Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2012, 20:15 eRe4s3r

Well yeah those are 2 different systems, one is "split" from the other, in a sense, only connected with breakable beams. But you can't do that for that chassis, or even a small bump or jump could deform the chassis in unrealistic ways. That is why beam based physics have this jiggly property. They need to have beams that have some break value but if the physics are close to that break value they end up jiggling because they are close to bending. Likely they have a precision calculation problem that prevents them from making "non linear" break/bend transitions. This is why in Rig of Rods, or Rods of Rigs.. forgot ;p You have some weird jiggle behavior, particularly in large, heavy trucks or cranes.

And sorry for posting this old topic again, but I just remembered about it ;p I think beam physics are a great addition but they are not really gonna work as stand-alone physics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Spacequest Jun 3, 2012, 17:01 DrEvil

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 13:51:
Never thought the space quest series was very good.

Space Quest I-IV were actually pretty funny; with IV being my favourite.

V and VI clearly weren't so great; the breakup of the comedy duo showed.

The series I really missed is Quest for Glory though.

8. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2012, 03:45 eRe4s3r

That's not a car, that's a bloated tank  

7. Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3 Jun 3, 2012, 03:21 Fantaz

That youtube video got a ridiculous amount of views in such short time... All from word of mouth on social networks.  

6. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 22:57 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:11:
I dunno, it looked a bit too bouncy (the physics, not the car). Usually cars do not bounce back from crashes. That why we call this stuff in front the absorption zone. It's there to absorb the impact not to recoil.

Looks about like any crash test I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpZYsHXToY

Steam Profile

5. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 21:32 SectorEffector

eRe4s3r

I'd assume the settings are set above standard in order to help exaggerate the whats the physics are really doing to the model, where if it was as subtle as a pickup truck built in the 90's it might not sell what he's trying to advertise / exhibit here. Seeing the car have a bit of low gravity shows the system working better.

Imagine it's a game set in a scifi world etc, and a modder / dev wants to have an alien gun that melts a car down into some jello esque state / changes the car skin to a burnt texture this demo would sell me on how far it can be pushed. The game doesn't exist but this demo proves it can go that far.

Also in terms of connection failures on the softbody, I saw the mirror break off, and the front bumper become disconnected.

Really nice tech demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

4. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 14:49 Smellfinger

Great physics, awful foliage. I feel like we're at least a decade away from seeing decent outdoor areas in video games. It's certainly not going to happen on the next generation of consoles.  

3. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 14:11 eRe4s3r

I dunno, it looked a bit too bouncy (the physics, not the car). Usually cars do not bounce back from crashes. That why we call this stuff in front the absorption zone. It's there to absorb the impact not to recoil.

Also am I the only one who noticed that there is no deformation up or down of the chassis? It'd be interesting to see what happens when the car is dropped from a height down a concrete slap that should cut it through in the middle. Likely this system does not support connection failures (so that it creates 2 separate soft bodies) While the outer chassis is set to fall off the main chassis likely can only deform, and not actually SPLIT. And it's set to not even deform or basic driving could deform it. I guess....

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 14:18.

2. Spacequest Jun 2, 2012, 13:51 Ozmodan

Never thought the space quest series was very good.  

1. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 12:23 Bhruic

Holy crap is that physics demo impressive!  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo