much fun.

I don't know if I'll get bored with it the way I do X-COM (e.g., after a while a few billion identical fights get tiresome), but I'm finding it seriously fascinating for right now. And that's just the battles - I've barely scratched the surface of the non-battlefield stuff, nor do I understand what to do or what is even possible. I've just been recruiting peasants to go out and kill other peasants...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 14:50 Flatline

28. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 13:37 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 12:37:
Neither of those websites list their sources either.

The first one does but they don't link them. The sources are just Bethesda, Zenimax and Steam (presumably the only Steam stat is the max number of concurrent users).

27. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 12:37 Jerykk

Neither of those websites list their sources either.  

26. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

Those numbers don't seem to back up a claim of 5 million copies sold on Steam. The first one suggests just 1.4M sold on PC (and 4 times more sold on 360). And the second says 2.21 global sales, with over half coming from Europe? And VGChartz is notorious for using basically made-up numbers.  

25. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 11:53 Illumin

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 01:41:
Love it or hate it look at Skyrim over 5 million on Steam alone.

You have a source for that number? Valve doesn't release sales figures for other companies' games and I don't think Bethesda has released any platform-specific numbers for Skyrim either.

Ill look for the Steam one but here is some info on Skyrim as of 2/4/12

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

This shows world wide PC sales of Skyrim: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49111/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2012, 12:00.

24. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 07:59 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 07:19 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:40:
Are sensationalist headlines designed to troll page hits dying?

Evidently not, going by the number of people who have bitten.

- Quboid

22. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 04:51 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 01:41:

You have a source for that number? Valve doesn't release sales figures for other companies' games and I don't think Bethesda has released any platform-specific numbers for Skyrim either.

Yeah, I'd be interested to know hard numbers too. Skyrim has been in the Steam top 10 (often at #1) for the past seven months straight. It must have sold millions, but how many?

"phew. Was going to have nin get out of the van and go knock on the door...." - Bats

21. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 04:48 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:40:

Exactly. I'm not gonna give a fcking headline like that the time of day.

"phew. Was going to have nin get out of the van and go knock on the door...." - Bats

20. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 02:06 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:23:
killer_roach wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:56:
As I see it, there's quite a few gems in the indie gaming scene - but the overwhelming majority of it is flotsam.
Isn't it that way in the big publisher scene too?

It's probably an order of magnitude worse in the indie scene. Then again, the cost of a bad idea is much lower in indie gaming, so there's invariably going to be more of an attitude of "throw some ideas at the wall and see what sticks".

19. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 01:41 Jerykk

18. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 00:54 Illumin

Make a game that dosn't suck and its going to see some great sales. Love it or hate it look at Skyrim over 5 million on Steam alone.
Digital distribution, and the fact that people are tired of buying $60 - $80 games they can't return are some of the factors. Many gamer's also play MMO's and multiplayer games like C.O.D / BF until something better comes along.

Of the 6 or 7 people I know that bought a Wii they never play it anymore, but everyone I know that has an xbox, ps3 or PC still plays. The game companies that are failing are the companies that can't put out and support a decent game.

17. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2012, 00:23 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:56:
As I see it, there's quite a few gems in the indie gaming scene - but the overwhelming majority of it is flotsam.
Isn't it that way in the big publisher scene too?

16. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 23:56 killer_roach

All a matter of taste, I guess. This year I've played far more indies than mainstream games.

Far easier to obtain indies than mainstream titles, to say the least.

As I see it, there's quite a few gems in the indie gaming scene - but the overwhelming majority of it is flotsam. Just as reliance on the mainstream gaming entities would result in a collapse due to the inevitable cost spiral, a reliance on indies would result in a similar collapse due to the pitiful quality/crap ratio (and the typically ephemeral lifespan of an indie developer).

Going forward, we see the mainstream pushing the indies to be more ambitious, and we have the indies pushing the mainstream to be more creative. And we're all better off for it.

15. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 23:40 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 23:34 Flatline

13. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 22:58 ASeven

Genesys wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 22:49:
Fion wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 16:13:
That said, PC Gaming is thriving right now. It doesn't put out the shear numbers that console games do, but it's the only traditional market that is growing, and growing fast.

That's because unlike console gamers, PC gamers aren't sheep.

Had to be done :)

Considering the success of sone games I would say PC gamers are sheep, very much so.

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 22:49 Genesys

Fion wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 16:13:
That said, PC Gaming is thriving right now. It doesn't put out the shear numbers that console games do, but it's the only traditional market that is growing, and growing fast.

That's because unlike console gamers, PC gamers aren't sheep.

Had to be done :)

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo