Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 7, 2012, 10:12 Ant

I just found out that I can apply for E3 badge to go to it from my employer even though they aren't related to games. "Damn it!" --Jack Bauer. A few of my colleagues went/are going too. Too bad I am not into newer (computer) games much like I used to. As you can see, I am way behind with BN.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 10:33 TheEmissary

Aside from the one or two major games presented at E3 and all the glitz there isn't a whole lot of substance. Every year we are caught up watching the game-play/teasers/live streams for sequels to games we are already playing. It is kind of hard not to fall victim to it but a couple months out you realize you didn't really see anything of note.

I probably would rather go to one of the PAX conventions to see indie games the community has developed and the other events like LAN parties.

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 07:50 Prez

E3 is relevant to gaming because it lets gamer geeks and nerds rub elbows with hot girls the likes of which they only ever see on the Internet. Wish I could go...  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 03:46 NewMaxx

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 13:58:
E3's relevant in the sense that it's one of the few times when the games industry gets a ton of mainstream press coverage. Though it's the main event of the year for the enthusiast press, that's not who it's really aimed at. It's to get the CNNs and USA Todays paying attention to gaming. I would say the real question of relevance is that of the opinion Neil Young, president of a company that's just riding the iOS fashion trend and who isn't even going to be at the show. If the show isn't relevant to the market your company caters to, then you really aren't in a position to comment on it objectively. But then again, neither is the organisation that runs it. If the show gets as much or more media attention this year than it did last year, it's still relevant. As usual, Apple fanboys seem to think that for their ecosystem to succeed, it has to be at the expense of another. Something always has to be the loser in discussions involving Apple.

Well said, pretty much spot-on.

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 02:38 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:01:
Mhh I guess you are both right.... To focus the media blowout this event serves well and to mainstream press as well.. but for gamers wouldn't it be better if we actually GET TO PLAY THE DEMO stuff instead of just see coverage of someone else playing?

It would be possibly nowadays. Why is it not done?

Because a demo would be a honest review that can't lie to the public and get money for a shoddy game from the paying public.

You can buy off media coverage (threaten to remove your ad dollars).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 01:14 Jim

I stopped giving a shit about E3 before Half-Life 2 came out

Hey, I wonder if 38 Studios will be presenting this year?

Jim

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2012, 00:48 Techie714

Smellfinger wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 12:37:
E3 is a dick-waving contest between major publishers and the press are their fluffer girls.

LOL!!!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 16:39 panbient

And here's the awesome Neil Young's version of the same message - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovum-GjYWKQ&ob=av2e  

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 16:16 Smellfinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:01:
Mhh I guess you are both right.... To focus the media blowout this event serves well and to mainstream press as well.. but for gamers wouldn't it be better if we actually GET TO PLAY THE DEMO stuff instead of just see coverage of someone else playing?

Because that would require developers and publishers to have enough confidence in their products to remove the unpaid propagandists (video game journalists) from the equation.

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 15:42 Spektr

Neil Young should do something with John Cash.  

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 14:01 eRe4s3r

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 13:58 Parallax Abstraction

E3's relevant in the sense that it's one of the few times when the games industry gets a ton of mainstream press coverage. Though it's the main event of the year for the enthusiast press, that's not who it's really aimed at. It's to get the CNNs and USA Todays paying attention to gaming. I would say the real question of relevance is that of the opinion Neil Young, president of a company that's just riding the iOS fashion trend and who isn't even going to be at the show. If the show isn't relevant to the market your company caters to, then you really aren't in a position to comment on it objectively. But then again, neither is the organisation that runs it. If the show gets as much or more media attention this year than it did last year, it's still relevant. As usual, Apple fanboys seem to think that for their ecosystem to succeed, it has to be at the expense of another. Something always has to be the loser in discussions involving Apple.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 13:54 Tumbler

For gamers the E3 is about as relevant as a 11th toe.. notice how the things that are *really* Interesting (News/Game Trailers/Announces) always come out a ways before or after the E3? That's because nobody sane wants to be drowned out by the PR FUD SPAM that always follows this corporation-only expo nowadays.

I think E3's very relevant today. Without this event most of these announcements would not be timed to give us this massive blowout of new stuff and the extra effort that goes into some of these things to get people interested.

I don't think attending the event is all that interesting anymore because the info comes out so insanely fast. It's not like in the past where you only get to read about it a month later or so. We're usually seeing the Keynote's live and the only thing you end up missing is behind closed door presentations which are generally something that they are not ready to show the public anyway.

The quality of video and gameplay they put out now is enough that I don't feel all that jealous of people who get to play the game at the event. The wait times and nonsense one has to put up with make the whole experience sound ridiculous.

I love all the news and trailers/gameplay clips we get because of E3. I can live with all the bullshit that goes along with it as long as I get to see the actual games as well. (gameplay clips, long, in HD, with someone talking to me just like they would someone who is going to write about it on a website.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 13:29 eRe4s3r

For gamers the E3 is about as relevant as a 11th toe.. notice how the things that are *really* Interesting (News/Game Trailers/Announces) always come out a ways before or after the E3? That's because nobody sane wants to be drowned out by the PR FUD SPAM that always follows this corporation-only expo nowadays.

And most games seen on the E3 are those we all know will come anyway. Who even needs a physical expo for games in the digital age? They could make it a virtual game-like thing where you walk through a virtual game floor with demos (with optional narration to explain stuff) for all games (This is actually what Onlive and GaiKai would be awesome for!)

But I guess the same could be said about all those entertainment expo's. All they are good for is for industry-insider handshaking and pseudo-press participating. Remove that from those Expo's, make them focus on the gamer and it'd be a win!

2. spud patrol Jun 2, 2012, 12:57 space captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9DNtyKS89k  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 12:37 Smellfinger

E3 is a dick-waving contest between major publishers and the press are their fluffer girls.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo