Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars 1313 Details

The new episode of GameTrailers TV is online, featuring the Star Wars 1313 announcement that was leaked last night. Kicking off next week's E3 with a show 3000 miles away in New York GTTV introduces us to this new Star Wars franchise host Geoff Keighley calls a "massive new project." True to speculation based on the title, Star Wars 1313 allows players to act as a bounty hunter in 1313, an area of the planet Coruscant which creative director Dominic Robillard describes as "the most dangerous place in the galaxy," as it is apparently a wretched hive of scum and villainy that makes Mos Eisley look like a chain restaurant. They aren't prepared to discuss details about the character the player will take on, but discuss the game's setting and its third-person perspective but focuses more on technical tidbits like advanced facial animations, advanced lighting techniques. They promise the premiere of the first gameplay footage from the game on Monday night.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:20 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:20:
Are they really skeptical for the sake of being so though? There seems to be plenty of precedent in having low expectations. There's what, a handful or so of decent Star Wars games? Not many of them recent entries either. Put that against dozens of bad ones and LucasArts being really inconsistent in how it treats devs over the years.

Being extremely skeptical and negative based on this little info is annoying, I don't care what the history was. LA has made plenty of good games and who knows when they will again, this might be it, or it might not. There have been good Star Wars games as recently as The Force Unleashed, which while not OMG FUCKING AMAZING was a good hack n' slash game set in the right tone of Star Wars. If you don't like that genre then okay, but that has nothing to do with quality.

In any case, all I want is to hear more before I get skeptical or excited.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:10 Prez

Normally I'd council against too much negativity with so little info, but c'mon - is there a more abused license in entertainment than Star Wars? Doubts and skepticism are easy to understand whenever Star Wars is mentioned given the property's recent history in gaming.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 13:56 Ecthelion

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:20:
Are they really skeptical for the sake of being so though? There seems to be plenty of precedent in having low expectations. There's what, a handful or so of decent Star Wars games? Not many of them recent entries either. Put that against dozens of bad ones and LucasArts being really inconsistent in how it treats devs over the years.
Back before LucasArts started fucking up with Galaxies and Force Unleashed, SW games were very well received, and it had pretty much the best hit to miss ratio of any gaming franchise based on a movie/TV license. Star Trek, for example, has hardly any good games (the last good one came out a decade ago). SW has at least a dozen good - if not great - games, although most of them aren't recent. X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XWvTIE, XW Alliance, the Rogue Squadron games, KOTOR1 and 2, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight 1-3 were all great, and some of the others are arguably good. Even Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War were decent enough. Really, excluding Galaxies, up until the past 5 years (when we got FU1&2, SW Kinect, and KOTOR MMO), most of the major SW games (not including handheld and casual ones) were at least decent. Heck, even some of the Clone Wars games are passable. I'd say SW has a pretty good track record, although it has definitely had more misses than hits lately.

Unfortunately, outside of the excellent Lego SW games, Star Wars really hasn't had any good games in the past 5 years. Force Unleashed could have been great, but it was just mediocre, with a story that would make Jar-Jar cringe and gameplay that would make Ewoks cry.

This game could be the game FU should have been, but only time will tell. After all, FU was a "massive new project" when it was first announced, and look how that one turned out. I'm waiting for the gameplay footage to make any conclusions about it.

20. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 13:20 Verno

I'm with you SV. I welcome the prospect of a new SW game and the chance that it could be good. I'm not jumping for joy, but I'm also not bitter for the sake of being skeptical.

I really do hope that this turns out to be something on the level of Jedi Knight II, that would be awesome. I don't exactly think that's likely though. Actually you know what would be pretty cool? A GTA style sandbox game set in the Star Wars universe, almost like KOTOR but with better worldbuilding.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

19. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 13:12 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:34:
Oh look, negativity based on hardly anything. What a shocker.

I hope this is confirmed for PC. I love the idea of a darker bounty hunter game. Star Wars can be awesome when it's done right.
I'm with you SV. I welcome the prospect of a new SW game and the chance that it could be good. I'm not jumping for joy, but I'm also not bitter for the sake of being skeptical.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 13:12 deqer

does not matter what this game will be. the title is just stupid. who the hell wants to play a game with a stupid title? Star Wars 1313. lol

17. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 13:00 Paketep

"a wretched hive of scum and villainy that makes Mos Eisley look like a chain restaurant"

The Skywalker Ranch then?.

I hope this one is as good as Star Wars: Kinect. OMFG, was that a 15/10 game.

16. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:45 Iridium

Blah blah blah Arkham Asylum clone with Boba Fett and less compelling villains.  

15. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:33 Verno

This might or might not be a good game but I guess I just don't want it as badly as I do other genre entries with a Star Wars license. There isn't exactly a dearth of third person action titles. Star Wars games can be great when they're done right, too bad that's a rare occurrence.

My plea is to just remake TIE Fighter already and market it with a cartoon or whatever so it can sell a lot of copies. I don't know how we have a market where there is a Kinect Star Wars game and no TIE Fighter remake, its depressing. I'll probably have grand children before I see it, fucking hell.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 12:38.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

14. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:32 Cutter

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:59:
I lack faith in this game.

Velvet finds your lack of faith disturbing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:28 Jivaro

It isn't a space combat simulator like X-Wing or Tie Fighter, so I am not interested. Then again, even if it was a space combat game, they would probably make it a multi-platform rails shooter with arcade controls best suited for a gamepad, so perhaps its a good thing they aren't doing that.

Bright side is that it doesn't appear that it has any Han Solo dancing and singing segments.

12. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:17 NegaDeath

I'll withhold judgement for now. This could end up being anywhere between Force Unleashed II (bad) and Jedi Knight 2 (good).  

11. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:59 TangledThorns

I lack faith in this game.  

10. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:40 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:20:
The problem with this game is that itís going to be on the Xbox, so it will be pg13. They wonít be allowed to make it as dark as we would like for it to be. So it will ultimately end up being an epic fail.

Are PC games supposed to be darker than console games? This is something I hadn't heard before. Most of the controversial games in the last few years have all been on the consoles.

Star Was on the other hand is a generally PG property to begin with.

9. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:36 ColoradoHoudini

cover based.. sigh.

Gears of Star Wars .. just worse (guessing. but come on, we know it'll suck)

8. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:20 Darks

Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:19:
Maybe this will surprise us like prey 2 did...hahah haahhaha...ah no.

Yea and look where Prey 2 is at now. Not finished and its status unknown.

The problem with this game is that itís going to be on the Xbox, so it will be pg13. They wonít be allowed to make it as dark as we would like for it to be. So it will ultimately end up being an epic fail.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

7. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 11:05 Cutter

I hope this is confirmed for PC. I love the idea of a darker bounty hunter game. Star Wars can be awesome when it's done right.

It's based on something we like to call "experience". I'd love to gamble with you on anything, you must almost always lose.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 10:58 InBlack

Yeah its not like they have a proven track record of making bad games or anything...

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 10:34 StingingVelvet

4. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 10:19 Tumbler

Maybe this will surprise us like prey 2 did...hahah haahhaha...ah no.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo