Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm planning to make burgers and chicken breasts on the man stove this evening. I'm working on refining a new technique I tried for the breasts for the first time recently: Starting them indirectly under aluminum pans before searing the outsides directly to finish them. First time out they were better than my perfected method for doing them directly, so I'm already way ahead of the game on this one.

R.I.P.: 'Family Feud' TV host Richard Dawson has died. Thanks Zarkonis.

Indirect Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Energy Physics: Robots Rebellion.
Links: Interviews With a Safecracker. Thanks Boing Boing.
Who Needs an Alarm Clock- Or a Good Night's Sleep.
Media: Skyrim Theme (A cappella with one voice).
How To Make a Baby.
ONE.
The Funnies: EXTRALIFE.
Pizza Pi.
FoxTrot.com.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2012, 20:20 PHJF

My father once brined the turkey at Thanksgiving. We ended up throwing it out. Apparently he used too much salt.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2012, 13:36  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 09:59:
Blue wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 06:35:
And I'm all about the brine. Never realized there were a bunch of non-brining heathens around here.

Bleu, as a guy that's worked with some incredible chefs you pick up things over the years about things like brining. Restos don't do it - again unless it's a flavour bath - because there's no need to. Seriously, try what I said and see. Tent loosely in foil/cook/remove foil for maillard reaction/eat. You will see it works out perfectly.

Well, I doubt those chefs were actually grilling over charcoal in their restaurants, but I have actually never seen much argument against brining from anyone. And it is indeed to impart flavor as well as moisture: I have garlic and lemon and pepper and more in the brine. Chicken turns out better than without it, and I've tried various ways.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2012, 09:59 Cutter

Blue wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 06:35:
space captain wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 15:35:
you always want to sear the meat first, not after you cook it through

otherwise its pointless .. the objective is to keep the moisture in

That's a myth. The sear is for flavor. It doesn't seal in squat.

And I'm all about the brine. Never realized there were a bunch of non-brining heathens around here.

Bleu, as a guy that's worked with some incredible chefs you pick up things over the years about things like brining. Restos don't do it - again unless it's a flavour bath - because there's no need to. Seriously, try what I said and see. Tent loosely in foil/cook/remove foil for maillard reaction/eat. You will see it works out perfectly.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2012, 06:35  Blue 

space captain wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 15:35:

That's a myth. The sear is for flavor. It doesn't seal in squat.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2012, 04:56 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 18:17:
Family Feud' TV host Richard Dawson has died.

ugh. My hero died. A drunk on tv kissing women. Good for him. I raise my drink to you sir!!!

Maybe so, but he was the best part of The Running Man. I remember his performance as evil and intense, if a bit over the top.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 23:55 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 18:17:

ugh. My hero died. A drunk on tv kissing women. Good for him. I raise my drink to you sir!!!

Seconded.

You don't need brine to have moist chicken - you just need to make sure you don't over cook the chicken.

And again, seconded. The only thing you need to brine are large turkeys given how long they have to be in the oven. Otherwise you never need to brine anything except to impart flavour. Simple way to retain moisture is tent the meat in foil then remove the foil for the last 15+/- minutes of cooking time. It should be plenty crisp outside and plenty juicy inside.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 23:03 Pineapple Ferguson

Richard Dawson was the best.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 22:15 Capella

Jack's chicken is the best around here. And they have damn good biscuits and gravy!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 22:02 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 22:00:
GTA4 at Amazon for PS3 and Xbox is 19.99 for GTA4 + Liberty Cities. ie: "Grand Theft Auto IV The Complete Edition"

Where's my bull shark testosterone?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 22:00 xXBatmanXx

GTA4 at Amazon for PS3 and Xbox is 19.99 for GTA4 + Liberty Cities. ie: "Grand Theft Auto IV The Complete Edition"  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 18:19 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 17:12:
Sir Graves wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 16:38:
I just buy KFC chicken. Done.

Ugh...I'll grant you that, a long time ago, they were good. Or maybe just the ones around here have gone down hill substantially.

I tend to go to popeyes anymore, as their biscuits are motherfucking AWESOME.

a better man than me once said
POPEYES CHICKEN IS FUCKING AWESOME!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 18:18 xXBatmanXx

Deadmeat wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 16:34:
I registered to tell you this, because saving people from shit BBQ chicken breast is worth the time.

Brine the chicken breast in a 5-8% brine (1 litre water to 50 grams salt) for 1-2 hours before cooking and they will remain moist even after searing (it doesn't matter if you sear first or last).

Mix up an appropriate amount of brine (depends on the container size you'll use) so that all the chicken will be completely submerged. Chill the brine in the fridge before use (otherwise the chicken heats up to the tap water temp and bacteria grow), then combine the chicken and the brine. A plastic container with a lid or a ziplock resealable bag (in a bowl incase it leaks) both work great, leave in fridge for 1-2 hours).

Drain the brine, pat dry with paper towels and rub with either a dry rub, butter + herbs + garlic, whatever your favourite is. You can add flavours to the brine mix too.

Using a probe thermometer is the best way to prevent overcooked meats, remember to take into account 'carryover heat' (temp rise of 2-4C after removing from heat). and be sure to rest meat before slicing.

edit: brining is also the key to lean pork cuts, although it's not necessary for fattier styles like pulled pork shoulder.

You don't need brine to have moist chicken - you just need to make sure you don't over cook the chicken.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 18:17 xXBatmanXx

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 18:00 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 17:30:

Ugh...I'll grant you that, a long time ago, they were good. Or maybe just the ones around here have gone down hill substantially.

THAT'S IT NIN! YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE! LEAVE MY KFC POT PIE AND MAC N CHEESE ALONE!

*sniffles and runs away*

One place I loved in California was Pioneer Chicken. Was simply the best chicken chain I've ever been to.

There's a place I went to in Dallas called Golden Chick that I think apart of a chain. They were tasty, also...

Hungry now...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 17:30 The Half Elf

THAT'S IT NIN! YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE! LEAVE MY KFC POT PIE AND MAC N CHEESE ALONE!

*sniffles and runs away*

One place I loved in California was Pioneer Chicken. Was simply the best chicken chain I've ever been to.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 17:12 nin

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 16:59 DrEvil

You only think you're buying chicken.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 16:38 Sir Graves

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 16:34 Deadmeat

I registered to tell you this, because saving people from shit BBQ chicken breast is worth the time.

Brine the chicken breast in a 5-8% brine (1 litre water to 50 grams salt) for 1-2 hours before cooking and they will remain moist even after searing (it doesn't matter if you sear first or last).

Mix up an appropriate amount of brine (depends on the container size you'll use) so that all the chicken will be completely submerged. Chill the brine in the fridge before use (otherwise the chicken heats up to the tap water temp and bacteria grow), then combine the chicken and the brine. A plastic container with a lid or a ziplock resealable bag (in a bowl incase it leaks) both work great, leave in fridge for 1-2 hours).

Drain the brine, pat dry with paper towels and rub with either a dry rub, butter + herbs + garlic, whatever your favourite is. You can add flavours to the brine mix too.

Using a probe thermometer is the best way to prevent overcooked meats, remember to take into account 'carryover heat' (temp rise of 2-4C after removing from heat). and be sure to rest meat before slicing.

edit: brining is also the key to lean pork cuts, although it's not necessary for fattier styles like pulled pork shoulder.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 15:35 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo